Question AMD 5800X temp is 91C when idle & is throttled to less than 1Ghz ?

Oct 6, 2021
Windows 11 RTM
AMD 5800x
Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master Ref 1.2 Bios F34
Gigabyte Nvidia 3700
MSI Vampriric Liquie Cooler Bundle (Buy MSI Vampiric Liquid Cooler Bundle | Cases | Scorptec Computers )
  • MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R CPU Cooler
Never had issues in the past, never looked at CPU temperature or speed... Issues started last weekend.

New World game - Intermittent negative experience:
  • (intermittent) Very slow boot up times
  • (intermittent) FPS drop to ~10fps or so (down from ~60-80fps)
  • (intermittent) Random reboots of my computer
Blamed on the state of the newly released New World optimisation...

However, realised my CPU was throttling to ~800Mhz...Checked CPU temperature- - 92oC even when idle on the desktop?
  • CPU throttling coincides at the same time I have intermittent performance issues with games.
Immediate action - clean CPU cooler system (MSI 240r CPU Water Cooling) and clean/ reapply CPU thermal paste.
  • 1st bootup, idle temp was ~60oC to start with... then 80oC... then shot up to 91oC
  • desktop idlingmy CPU temp... according to CPUD HWMonitor... is a constant 91OC (196oF) ??
During desktop idling my CPU temp - according to CPUD HWMonitor - constant 91oC to 92oC (196oF) ??

Is there an issue here, should HWMonir report 91oC all the time?

From memory, when I first built my computer from scratch in ~Nov 2020..... the CPU temp was ~40oC or something idle.... (I THINK).... concerning its now 91oC idle.

Take Note:- I did feel both threaded pipes in the MSI CPU water cooler... both were hot which was odd... expected one to be the cold inlet... fans on and lights flashing so appears to be running.

In bios... i have no overclocking or tweaking settings to the CPU.. only running SSDs in RAID 0.

Image of HWID at https://ibb.co/4M2Ggyj

Oct 6, 2021
Its the pump... i moved the power cable to another fan slot and I can hear a noise - similar to old spindle on HD spinning...

CPU temperature drops for a few minutes, then the noise stops and the temperature goes up again.

SysFan4 <----> SysFan5 Pump - interchanging... sounds like pump starts then dies after a few moments

https://ibb.co/KsKVbzT

Oct 6, 2021
I assume ived plugged it in the right place, it has a x3pin held cable connector with a bracket on the backet to ensure it goes over the correct 3.. of 4 available pins.
  • Its been in SysFan5 Pump for over a year without me noticing anything until last weekend
I will try RMA the AIO tomorrow and get a new one - any suggestions of any upgrades... guesing 240r is the max size due to where the radiator sits on the top of my case

https://ibb.co/zb9PRqQ

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R CPU Cooler
It strikes again...
If it's mounted at the top, you will inevitably be forced to move it because the pump is in the radiator.
This particular unit, for the best longevity, has to be front mounted with the tube inlets and outlets of the radiator at the bottom.
Oh, and mount the fans behind the radiator to pull air inside the chassis. Don't do push, as the fans would be too close to the front panel wall.

If moving the radiator doesn't work, then the pump might've kicked the bucket.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, I'm not laughing, but rather shaking my head after reading that.
Mounting it at the top does work - but not for very long.
Over time, fluid volume decreases and air volume increases. Air will make its way to the top of the loop - where the pump happens to be.
The pump should always be immersed in fluid, to prevent friction as well as keep it cool.
Keeping it up top is just asking to send the pump to an early grave.

Msi priced these coolers aggressively, and now there are more and more threads on these and other Pump-In-Radiator coolers performing poorly, because they were mounted at the top.

Oct 6, 2021
RMA's the AIO. New AIO my idle temp back to ~40oc :)

The positioning of my AIO was correct, its at the top of the case with radiator and fans blowing air through an inlet,
  • the WaterBlock with the pump is on the CPU - therefore the water block is below the radiator and fans.
https://ibb.co/pvDMqGZ

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
RMA's the AIO. New AIO my idle temp back to ~40oc :)

The positioning of my AIO was correct, its at the top of the case with radiator and fans blowing air through an inlet,
  • the WaterBlock with the pump is on the CPU - therefore the water block is below the radiator and fans.
https://ibb.co/pvDMqGZ
Who cares what their promotional images show? NZXT had Gamersnexus write a blog post saying not to mount AIOs with the tubing at the top of the radiator, while still showing pics with the tubes on the top all over their site

BTW that's a CoolerMaster AIO in that pic, it's a promo pic for the CASE not the AIO. It's not even the same AIO as yours which has a completely different pump position. Hell, if you just scroll down the page(https://www.scorptec.com.au/bundle/cases/atx/910-mag-vampiric-010xplusmag-core-liquid-240r) it even shows that same pic about the pump being in the radiator

Oct 6, 2021
After watching several youtubes... speaking to staff who replaced my AIO....

People are ill advised, i'll try fit the radiator so its vertical with the tubes at the bottom and radiator top above the CPU for airbubble accumilation.
  • initial observation without trying... the GPU is in the way of where the tubes will be outletting the radiator

We can only live and learn!! If the radiator block doesn't fit vertical... then i have no option but to leave it at the top then RMA each time the pump packs out in lieu of their botched advertising!

Oct 20, 2021
Lol, I have the same cooler and CPU and am experiencing the same issues. First, I hear a whine coming from the cooler, and my temperatures keep rising slowly over time. Then the fans ramp up, and it gets hotter and hotter. I used to get 40-45 c on idle and 65-70c on load now; however, I get 65c+ on idle and 80c+ and rising on load.