AMD’s Pricing Structure, Does it make sense?

G

According to Pricewatch AMD’s flagship CPU, the T-Bird 1.33Ghz is selling for $197. Contrast this with the 1Ghz T-Bird, which is selling for $128. There is only a $70 difference between the two. Now tell me why anybody in his or her right mind, if given a choice, would pick the 1Ghz CPU? This is why 1.33Ghz parts are out of stock nearly everywhere you look. Nobody wants 1Ghz, 1.1Ghz, 1.13Ghz or 1.2Ghz CPU’s when they can get the flagship 1.33Ghz CPU for just a few dollars more. With this wacky pricing structure AMD is cutting their throats.

(A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Dude, $70 is alot to me, especially when I can get that extra .3GHz for free by OCing. It's a 60% increase in cost. I'd still get a 1.3Ghz though. But still, the fact that it is priced so close is good for people like me because we can get it so cheap.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

dhlucke

Polypheme
A 50%+ price difference is huge. The 1 Ghz OC's to 1.4+, so I'm not sure why I'd buy a 1.33 to be honest...

<font color=red>Did you ever wonder WHY aliens only abduct idiots?</font color=red>

G

a 60% increase in cost, and only a 30% increase in MHz.

Aklein

Life is hard...Live with it.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree.. like today for instance, I went into McDonalds and ordered a hamburger. They tried to get me to pay 30c more to upgrade it to a cheeseburger but I told them no, I would just overclock my hamburger. I'm glad I saved that 30c.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"a 60% increase in cost, and only a 30% increase in MHz."

This is odd to you? Look at the P4 pricing between the 1.4 and 1.7 and run the numbers again.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'd have to guess AMD have a fair idea of what they are doing. They can see their bottom lines and as people have said - AMD sell for their $$/performance ratio. There are a lot of people out there that figure 1Ghz is good enough for them (until the P4 it outperformed everything on the market other than faster AMDs.)

As someone said, 70 bucks is a lot of cash to some people. It is also be the difference between a GeForce MX and GTS - which would have more impact in gaming than 1Ghz to 1.33Ghz...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Yup.. my 1Ghz clocks up to 1.4Ghz without changing the multiplier or FSB.. sweet deal if you ask me.. compared to that most people have only been able to OC the 1.33 to like 1.53..

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Looks like another senseless post by you, without any thought. (i'm getting used to it by now)

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They must be doing something right. Their share of the market keeps on growing.....

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"a 60% increase in cost, and only a 30% increase in MHz"

did you forget 33% increase in FSB as well???

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

"my 1Ghz clocks up to 1.4Ghz without changing the multiplier or FSB"

That could be considered a miracle...

G

I was wondering how that worked! Thanks for explaining!!! :)

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
do you mean you have your multiplier at 10 and FSB at 100, and that works out as 100 x 10 = 1400???

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

It's a well known fact that your megahurtz per dollar decreases with the higher performance chips. The best value AMD chip you can buy at the moment is the Thunderbird 900MHz - it has by a shade the best sysmarks per dollar, or quake fps per dollar, or whatever.

The Durons are pretty good at this as well, methinks, although the figures I read don't take into account 'overclockability' for either range.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~