[SOLVED] AMD 5000 series

Oct 26, 2020
Hello, guys I want to know do my 9900K is still a beast or should I build a PC on AMD 5000 series I saw many peoples said that 5000 series are far better is that truth, do 5000 series CPUs worth upgrade over my 9900K. My priority is Gaming, Streaming and Editing.

Solution
Hello, guys I want to know do my 9900K is still a beast or should I build a PC on AMD 5000 series I saw many peoples said that 5000 series are far better is that truth, do 5000 series CPUs worth upgrade over my 9900K. My priority is Gaming, Streaming and Editing.

There are already 1,500 reviews on the web and youtube covering the new processors. They all agree, they are the best you can get.

However your performance uplift on video games will be roughly <=10%. This is based on 1080p gaming over your current intel setup. On 4K gaming, you will hardly notice any lift as these are GPU limited typically.

The value really isn't there though. They are $50 more than Zen 2 launch prices, and most don't have a CPU cooler (Ryzen...

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I have a Ryzen 7 3700x which is similar in performance to your 9900K for streaming and Video editing/Encoding (but slower for gaming) and I personally will not be looking at the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs as an upgrade for a year or more.

And as far as gaming goes the 5600x, 5800x and 5900x are only slightly better than your 9900K in the few early reviews.
Look at these:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/17.html

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
5900x is similar to 10900k at stock speeds for gaming, havent seen overclocked comparisons but usually intel has edge in those. If you can get the 9900k running for 5ghz all cores you will get same fps than 5900x stock in games, probably even better in games like fortnite/csgo/overwatch. Meanwhile in editing amd outperforms intel with big margins.

Maybe oc your 9900k to the max and then check if its enough paired with fast dual channel ram.

Oct 26, 2020
Ok, thank you and which graphics card you are using I am using 2080Ti, even on graphics card many people says 3000 series and 6000 series are far better then 2080 Ti so is it true

Oct 26, 2020
5900x is similar to 10900k at stock speeds for gaming, havent seen overclocked comparisons but usually intel has edge in those. If you can get the 9900k running for 5ghz all cores you will get same fps than 5900x stock in games, probably even better in games like fortnite/csgo/overwatch. Meanwhile in editing amd outperforms intel with big margins.

Maybe oc your 9900k to the max and then check if its enough paired with fast dual channel ram.
As I heard in Adobe Premiere Pro software uses Intel's iGPU for faster rendering

Yes 3080 and 3090 are better but this completely depends on what game are you playing and are you doing it on competitive (low) settings or not. For example fortnite / overwatch and csgo you will not gain ANYTHIGN going from 2080ti to 3000 series

It would be hard to fathom suddenly considering a 9900K/10700K as 'slow, must upgrade' just because some new CPUs are out that are a tad faster...

There are a plethora of reviews out right now on 5600X, 5800X, 5900x with the 10700K thrown in the mix...; if you consider jumping from 130 fps to 137 fps as a 'must upgrade' moment, feel free.(there were HUGE gains in CS:GO, however, but again, 660 fps vs. 600? :)

It would be hard to fathom suddenly considering a 9900K/10700K as 'slow, must upgrade' just because some new CPUs are out that are a tad faster...

There are a plethora of reviews out right now on 5600X, 5800X, 5900x with the 10700K thrown in the mix...; if you consider jumping from 130 fps to 137 fps as a 'must upgrade' moment, feel free.(there were HUGE gains in CS:GO, however, but again, 660 fps vs. 600? :)

Right on point, i see you have 7700k, if i had that cpu overclocked at 4.7ghz i would not consider upgrading to 10th gen yet, ipc gains are really little.

There are already 1,500 reviews on the web and youtube covering the new processors. They all agree, they are the best you can get.

However your performance uplift on video games will be roughly <=10%. This is based on 1080p gaming over your current intel setup. On 4K gaming, you will hardly notice any lift as these are GPU limited typically.

The value really isn't there though. They are $50 more than Zen 2 launch prices, and most don't have a CPU cooler (Ryzen 5600X is the only one that has a cooler built in) A descent B550 board is $175. A descent CPU cooler will be another $75+. To get the most out of it you should use 2x16 4000MHz DDR4 memory. That will run you about $200+.

