[SOLVED] AMD 5600X underclock to 1.7 GHz

Mar 18, 2021
Hello,
I'm having trouble solving my problem - my AMD 5600x's core clock falls to 1.7 GHz on anything that is not a long and extensive load (rise up to 4.5-4.6 then). Temps usually under 40 C.
This behavior slows the daily use of the PC considerably.
I didn't find similar cases online.

CPU: amd ryzen 5600x
MB: asus b550m plus wifi - BIOS: Version 1804
RAM: Tridentz 16GB 3600

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
More than likely it's a combination of things. Windows just had a major update and that has a tendency to mess with a bunch of windows settings, things like power plans, sound settings, game bar settings etc. Anything it tweaked/fixed/poked it's nose in gets set back to default. Combine that with some drivers, like gpu drivers, motherboard chipset drivers, even bios at times and it can have funky results.

I'd start with a trip through bios. Look at everything, make sure it's still as it should be. Ram settings still on xmp, fclock exactly half of that (1800) etc.

Then look in Windows power plan, you should be on ryzen/and balanced, and under advanced hibernation/hybrid sleep disabled.

You might as well take a trip to your...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You move the mouse, 1 core boosts to max. Mouse stops, clocks lower to resting.

You play a game, as many cores as needed boost to the maximum clocks sustainable inside power limits and temp restrictions and stay there until not needed, then drop back to rest.

OC on a Ryzen isn't about getting the highest clocks possible. Ryzen OC is getting the most performance out of each core. You'll get more performance out of 4.4GHz at 60° than pushing limits and temps to 80° as that'll drop multiple core multipliers down to 4.1GHz only one will maybe be at the 4.4GHz still.

Tune your ram/fclock/cpu voltages. You'll get more efficiency out of each clock, that equals more fps, even if clocks are lower than absolute maximum.

Reactions: CountMike
Mar 18, 2021
Thanks Karadjgne for the reply, but I do not game and I did not OC my CPU - only set my RAM to its 3600 MHz.
My CPU idle clock was 3.6 up until a few days ago, and then it started to set to 1.72 (only rises if I stress test it). and stays there even if I run a matlab simulation or use some Solidworks modeling (student) - it slows my PC considerably from what it used to be.

I ordered my pc components myself - to whom should I refer the problem? Motherboard or CPU manufacture? or is it software related (windows)?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
More than likely it's a combination of things. Windows just had a major update and that has a tendency to mess with a bunch of windows settings, things like power plans, sound settings, game bar settings etc. Anything it tweaked/fixed/poked it's nose in gets set back to default. Combine that with some drivers, like gpu drivers, motherboard chipset drivers, even bios at times and it can have funky results.

I'd start with a trip through bios. Look at everything, make sure it's still as it should be. Ram settings still on xmp, fclock exactly half of that (1800) etc.

Then look in Windows power plan, you should be on ryzen/and balanced, and under advanced hibernation/hybrid sleep disabled.

You might as well take a trip to your motherboard vendor website too and update the bios and chipset package.

Use ccleaner to clear out old files, temp files etc. Use the registry tool (say yes to backup) and clear up that.

Solution
Mar 18, 2021
Thanks!
It was a stupid windows power plan issue ("Power Saver"), didn't think to search there, basic thing to overlook...
Sorry for the inconvenience!

No worries.

Not sure why Microsoft being the massive company they are can't figure out how to tune default settings for Ryzen.

At least your cpu was at 1.7ghz. my 3600 locked itself to 560mhz on a few cores while in game while set to "performance mode". So much for performance.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No inconvenience at all. I actually prefer it when ppl ask Before jumping to conclusions and doing a bunch of stuff for nothing, potentially making the issue worse.

You might feel a little silly over such an overlook, but imagine how silly you'd feel after tearing the pc completely apart, breadboarding it, rma'ing the cpu or motherboard, reinstalling windows (power plan still set to saver) and cussing out the neighbor because after all that, you are over-frustrated.

And then you find that stupid setting...

Reactions: dorsai

TRENDING THREADS