Question amd 5950x is it good for video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I do transcoding from HD ISO to MKV - different from rendering with virtually no dependency on GPU - all CPU-bound. I have a 3950X and a 10700K - the 3950X will run two encoder instances concurrently and complete the jobs faster than the 10700K finishes a single encode. The 5950X will shred the 6700 for tasks that can utilize all of its cores.

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
with 5950X how many encoder instance can you open than and in time how long will it take

I primarily use Handbrake and do H.264 at quality settings 18.0 - 22.0 with Very Slow setting for best quality/smallest file size.

The time to process varies depending upon video length and content.

A 'typical' file will run my 10700K at 100% (single instance) and take 1.5 hours.

On my 3950X I run two instances and CPU utilization varies from 80% to 100% depending on the file content and how much compression is occurring.

In this scenario, I can process two 'typical' files in 1.25 hours - thus getting more than double the output of the 10700K.

I haven't tried three encodes but it would be a consideration if I found CPU usage falling into the 75%-80% range consistently.

I have 32 GB 3600/CL16 RAM and rarely hit 50% in use. No overclocking other than enabling DOCP.

humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020
with 5950X will it render fast though reason am asking because i am new to amd and i was mainly intel cpu user.
i have i7 6700k and not overclocked but it is good cpu can do some video editing but may take render time of a lengthy project upto 1hr to 8hr depending on how many affects is applied to composition.

i never ever se cpu benchmark on render they always use benchmark tools for c4d and other tools no videos on youtube showing realtime render in after effects.

80% of youtube benchmark videos of cpu are usless they use games to benchmark lol this is a joke.
why will you use games to benchmark high core level cpu and compare other cpu.
to test if cpu is strong use application benchmarks instead such as c4d,after effects,blender,maya they will show how strong a cpu can be using one or all cores, video games benchmark just to show fps is a joke i see it that way.

highest score rating in benchmarks will let you know if your pc can handle games at 4k.

Status
Not open for further replies.