AMD 1200

G

Hi,

Im planning to buy a amd 1200 and i have seen some of the retailers has those processors with an 266mhz extension... Whats the difference between that one and the "ordinary" one??

Wich memory shall i use? And wich is the best mobo for a AMD 1200??

Thanx in advance

//Ronsta

G

the differece is the FSB look at some of Toms old reviews to see teh performance difference .... if you can afford it go for a DDR Memory system the extra should be worth it...

Good Luck

M

UK Prices are <font color=red>toooooooooo</font color=red> high , keep competition going to bring em down :smile:

G

Remember that when you get a 266 chip that you need to have a motherboard that supports it!

Cronie

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Check Tom's articles and this forum - there's already a lot of good info out there on this. Also, you will find that 266 Athlons are more expensive than the 200s.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What they fail to tell you is the DDR version currently has problems. I would avoid them untill issues can be worked out.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1

AMD makes a processor that can destroy itself in under 10 seconds, you sure you want to buy one?

Go with the Pentium 3 1Ghz, you will be much happier in the long run, it may cost you 10 dollars more or less for your system, and you will know that your CPU cannot hurt itself like thousands of AMD processors have done in the recent past.

Ok, time for AMD lemmigs to chime in.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you are truly worried about your computer burning up, don't go with AMD. If you are unconfortable with installing a heatsink, then simply don't. FUGGER makes a valid point for those who are not very comfortable with computer hardware, but for many people, it isn't a big issue to worry about. A Pentium III 1 GHz costs about $245, while a 1.2 GHz Athlon is $232 for 266 mHz bus and $217 for 200 mHz bus. The 1.2 GHz Athlon will be a better performing chip than the Pentium III, even more so if you stick a DDR mainboard solution with it.

DDR is more expensive though, plus there is an issue of *possible* bugs in the AMD 760 DDR chipset. As I recall, they've pretty much been resolved with considering the couple month delay that it took to be released from when it was first announced. What I say you do is go with the 1.2 GHz Athlon (266 mHz bus) with a KT133A motherboard. It would be cheaper that way. You'd save a little over a Pentium III system, but would have a better performing computer because of the 20% boost in clock speed the Athlon would have over the Pentium III. If you were to go with a DDR system, you'd probably pay about $100 more and get about 10%-15% performance increase, give or take.

Or, if you wanted to save even more money, you could spend $166 on a 1 GHz Athlon and regular KT133 or KT133A motherboard, and attempt overclocking. But that could be dangerous for someone who doesn't know much about computers, so be warned and do a lot of research if you want to attempt it. You's save about $100 that way then going with an equivacably capable Pentium III system. With that, you could upgrade your video card, or whatever... Just my 2 cents.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

TRENDING THREADS