Question AMD 5 3600 cooling

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Hello. I have a AMD 5 3600 CPU with a small Wraith Spire cooler. I have a Wraith MAX I could install if needed. Using Heavy Load and stressing the CPU for 1hr at 100% CAM reports the CPU at 75 degrees C. The BIOS reported it at 53 degrees C. I do not game at all. Am I ok and I can get rid of the Waith MAX cooler?

thanks all

I'd use Prime95 small fft's to test for max temps at a given voltage. Then you know for sure where your temps are at.

But if it maxed at 75c (which I doubt), that would be a good result.

With that said, you have the Wraith Max. It's a better cooler and is rated up to 145w. It will keep your CPU a little cooler the Spire. I'd just swap them out. Keep the Spire as a backup.

Monitor the system with HWMon/Info while running Prime. Make sure to disable the AVX options or use version 26.6.

Reactions: keef_ca

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
I'd use Prime95 small fft's to test for max temps at a given voltage. Then you know for sure where your temps are at.
Thanks for the reply. Prime95 failed to load and I do not have the time right now to chase down the problem. I tried Heavy Load again at 100% for 1hr and the temp was reported at 75 degrees C in the AMD Ryzen Master Utility package.

I think I will swap the coolers and later figure out what was the problem with Prime95.

I appreciate the help.

keef

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Sounds about right...I looked at the MAX cooler and it has that leaver you have to snap down. That I'm not excited about . The cooler on now I loosened the mb brackets and slipped the clips over them, it was painless and without any undue pressure. I have seen some of the installation struggles on Youtube with the MAX cooler.

thanks

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014

But if it maxed at 75c (which I doubt), that would be a good result.

I tried AIDA64 maxing out the CPU to 100% and all three temperature reporting is the same, AIDA64, CAM and AMD Ryzen Master, ~65 degrees C after 30 minutes. Pretty darn cool if accurate. I am using quality tools, I do not understand why my numbers could be so far off what is typical.

keef

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newegg.com/amp/amd-wraith-coolers-199-999575/p/N82E16835205003

Is that your cooler? I have the wraith prism, which is about the same I believe except has rgb. It's really not that hard to install. What I do with some of those amd coolers is to try to latch the side first without the bracket, then maybe use a finger to hold it into place, and once you get the other side latched, just pull down the arm.

Those coolers are cake compared to some of the larger air coolers. Anyone own the cooler master v6 cooler?

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
My 3600 has stock settings, totally unmolested. Using AMD Ryzen Master software with HeavyLoad at 100% my temps still stay low. However what I do see is the EDC (CPU) dial in the yellow 87% of 90a used. When I look up EDC it I get lost with all the VRM and voltage stuff.

Is this ok?

thanks guys.

Bj

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Heavy Load is exactly that, a heavy load. It's not a MAX Load. That's why your temps are screwey. Prime95 small fft is a clean 100% constant load on all cores, all threads. It's going to give you the maximum out of that cpu. Fully expect it to drive the cpu into throttle temps with that smaller cooler.

I've installed hundreds of coolers over the years, including every single version of the Hyper212 except the new one. And it's still the absolute biggest pita I've ever come across. The Wraith Max/Prism is child's play in comparison.

Heavy Load is exactly that, a heavy load. It's not a MAX Load. That's why your temps are screwey. Prime95 small fft is a clean 100% constant load on all cores, all threads.

Precisely!

The wraith max/prism is actually impressive for a stock cooler. My 1700x is clocked to 3.8ghz on it full time. IE I turned off all the power saving functions in bios etc so it actually holds that speed all the time. It tops out around 66-68 under full load.

Same for me on my 1600x. 3,9 with the Wraith MAX. At 1.3v, @ 3.9 my temps never go over 75c on Prime95.