AMD 64 & INTEL P4

CouNciL_ViPeR

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
im building a new computer for gaming i was going to get a amd fx but they cost to much right now ..im a amd fan .. but which one is better for gaming .... Athlon 64 3200 or Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800

scottkli

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
Why are people choosing now to upgrade? You have newer stuff coming out in a few months-
hardware: CPU's, Memory, Video Cards, Motherboards
software: Win64, Linux64

Unless you really have a reason to upgrade, why not wait until these new items come out and prices fall on the rest.
Yea Intel dropped its prices, but thats so you'll buy stuff now so they can make their money before the next release. Everything available now will be the last of its kind for this era. AGP is switching to PCI-X. So the AGP cards will be phased out, not right away, but how many people you know still running PCI cards? DDR-II will replace DDR but I'm not sure how good that will be. You'll have a new 64bit processor from AMD and Intel being released. You'll see new motherboards fitted with PCI-X, DDR-II DIMM's and sockets for the new processors. New OS's will be released around the same time for 64bit systems. HL2 and Doom3 come out around this time also. What other games right now take that much power to run. I still use a 32mb Ati with a 800mhz PIII and play most of the games that are out right now.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Oh man, what a crazy response. You have two choices... you pick a third one. My guess is that the guy doesn't know to much about computers and overclocking will probably be new to him. Though i agree with what you say out of the two choices it is a hard one to pick. If your doing any video editing or anything that is optimized for SSE2 then the P4 is the way to go. Actually now that I think about it the P4 is the better choice, a little bit cheaper and just as fast in games as the A64. The FX 51 on the other hand....

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

CouNciL_ViPeR

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
im new to over clocking but not to computers i been in them for 8 years now and probably built atleast 100 systems for me and other people i just wanted to know because i know nothing much about the new amd 64 i know the fx is better but its way to high for me right now .. and for the other dude .. yea i could wait .. but i need a new computer by dec so i cant wait long i have some people moving in with me and i need more computers in my house because i cant stand people using mine lol so im going to give them this pos amd 2600 xp 512 mbs ddr and a gay geforce ti 4600 card here and build me a new one for gaming

G

why ask ? there are hundreds of reviews out there that give you so much more info than what anyone could sum up here. Make up your own mind, and make an informed purchase decission. Here is a good review with tons of game benches:<A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000262" target="_new">http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000262</A>

If you want my 1 line interpretation, I'd say the A64 and P4C are really neck and neck at least running 32 bit games ;)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
You mustve missed the A64 reviews because it also features SSE2.

As far as price differences, the 3.2C is $10 cheaper on pricewatch than the A64 3200.
The A64 easily bests any of the P4s besides the EE which is a $1000 processor and the A64 is on par with that one.

Unless hes only doing multimedia work I couldnt suggest a P4. It'd be a mistake at this point.

As far as the 2.6.. thats a nice budget to midrange setup but not going to compare to the A64 and frankly a waste of money.

Checkout for <A HREF="http://anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1884&p=1" target="_new">yourselves</A> on the A64.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
You also have to remember that the life line of the P4's is looking like it is almost up. You probly wont get much more upgrading out of the P4's. The AMD 64 though is newer and will allow for probly more upgrade. I'm not 100% sure about that though because of all the new things that are suppost to come out in the next year like DDR2 and the new vid cards.

-------------------------------------------------
Remember what your fighting for, Remember why you even started fighting, and Remember who you are

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I wouldn't decide based on which one is better, since their difference in performance is marginal. What I would consider is the fact that a Socket 754 mobo (Athlon 64) will last much longer than a Socket 478 mobo (Pentium 4). It is still not sure whether current S478 motherboards will accept Prescott processors, but even if they do the max frequency S478 Prescotts will have is around 3.6GHz. On the other hand AMD has cleary stated that S754 (and of course faster Athlon 64s) will be around for quite a while. So if you care about the upgradability of your system, I believe go with A64.

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
At least for now, current Athlon 64s don't seem like great overclocking chips. I think the max a 2GHz A64 can reach is 2.2GHz. Of course, you must also realise that 200MHz increase in clock speed for the Athlon 64 is quite significant, and could even offer you as much as 10% increase in your system's performance.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the best idea is wait untel after the Holidays. Prices will drop on intel and Amd with companys trying to sell computers they still have. And want to get the newer stuff.

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Actually I don't think there are any major price cuts around the corner by neither Intel or AMD. Intel has just cut the prices on its Pentium 4 chips significantly, making room for the top-of-the-line Prescott CPU when it finally appears (at the $600 range). Also AMD's Athlon 64 IS the newer stuff. Maybe we will see the A64 3200+ drop if a 3400+ is introduced around Christmas but that's always the case when new products appear on the market. Other than that, I don't think current prices of CPUs will change a lot in the coming few months.

The only reason I see in waiting is what some other guy mentioned before. In 2004, many new techonologies will be introduced such as PCI Express, DDR-II, SATA II, maybe BTX .. so newer motherboard with newer chipsets will appear on the market. Of course not everyone can be that patient.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
whats sataII gonna help, seeing as hard drives strugle to transfer 66mb/s . Also dont expect amd to quickly adopt ddr II i am sure it will take quite a bit of time after ddrII goes main stream for amd to adopt it.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I totally agree with you there. The only one that really matters for me is PCI Express, since if I am not mistaken both nVidia and ATI have announced that their next generation graphics cards will be using this new interface. Of course the introduction SATA II is not a reason for someone to postpone his upgrade, I just mentioned it because it will appear the same time as all other new technologies, which is sometime in Q2 2004 probably, along with the new CPUs from both Intel and AMD.

Personally though, even if I had the money and was in need for upgrading, I would still wait a few more months.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
true pci express is something to wait for...i just hope it is implemented soon because i dont wana wait too long!

110% BX fanboy

infiltrator

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
PCI Xpress is the new PCI format thats set to take over the PCI Bus. The new video cards are going to com out running on PCI Express. Speeds are much higher. ATI and nVidia both have cards running on these buses apparently - but they not out yet - just test samples.

I would go AMD too - apparently people running the beta of XP for AMD-64 are reporting serious performace inreases to the 32 bit version (and the 32 bit is just marginally > than P4EE. P4 is almost End of Life and Athlon 64 is just starting.

Good Luck ;) Let us know what you go for.

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
A P4 2.6C at $175 will do everything a A64 will do. The A64 is a waste of money, get yourself a nice video card instead.

<b>P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF * Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 * Corsair XMS 2x256MB PC3200 2-3-3-6 * GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB * SB Audigy 2 ZS * Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 * Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA</b>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
shut up, thats the 3rd fanboy post of yours i have read today!

If you look at the benchies the a64 is a very fast chip and the 3200+ is equivilent in performance to the 3.2c while the fx-51 is as good as or better than the $1000 p4 ee so i would bite your tongue.

110% BX fanboy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piii_Man on 11/03/03 05:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
You have to ask yourself though, dood, is the FX 'leet? --->NO!
The P4, on the other hand, is Exxxtremly E1337!

AMD sucks my leet haxxor ba11s.

<font color=blue>
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not " <b>--</b> <i><font color=red> George Bernard Shaw</i></font color=red></font color=blue>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
good point (i hope that is sarcasm :eek: )

A P4 2.6C at $175 will do everything a A64 will do. The A64 is a waste of money, get yourself a nice video card instead.
What about 64 bit? You have to relise that a 386 could do everything that you can do on your p4 just really [-peep-] slow!

110% BX fanboy