AMD 10 4655m

gregor1234

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
Hello.
I recently bought an HP Pavilion n083sa.
PC World sold it as having
1) dedicated graphics card &
2) amd a10 4655m processor speed: 2GHz -3.1 GHz with turbo boost
Is this correct?
The laptop just says 2GHz, nothing about turbo boost.
Also is the 2GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7620/8670 graphics card dedicated?

Solution
If the processor does have turbo boost, you'll never receive a message whether it turns on or not. Turbo boost automatically applies itself when necessary, when the stock frequency isn't enough to carry out an operation. And you seem to have 8 gigs of RAM, so you're good on that part.

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
According to AMD + HP, some of it is correct. The turbo boost is 2 GHz - 2.8 I think. It does seem to have the 8670M but that GPU seems to be nothing special, only sporting 384 stream processors, which is about the same as a AMD R7 250 discrete. Not much gaming can be done, only at lowest settings (maybe old, old games can get by at med)

gregor1234

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
Cheers!
I noticed the 2-2.8GHZ spec on an AMD page as well, but the laptop itself says nothing about turboboost / turbocore. Expected a feature like that to be displayed all over the laptop! Or does the user know if turbo boost is being used?
Hoping the 8GB RAM and (supposedly) dedicated graphics card will handle some basic CAD software, like Student Pro Engineer, or old ANSYS 5.4. The old laptop seemed to cope with Student Pro E fine, that was with 2GB RAM and (2.1 GHz) AMD E1..

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
If the processor does have turbo boost, you'll never receive a message whether it turns on or not. Turbo boost automatically applies itself when necessary, when the stock frequency isn't enough to carry out an operation. And you seem to have 8 gigs of RAM, so you're good on that part.

Solution

gregor1234

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
Thanks very much for getting back again. -I can stop searching for a "Turboboost On!" flashing light, now...
Have now to find Pro Engineer and ANSYS free downloads. Friends have copies but will have to investigate this 'torrents' thing. If I can find any free downloads will certainly publish their functionality -with these laptop specs- to the community.

Thanks again!

gregor1234

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
That's decided that, then!
How does one know if an offer is illegal? Plenty of sites seem to offer free downloads -nearly downloaded ANSYS 5.4 last night! The site didn't say 'Torrent,' but how does a user know if the site, or free download, is illegal?