AMD 64 4000 Overclocked to 3.00Ghz but....

Charnondall

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
I've overclocked my Athlon 4000 to an almighty 3.00Ghz(250x12) and its running stable, thing is i was only able to do this by reducing my ram from 400 down to 333.

I'm wondering if this is because of my RAM due to the fact i have 2gb of ram, a 1gb stick of Kingston HyperX and then 2 sticks of 512of cheapo ram, does the ram have such a huge effect on overclocking? If so and i removed the 2 cheapo sticks and only have 1gb how much effect would this have on my gaming performance, or should i just fork out for another 1gb stick of HyoerX?

drnoobfragger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
The problem is your at 12x250 and your ram uses the same bus speed so in thery if set to 400 you would have DDR500 wich is to high so 333+the extra 50 on the bus is actually still ddr 433 wich is still OC pretty good

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
You are running 3 sticks of memory, which means it is not running in dual channel mode. Pay up for another 1gb stick if you want to get the most out of your computer.

Charnondall

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
ultimately what is my best kinda overclocking potential for my system? I read OC's for various systems and people have huge FSB numbers like 300 and reduced multipliers like 10.

So in essence what is the best CPU / Memory relationship something like 300x10 or 250x12, and which ram frequency would match up well with either?

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
ultimately what is my best kinda overclocking potential for my system? I read OC's for various systems and people have huge FSB numbers like 300 and reduced multipliers like 10.

So in essence what is the best CPU / Memory relationship something like 300x10 or 250x12, and which ram frequency would match up well with either?
First figure out what the max speed of your memory is by lowering your multiplier and raising the fsb. Run prime95 and if it fails it's your memory, since your cpu will still be underclocked. If it doesn't fail after a couple hours then keep raising your fsb until it does fail, and that will tell you what your max memory speed is. I honestly suggest getting another 1 gig stick though, you will gain a huge performance boost if it's running in dual channel mode.

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
You are running 3 sticks of memory, which means it is not running in dual channel mode. Pay up for another 1gb stick if you want to get the most out of your computer.

matched sets only so that might not work either ;)I know that, but he was wondering if he should pay up for another of the same type, so I told him thats a good idea.

Bungsta

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
if you download and run that program I mentioned before, cpu-z (it's a small free program takes 10 seconds to download) it will tell you everything you need to know, including cpu voltage, fsb speeds, cpu speed, cache size and speed, core revision and name, memory timings and speed and channel, and more. it's a must have for any overclocker, get it!

As said grab cpu-z and post some pics.

Some old chipsets(most on 754 but some on 939) forced(or would not run right) the ram to 333 when running 3 sticks. Did you get 400 out of all 3 sticks @ stock? CPU-z will tell you this too :)

In some cases you can loosen the timing's lets sat from 2-x-x-x to 2.5-x-x-x. or increase the voltage alittle

Charnondall

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Ok got cpuz and got my stats from it, take a look guys and tell me what u think. Also yeah i did manage to get 400 out of all 3 at stock untill i started overclocking past 233x12 then i wouldnt get further than the checking for ide drives screen etc. screen.

cpustats.JPG

Charnondall

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
did as u suggested also i tried removing my kingston 1gb and putting the other 2 strips in dual channel mode since they were the same make and here are the results:

cpustats2.JPG

I ran 3dmark06 also and my score went up from 6600 to 6800 which is not half bad.

In regards to the memory ive ordered another piece of the kingston stuff i had already so i can have 2gb in dual channel but it will take a while to come.

Im curious however to what effect only having 1gb of ram has on gaming if any since its mainly a agming computer. Also by trying to push the timings further will that improve my gaming performance also?

Thanks guys :D

ddr 500 impressive :) You should run memtest86 over night just to be sure its all stable.

The effect of less ram will depend on your games. you can just play for a while and use the task manager to see how much ram a given game uses.

Charnondall

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Meh turns out it wasnt stable, after 1 min of prime RAM intensive memory testing it failed and i had to drop it back down to 333. Will try again when the other slip of kingston comes in but untill then ill have to leave my overclocking conquest as it is heh.