AMD 65 nm CPU Paper Launch?

dvmoo7

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
"Samples of the new 65 nm processors, which AMD says are available in volume today, apparently have not been sent out to the media yet."

hummmmm..... :)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
"Samples of the new 65 nm processors, which AMD says are available in volume today, apparently have not been sent out to the media yet."

We've got to get used to this; it was the same for C2D. Maybe they call 'launch date' the day on which te first CPUs get out of their fabs, not the day they hit stores :D

dvmoo7

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006

We've got to get used to this; it was the same for C2D. Maybe they call 'launch date' the day on which te first CPUs get out of their fabs, not the day they hit stores :D

Yet, but i would expect an ES with some benchies at the very least. I think with C2D we at least had that. According to TH, they are available in volume today....

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Um, I guess. Announced availibility for mass market is Q107 with OEM's getting production now from what I saw. Not surprising, nor is the lack of es's IMO, not going to be much different form the 90nm CPU's.... 1/2 the cache and a shrink wooptie doo.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
MrsBytch, learning to read will get you far in life.

We're talking about AMD's 65nm launch, not AM2 launch. :roll:

How about this: if I can't get a 65nm AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ in the next three weeks, you will buy me one when it IS available. A hint for you: once you lose the bet, you'll want to look to the e-tailers that sell OEM tray processors.

The video card industry has us all pampered. Just look at the last few nVidia launches to see what I mean, you could buy them the day of launch.

mpjesse

Splendid
I concur. I cannot find it for sale anywhere.

The article said it was available by volume, meaning oem tray, not at e-tailers. Learning to read will get you far in life.

Lets not confuse this with C2D launch in which there were a couple available and the rest had to wait weeks. Secondly there were no Nvidia chipsets available at C2D launch, no SLI chipsets and no mobos under $250. That quite far from AM2 which is established and had all this available on the first day of its launch including mobos under $80 on launch with nvidia chipsets and SLI.

LOL, "available in volume" doesn't just mean OEM tray. If that were true, then the 8800 GTX was only available to OEM's on the day of its launch.

But I do agree, this is very different from C2D, which DID have some available @ etailers. These new 65nm Athon's aren't available anywhere yet. So it's a paper launch IMO.

mpjesse

Splendid
Here's a nother interesting one ----

TechReport has issued an Amber Alert for QFX boards and CPU...

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/11378

I think this is a little unfair myself.... but they have a point, AMD's response is interesting to say the least.

Nevertheless, if one cannot buy the QFX parts of the shelf or find a 65 nm CPU/system in the next 3-4 weeks then we can call it a paper launch.... for now it is fair to simply wait a week or two as it takes a little while for new products to propogate.

What I don't get is how ATI and nVidia are able to make new boards available from day 1. I mean, aren't their capacities smaller? And it seems like putting a GPU on a video board is just as (if not more) complicated as releasing a new chipset and CPU.

Both companies, AMD and Intel, are fcuking guilty of paper launches.

If I'm missing something here, someone point it out. The only thing I can think of is demand. (CPU demand being higher than GPU)

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I think it is a combo of a lot of things, but demand is probably the largest factor. Dell, HP.... etc buy up a huge majority of the CPU's when they are released. A lot more people will want to configure a new computer with the new CPU's, whereas the majority of people can't swallow the $400-$600 upgrade price attached to the new GPU's when they are released. Which, (in my mind) would make it easier to find the GPU's at places like Newegg and whatnot. The people who would typically buy a brand new GPU are not the same people that will go and build a system on Dell (usually).

I don't think that you should consider C2D a paper launch. People actually got to see them in action (benchmarks) before they were released and it was not TOO long afterwards until people were able to pick them up online.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
The cpu demand would be higher of course. Every computer has to have one. Your average Joe will be happy with his onboard gpu though.