If you can wait till January/February and intels rocket lake to show up. That should take back the crown and bring back down these CPU prices.

Competition is a good thing.

Solution
Ok, thank you and which graphics card you are using I am using 2080Ti, even on graphics card many people says 3000 series and 6000 series are far better then 2080 Ti so is it true

NVIDIA 3080 10Gig series nearly doubles ray tracing performance over the 2080ti.
AMD 6800XT 16Gig is just as fast in rasterization if you have a Ryzen 5000 and B550/X570 chipset. But it's only a tad faster than a 2080ti in Ray tracing.

3070 is 8 Gigs of memory. It is still faster than your 2080ti. However it's memory size limitation will hurt it @ 4K gaming. 10Gigs should be the minimum. 12Gigs is ideal. 16+Gig is overkill unless you do 3D work, and video editing.

I'm a little leery of the 3080 for 4K because of the memory. It's right on the edge of what I call acceptable. But I can't justify a 6800XT's lackluster RT performance. Ray Tracing is the next big thing if people want to admit it or not. It has had time to mature in the last two years, and the games list is growing.

Word is NVIDIA will be launch a 3080ti in spring to counter AMD's top offerings. It will feature at least 12GB memory, possibly 20GB.

Again competition is a good thing.

The same arguments (or mentality) that made a 9900K...and 10900K...or even 8700K or 7700K... that preceded them so desireable in their day are equally as relevant today with a 5600X...or 5900X... or whatever. If you want the absolute best, or if upgrading from old enough tech, there's only one that will do it.

But all logic goes out the window once you're past 'which gives me the most FPS'. So the thing is, there are a lot of people who've only recently laid out a huge sum of money for 10900K, custom closed loop cooling, high-end Z490 motherboard and 1000W PSU (needed when paired with a 3080) only to see a bargain basement CPU and motherboard with a fairly standard air cooler put it all to shame. Gotta be hard living with that.

So...if you can look past all that, i have to think your 9900k will remain perfectly relevant for a long, long time. It's the GPU, anyway, that matters most in gaming unless you're stuck at low resolution for some reason.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020

The value really isn't there though. They are $50 more than Zen 2 launch prices, and most don't have a CPU cooler (Ryzen 5600X is the only one that has a cooler built in) A descent B550 board is $175. A descent CPU cooler will be another $75+. To get the most out of it you should use 2x16 4000MHz DDR4 memory. That will run you about $200+.

If you can wait till January/February and intels rocket lake to show up. That should take back the crown and bring back down these CPU prices.

Intel should do something good

Oct 26, 2020
Can I also able to produce heavy 4K videos with fast render times and also stream and play together at stable FPS
The same arguments (or mentality) that made a 9900K...and 10900K...or even 8700K or 7700K... that preceded them so desireable in their day are equally as relevant today with a 5600X...or 5900X... or whatever. If you want the absolute best, or if upgrading from old enough tech, there's only one that will do it.

But all logic goes out the window once you're past 'which gives me the most FPS'. So the thing is, there are a lot of people who've only recently laid out a huge sum of money for 10900K, custom closed loop cooling, high-end Z490 motherboard and 1000W PSU (needed when paired with a 3080) only to see a bargain basement CPU and motherboard with a fairly standard air cooler put it all to shame. Gotta be hard living with that.

So...if you can look past all that, i have to think your 9900k will remain perfectly relevant for a long, long time. It's the GPU, anyway, that matters most in gaming unless you're stuck at low resolution for some reason.

Can I also able to produce heavy 4K videos with fast render times and also stream and play together at stable FPS

Oct 26, 2020
Intel should do something good

Oct 26, 2020

Oct 26, 2020

If you want the best at those things in a desktop CPU get 5950X. To see how much better just watch some reviews. To do any better for rendering you'd have to move into HEDT platforms which means a Threadripper. While those aren't as great in gaming due to higher latency and lower single thread performance if you want to play a game with steady FPS while rendering out a 4kvideo at the same time it's probably the only platform you can do that on.

Last edited: