[SOLVED] AMD 5600XT vs 5700

Mar 18, 2020
I am looking to get a graphics card around 250 - 300. I have found the Sapphire rx 5600 xt. Apparently it had a bios update but is now alright. I am wondering whether the 5600 xt with its new bios update is better than the sapphire radeon rx 5700. Does the 5700 have a bios update or not as well.
-Thanks

Solution
Would an overclocked 5600xt be better than a normal 5700 then?

It somewhat depends - the issue with the 5600xt is the fact it uses only 6gb of GDDR6 memory on a reduced 192 bit memory bus compared to the 5700 running a full 8gb on the full 256 bit bus.

Different games require different things out of the gpu - some games scale best with core clock speed (e.g. Forza Horizon 4)... in those titles the reduced memory size / bus width won't matter much so you might be able to outpace a 5700 at stock speed. However other games are more dependent on memory and then the 5700 will always win due to having the stronger memory system (e.g. the new Doom Eternal won't even allow you to enable to highest graphics settings on the 5600xt as...
The 5700 is still better than a 5600xt with vBIOS update. Due to memory differences. If the prices are the same I'd get the 5700. This update was to increase the clock rates to better compete with the GeForce 2600 after nVidia dropped the price.

The only vBIOS update I'm aware of for the 5700 is actually a mod to flash it with a 5700XT vBIOS. Which allows heavier overclocking. The 5700XT is still better due to more stream processors.

Mar 18, 2020
stick with 1 thread. don't spam the forum
They are currently both around the same price. My problem is either going for a reputable saphire pulse rx 5600xt or going for a cheap blower style 5700. Which would be better?

They are currently both around the same price. My problem is either going for a reputable saphire pulse rx 5600xt or going for a cheap blower style 5700. Which would be better?

Personally I'd get the 5700, as there are games out now that are limited by the 6gb of vram on the 5600xt (e.g. Doom Eternal limits some modes on the 5600xt). That said, I've never really been bothered by a bit of fan noise (also the 5700 isn't that bad acoustically even with the blower, at least at stock settings).

Would an overclocked 5600xt be better than a normal 5700 then?

It somewhat depends - the issue with the 5600xt is the fact it uses only 6gb of GDDR6 memory on a reduced 192 bit memory bus compared to the 5700 running a full 8gb on the full 256 bit bus.

Different games require different things out of the gpu - some games scale best with core clock speed (e.g. Forza Horizon 4)... in those titles the reduced memory size / bus width won't matter much so you might be able to outpace a 5700 at stock speed. However other games are more dependent on memory and then the 5700 will always win due to having the stronger memory system (e.g. the new Doom Eternal won't even allow you to enable to highest graphics settings on the 5600xt as it doesn't have enough vram).

So effectively the 5700 is going to be more consistent - I also think 8gb of vram is the sweet spot moving forward. 6gb cards are enough for most games right now, 4gb cards are really the minimum you can get away with. In another year I think 6gb cards are going to struggle in more games.

Solution