AMD 40nm RV740 with GDDR5 Coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]ViDER[/nom]If this one comes close to my HD3870 and is only powered by the PCI-E slot than I'm definitely buying it! Keep it up AMD![/citation]

This thing will smoke your 3870. The 4830 does.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]judeh101[/nom]Wait till I get this card, hopefully it doesn't have the huge die like GTX 280 or 295, and hopefully it can run cooler.Another hope, crysis will run medium-high details with this card?[/citation]

Apparently, you don't follow tech. NVidia went with a monolithic die, while AMD shrunk theirs and tried to stick to a lower power envelope. This thing uses half the energy that the 280 does. Crysis should run ok with this card, not fantastic, but certainly not bad.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]trinix[/nom]I bet it's cheaper to use GDDR5 than it is to use 256bit for this card. So they decided to go for the GDDR5, buying more reducing the cost of GDDR5, as they need a lot more, more will be produced, moving the market from GDDR3 to 5. It's a good move. We will see a lot from this little red devil. They might not be as fast as the 295, but they at least produce cards people want to play games on for a price people are willing to pay. Because except for the few elites, who really has 3 or 4 280's or 4870 together and enjoying it. People want 4850's and 9800's because they are affordable and give good performance.With this card, we will see performance like the 4850 for half the price. What else do you want (yes 295 performance for under 100$ but that will not happen while it's the best card on the block ).[/citation]

What else do I want? I want to see the return of PC gaming...hopefully lower prices on solid midranged cards will help. Of course, the next generation of consoles will likely not cost $600 either...

Roland00

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
until we test it we won't know its speed. Regardless it will probably have the same clock or a higher clock than the 4830. If it is the same clock as the 4830 it should be the same speed of the 4830 which is comparable to the 8800gt.

8800gt speeds in the $99 dollar price bracket...and with the die shrink it is possible to have the chip be in the 75w tdp bracket, which means it probably can work with a crappy OEM powersupply from HP, Gateway, Dell, etc.

Even if you don't plan on using this card this card is a great thing for computer gaming.

Roland00

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
and while you could always do quad crossfire with this baby if you can fit enough of the die on a board or your motherboard would support it, why would you want 4 graphic cards on the same die when 3 should perform almost the same and would dramatically reduce costs.

G

Nobody WANTS a midrange card. They should make top o the line cards, and bring prices down when fabrication costs drop. There is no other way.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I haven't seen any numbers to bear this out, but that sounds ridiculous on the face of it. You mean there's no demand for graphics cards that fall between the ridiculously pricey and the dirt cheap? Or that such demand can be filled with yesteryear's high end cards once they become so old that they're affordable?

The VR-Zone article says "Q2 2009" Is that April 1st, or June 30th? Also, any news about the next high-end video card? I'm sure ATI will not want the GTX 295 leading for too long, so what are they preparing?

hannibal

Distinguished
They have to test first how this new middle range card will do. They are moving to new production node, so it is easier to start with something simplier at first. Other thing is that they have said that the next "new" card would be DX11, so I would expect to see it near the time when win7 is ready and the specks are set. Until then, maybe some more of those die shrinks... But who knows. Win7 will be out near the end of this year... or then much later ;-) But really I don't think so. Because of all this Vista hate around, I think that they try to make it ready as early as possible. So it's possible to see "new" higher end ATI card at Q4 of this year. It depends on how these Nvidia shrinks works out. For a long time seeing ATI is not in particularly hurry. They can wait before any new innovations, because Nvidia is "behind" in DX-segment... I am guite sure, that if this 40nm RV740 is any good, it's possible to see smaller version of 4870, but it's allso guite possible that ATI will go directly to DX11 card much late in this year. It will all depends on how good yeald they get from this 40nm node. If they are not so good, they stick on old untill the new cards come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.