[SOLVED] AMD 3rd ryzen 3600 or wait for Intel 10th processor

May 19, 2019
hello tech guru .
i will be building a gaming and audio render machine for this summer.
but im too confuse which one to go with amd 3rd gen rygen 3600 (245$ free shipping)

OR
wait for intel 10th 10600 processor which might cost same during release.

which will be good for basic home studio and normal AAA gaming
GPU ,Ram and psu are not the issue.
so while using studio software this are my normal CPU load
20-25 vst third party pluggin
recording 4-8 track at same time while using real time effect on vst effect.

somebody told me to use ssd or m.2 to run program like ( reaper, fl studio and etc)like the operating system which is be faster red and write then normal HDD.

a

Solution
There is always something new coming, it never ends. When Intels 10th gen releases, are you going to ask if you should wait for Zen 3? If so, you will never buy anything. Who knows when Intel will release anything. The fact that they only plan to release 10nm laptops for now is not a good sign. Yields are probably down the toilet for any bigger chips, like desktop parts.

Do you need something now? Buy it.
If there is no need, don't buy it.

A midrange system will last 3 years. A high-end 5 years.
Plan upgrades accordingly.

SSD = 500 megabytes/s
NVME SSD = 2000+ megabytes/s.
Spinning rust (SATA harddrive) = 100-150 megabytes/s

From what I've read (in the last 2 minutes), SSDs improve loading times of instruments and similar things...

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
i heard that 10nm wont come out until next year. so that depends on you if u are in rush u might want get zen 2. but also there is a rumor that intel might release another refresh of 14nm to compete with zen 2

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
There is always something new coming, it never ends. When Intels 10th gen releases, are you going to ask if you should wait for Zen 3? If so, you will never buy anything. Who knows when Intel will release anything. The fact that they only plan to release 10nm laptops for now is not a good sign. Yields are probably down the toilet for any bigger chips, like desktop parts.

Do you need something now? Buy it.
If there is no need, don't buy it.

A midrange system will last 3 years. A high-end 5 years.
Plan upgrades accordingly.

SSD = 500 megabytes/s
NVME SSD = 2000+ megabytes/s.
Spinning rust (SATA harddrive) = 100-150 megabytes/s

From what I've read (in the last 2 minutes), SSDs improve loading times of instruments and similar things. Some users swear by them.
But normal track-editing, not so much.

Reactions: Gedikpasha
Solution
Intel was a tough sell a month ago, but now it is just insane to buy one. And I say this as an Intel enthusiast as I have had a lot of their CPUs. They have had the best CPUs for a long time, but not any more.
Totally agree, there really is no logical choice to purchase intel. Especially for high res gpu bound gaming. I really have an itch to purchase a 3600. I might wait for black friday deals.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I just bought the Ryzen 5 3600 as an upgrade from my FX 8350, if you're going to buy one, I'd do it now since you'll get the most enjoyment out of it. The 3600 matches the i7 8700K which cost twice as much upon release, and has a mere 65W TDP. Intel 10th gen CPUs aren't going to be any less expensive than the 9th generation processors are, since OEM manufacturers use Intel CPUs almost exclusively except for a few outliers. The lack of a price cut for the 9th generation processors prove this, as you'd be crazy to buy a 9900K over a Ryzen 9 3900X unless you needed an iGPU for whatever reason.

6ghz?!

The cooling needed for that...
Someone set their bar a tad high, LOL!
All it has to to is boost one thread to 6G for like 2 sec's. Or pop it up for 1mSec every 50mSec or so. Just so you can put it in the advertising literature.

Even the current 9900K only boosts to 5.1G for a short burst then rolls way back. That's how even a Ryzen 3700x can beat it in all-core productivity on some long-duration tasks. After the initial 4.4G boost it continues to boost more cores throughout a long task to something like 4.2-4.25G.

I wonder if Intel can improve power efficiency enough to compete with that on the current process node, however many pluses it has.

Reactions: SgtScream

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All it has to to is boost one thread to 6G for like 2 sec's. Or pop it up for 1mSec every 50mSec or so. Just so you can put it in the advertising literature.

Even the current 9900K only boosts to 5.1G for a short burst then rolls way back. That's how even a Ryzen 3700x can beat it in all-core productivity on some long-duration tasks. After the initial 4.4G boost it continues to boost more cores throughout a long task to something like 4.2-4.25G.

I wonder if Intel can improve power efficiency enough to compete with that on the current process node, however many pluses it has.
It simply can't be done...
All the 'lakes' after sky - through a more refined process - have basically been overclocked versions of the original, producing more heat, and drawing more power. They can't keep doing this...
Ok, maybe they can, but the gains just won't be worth it.
Intel needs a new arch - no more lakes.

Can't make a case for buying Intel now, and wouldn't bother waiting for 10th gen (14nm+++). The performance on the architecture has peaked and they will only add more cores and more heat before they get their 10nm production on track.

I own tons of Intels (laptops and an i7 desktop CPU) and I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my new 3700x.

Reactions: SgtScream