AMD IMO is alot more guilty of paper launches than Intel (especially this year).

mpjesse

Splendid
yeah... it only took AMD 2 months to get those 5200+'s in the market. AMD is guilty as charged on that one.

ok... my ambien is hitting me hard now. i think i should go pass out now.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
yeah... it only took AMD 2 months to get those 5200+'s in the market. AMD is guilty as charged on that one.

ok... my ambien is hitting me hard now. i think i should go pass out now.

Cmon now Jesse. AMD was not guitly, we know, courtesy of BaronMartirx, that they were being "horded" by AMD for Dells school systems sales :lol:

It had nothing to do with production capacity, QC and binning. Nothing what-so-ever. Just keep telling yourself that, like Baron Matrix, and maybe it 30 or 40 years you can beleive too!! :p

mpjesse

Splendid
I KNOW EVERYTHING

i am omnipotent!!!!!!!!!!!

i hored all things. i am the one keeping the 5200 chips. all of them. they're purple in case you didn't know. purple like a chinese whore's dress. purple like these damn exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm so high. someone play a joke on me

mpjesse

Splendid
i am going to refraing from reading or replying to your most lengthy post until tomorrow. if I read this I'll saying something incoherent and stupid. my apologies in advance my good friend.

now, come have a cigar with me on the balcony. i've got a bottle of new scotch... sixty years old.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Some quality $h!t you got there!!! Want to share?
I used to get extremely high when i first started taking my sleeping pills(3 years ago). My wife would have to walk me to bed, as i bounced off the walls.....it was a blast. One night(day actually...after midnight shift) i fell asleep at the computer, and face first in a bowl of ice-cream....got it all in my beard. :eek: Now, i'm used to them...

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I want to make a point that it was fair to give Intel a week or two to get supply up for C2D after launch, AMD needs to get the same fair shake.
OK Jack,
C2D was reviewed(benchmarked, overclocked, measured, whatever) by many reputable sites before it was released. Where are the official reviews of Brisbane?
WTF?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
They should have taken a picture. Can you say it with me: Sticky!!!
Yeah...The down side, was total memory loss. We'd go to bed(even only 15 minutes after taking the pill)... and start foolin' around....then BLANK!!!!! My wife would be p!ssed that i didn't remember...when i woke up. :wink: I was too. :x

4745454b

Titan
65 nm, definitely not a paper launch at this point--AMD either stated or it was rumored that limited 65 nm product in Dec with a full volume dump in Q1 2007 this is simply along those lines.... though, it is really disappointing they aren't letting anyone but the OEMs see the CPUs on the launch day.

Maybe its just because I'm an AMD fan, but I believe I know the answer to this question. The chips weren't released not because they don't exist but because they aren't really any faster. This is just a die shrink. For some reason AMD decided to change the frequencies to odd numbers, and up the model numbers. There isn't really anything drasically different with these CPUs, so there isn't a good reason to release them to get reviewed. (they'd only get killed by the C2D.) What I'm more interested in seeing are reviews on the new "star core" CPUs. How much ground will AMD recover with these?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
65 nm, definitely not a paper launch at this point--AMD either stated or it was rumored that limited 65 nm product in Dec with a full volume dump in Q1 2007 this is simply along those lines.... though, it is really disappointing they aren't letting anyone but the OEMs see the CPUs on the launch day.

Maybe its just because I'm an AMD fan, but I believe I know the answer to this question. The chips weren't released not because they don't exist but because they aren't really any faster. This is just a die shrink. For some reason AMD decided to change the frequencies to odd numbers, and up the model numbers. There isn't really anything drasically different with these CPUs, so there isn't a good reason to release them to get reviewed. (they'd only get killed by the C2D.) What I'm more interested in seeing are reviews on the new "star core" CPUs. How much ground will AMD recover with these?Well, they should have at least some redeeming quality, that would make someone want to buy one....and by not letting reviewers test to find that quality(be it low power/good OC), AMD isn't really showing much confidence, and/or giving a reason to buy them. :?