AMD 2007, 2008 QUAD CORE CPUs

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
The Inq has some interesting info on AMD's upcoming quad core cpus:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31649

The chat quickly turned to one of those never ending complaints about vendors' CPU design approaches. So, while Intel's Core 2 Duo and upcoming Core 2 Quad (Kentsfield, Clovertown, Tigerton) are at least generous with their cache sizes, to augment somewhat for the FSB headache, it seems that AMD doesn't seem to be a cache spendthrift in their future designs - more like a THRIFT only.

That's because the Athlon's are not bandwidth-starved like intel's offerings.

Look at the first example, the "Deerhound" quad-core CPU based on the K8L core tune-up, which AMD is supposed to ship in volumes during the 3rd quarter of 2007. This Opteron-class server CPU has only 2MB of shared L3 cache according to my deep throat - less than the L2 cache on the current Woodcrest! if each core has its own 1MB L2, and there are four of them, what extra use is such a small common L3 for? Well, two answers - one is to remove the inter-core and cache coherency traffic from the crossbar and keep it within that L3 cache. And the other? Well, AMD might again rely on "exclusive" cache policy, not copying the data from L2 into L3 in this case, but keeping additional code and data there.
I do hope this is the K8L they're talking about. And about the cache concern pointed by the author, I do think AMD is really confident about their processors not needing huge amounts of it. I do believe they have redesign the cache hierarchy since a great processor design doesn't needs enormus amounts of cache (can't say the same for intel) :roll:

Further in mid-2008, using the same 65 nm process, AMD refreshes its line with new quad-core parts: "Cerberus" high-end Opteron MP, and "Wolfhound" Opteron DP. While Cerberus enjoys a larger (but still somehow weak) 6 MB L3 cache together with fast 2.4 GHz HyperTransport 3 (19.2 GB/s bandwidth per link, to match the built-in DDR3 memory controller speed), its DP cousin still sticks with paltry 2 MB L3 - and, hey, that is mid 2008 period!
This guy still compares AMD's approach to that of intel's.

I really hope AMD rethinks this approach - while, yes, they do have the HyperTransport advantage (but, keep in mind, they don't OWN the whole standard), Intel's approach with Kentsfield / Clovertown / Tigerton in 6+ months gives them the dual 4 MB on die L2 caches, and memory disambiguation, somewhat absorbing the penalty of slow shared FSB. This might allow Intel to win on some benchmarks even with this early quad-core bolt-on job. Not to mention the 2008 "Bloomfield" native quad-core part with Nehalem (Core 3?) cores inside... µ
Yeah, sure. Toy benchmarks like superpi. :wink:

xombie2000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
The Inq has some interesting info

ox·y·mo·ron ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ks-môrn, -mr-)
n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra (-môr, -mr) or ox·y·mo·rons
A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.

You realize, that entire article was an opinion no real facts were presented.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I don't know what happened to the other thread I made about K8L. Anyhow, I'll post the link again:
http://www.sdbear.com/2/lib/200604/05/20060405425.htm

In constructs the double floating point calculation unit improvement overhead construction K8L, as K8 AMD64 inheriting, still supports soon Socket AM2 which goes on the market in June. (313 characters)

For should to Intel brand-new overhead construction Conroe and the Woodcrest processor challenge, the AMD plan the first half year puts out code number K8L in 2007 the new processor. The new processor most prominent characteristic is constructs in double FPU (floating point calculation unit), largely promotes the floating point performance. But regarding improved overhead construction K8L, whether has to change the processor connection? The answer is negative, processor similarly supports Socket based on K8L the overhead construction Sempron the AM2 platform.

It is reported, the code number will be the Brisbane K8L floating point calculation performance promotes 50%, will use the 65nm craft manufacture, and will support Socket which soon will promote the AM2 connection, will supportthe DDR2-800memory. Simultaneously AMD also will promote in 07 years second half year based on the K8L overhead construction code number will be the Sparta Semprons processor, similarly will support Socket AM2. Like this said that, the AM2 connection at least will be allowed to continue large-scale will go on the market to K8L, therefore, Socket the AM2 platform took in recent years the AMD mainstream tabletop overhead construction status will be invariable.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
9-Inch I was serious when I said get a blog, nobody cares about this fictitious or opinionated bullsh!t

!! Just checked, turns out that 9-inch's blog can be found at www.theinquirer.net !!

RichPLS

Champion
This just in, 9-inch is just an arbitrary D rating similar to AMD's P rating only even more insanely exaggerated... 9 inch is really closer resembles 9mm, except its usefulness will never be known.

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I wonder whatever happened to Z-RAM.

Once AMD develops good Z-RAM technology, they will be able to put huge cheap caches on their chips.

Or maybe Z-RAM has big practical problems?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
9-Inch I was serious when I said get a blog, nobody cares about this fictitious or opinionated ********

!! Just checked, turns out that 9-inch's blog can be found at www.theinquirer.net !!

I think you could be wrong.

I think his blog is http://sharikou.blogspot.com/

No, I think that is Sexbomb's blog. Or could it be Sexbomb=9-inch?

All sock puppets as far as I'm concerned.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I enjoy a lot of the articles 9-inch posts. Although it would be appriciated if his posts were not so biased. 9-inch listen people would enjoy you post and articles if you would not make intel to be a piece of crap.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
All sock puppets as far as I'm concerned.

The peronsification of 'group think'. It starts with one either posting or blogging out of thin air a postulate that is not based in fact, but is taken as fact because it is what they want to hear. It is sad really.

I think it goes well beyond "group think", given the amount of contradicting beliefs that they accept as truth, it would be more like Orwell's 1984 doublethink.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
LARGE CAPITAL LETTERS CATCHES YOUR ATTENTION

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
it's funny how this article is somewhat about new architecture, but more about the authors view on the subject and his ultimate opinion, which is not positive for AMD:

I really hope AMD rethinks this approach - while, yes, they do have...

granted, like the rest of it, it's all opinion, but still it's further proof of 9-inch's worthlessness as any sort of cpu enthusiast. you can't exclude the bad information and include only the good.

you know, 9-inch would make a good politician.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
When threads, even bad threads, deteriorate into, essentially, flames - they are going to be locked, deleted or moved.

9-inch, I suggest that you start a single thread where you can post all of your Inquirer links and rumors. This constant posting of links is becoming too distracting and diminishes the purpose of the CPU forum.

This thread is locked.