News AMD 6nm Ryzen 6000 'Rembrandt' SoC Deep Dive: Gunning For Alder Lake

I hope AMD enjoyed their little moment in the sun. It's quickly coming to an end.
What are you talking about? Intel may have a performance advantage at the ultra high end of laptops but in the high to mid market segment they will rule with performance per watt and entry level gaming without discrete graphics thus saving cost. AMD is going to continue to gain market share in the mobile sector.

Reactions: artk2219
RDNA 2 should make these chips solid 1080p medium/high performers. With graphics cards prices still high, and not being able to mine on integrated graphics, then these might be the best option for system builders that can't buy a graphics card right now.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
What are you talking about? Intel may have a performance advantage at the ultra high end of laptops but in the high to mid market segment they will rule with performance per watt and entry level gaming without discrete graphics thus saving cost. AMD is going to continue to gain market share in the mobile sector.
"AMD is going to continue to gain market share in the mobile sector"

yeah... no TMSC fabs are limited & AMD volume is crap because of that vs Intel

why you have so much Intel on OEM / Laptops... ? Volume
OEM & Laptop manufactures don't really care about AMD since they know their business won't go anywhere waiting for AMD inventory

Also waiting 1.5years+ for cpu desktop generation is one garbage strategy for a tech compnay that try to boost their data centre, oem & mobile market share and ingore desktop users that got them here since Zen started !

"AMD is going to continue to gain market share in the mobile sector"

yeah... no TMSC fabs are limited & AMD volume is crap because of that vs Intel

why you have so much Intel on OEM / Laptops... ? Volume
OEM & Laptop manufactures don't really care about AMD since they know their business won't go anywhere waiting for AMD inventory

Also waiting 1.5years+ for cpu desktop generation is one garbage strategy for a tech compnay that try to boost their data centre, oem & mobile market share and ingore desktop users that got them here since Zen started !
Well we shall see what happens in the future, not to say that I am correct. Best regards.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD is going to continue to gain market share in the mobile sector.
I wouldn't bet money on that. AMD oddly lost market share in the mobile sector last quarter and Intel's mobile Alder Lake didn't hit the market until this quarter. I would expect Intel to see a significant boost in mobile sales with Alder Lake and their production capacity dwarfs what AMD is likely to request from TSMC for Rembrandt.

I wouldn't bet money on that. AMD oddly lost market share in the mobile sector last quarter and Intel's mobile Alder Lake didn't hit the market until this quarter. I would expect Intel to see a significant boost in mobile sales with Alder Lake and their production capacity dwarfs what AMD is likely to request from TSMC for Rembrandt.
I expect them to continue gaining market share though they did lose some for reasons I cannot explain last quarter. This new generation seems like a big push by AMD for gaining market share, but like I said I could be wrong. The trend has definitely been AMD eating into Intel mobile market share over the last 2 years or so.

Last edited:
RDNA 2 should make these chips solid 1080p medium/high performers. With graphics cards prices still high, and not being able to mine on integrated graphics, then these might be the best option for system builders that can't buy a graphics card right now.
First of all that would be a pretty bad strategy for AMD selling RDNA cores for cheap on mobile instead of getting more from them by selling them on GPUs, unless the mobile cores are lower quality to begin with.
But also secondly, we will have to see how Xe works out for intel as igpus, but also if they will offer discreet mobile Xe to OEMs for free or very low cost with the sale of each CPU just to get a big user base.

InvalidError

Titan
I expect them to continue gaining market share though they did lose some for reasons I cannot explain last quarter.
I can think of one really simple and probable reason: supply constraints. Can't grow market share when you run out of parts to sell or other parts of the supply chain is bottlenecked by components such as VRM chips.

First of all that would be a pretty bad strategy for AMD selling RDNA cores for cheap on mobile instead of getting more from them by selling them on GPUs, unless the mobile cores are lower quality to begin with.
The 680M IGP has only 12 SM cores sharing system memory bandwidth while the RX6500 has 16 cores with dedicated memory bandwidth. People who want performance consistently better than a GTX1050Ti will still need discrete graphics. Doesn't make much sense to pair the lowest-end discrete graphics with the highest-end IGP though, so the RX6500 would make more sense when paired with APUs that have the 660M IGP.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016

"RDNA 2 should make these chips solid 1080p medium/high performers"

lol, you mean like that 6500xt ?

can't wait to buy a new laptop to get 10year old console graphics:rolleyes:

artk2219

Distinguished
"RDNA 2 should make these chips solid 1080p medium/high performers"

lol, you mean like that 6500xt ?

can't wait to buy a new laptop to get 10year old console graphics:rolleyes:

Come one now, its XBOX One X class graphics, so a little over 4 year old console graphics :LOL:, honestly the One X GPU performance was a big step up from the original XBOX One. I understand the hate the RX 6500 XT gets, but it has its place, it was really meant for use in laptops and as the replacement for the RX 560, but it was thrown into a higher tier in a crazy market because they figured they could, a bit of a greedy move sure but thats par for the course right now unfortunately 😕. When the pricing finally works itself back to around $100 it'll be a decent little entry level card on new builds or for people looking to upgrade from the IGPU in Ryzen 4000 and 5000 series APU's. Still needs more VRAM though, it wouldnt surprise me if we see at least one more revision of this card.

But also secondly, we will have to see how Xe works out for intel as igpus, but also if they will offer discreet mobile Xe to OEMs for free or very low cost with the sale of each CPU just to get a big user base.

I do agree on your second point about Intel Xe, I hope it does work out well. I enjoy competition in the marketplace because consumers always win when there's a war between Intel and AMD. Also, you get quicker and faster innovation in the process as they compete to outdo each other. Remember how long Intel was on 4 core and 8 threads because AMD couldn't compete?

First point, I think we'll have to wait and see. Sure, you always want larger margins, and to sell a GPU as a package, but sometimes you just need to make a sale. In the $400-$600 range, a solid 1080p performer is needed and if you can entice laptop makers to sell laptops without a GPU to increase their margins, then you get instant sales.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
From a performance standpoint, I don't believe Ryzen 6000 series APUs will be a match for Alder Lake. And AMD is clearly aware to not try to head on with Intel from a performance standpoint. Instead they went the other way to try and tackle Intel's major weakness, and that is the power requirement of Alder Lake in order for it to reach its full potential. And from the review of the new G14, it seems to have paid off well.

Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: AMD Ryzen 6900HS and Radeon RX 6800S Together | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
From a performance standpoint, I don't believe Ryzen 6000 series APUs will be a match for Alder Lake. And AMD is clearly aware to not try to head on with Intel from a performance standpoint. Instead they went the other way to try and tackle Intel's major weakness, and that is the power requirement of Alder Lake in order for it to reach its full potential. And from the review of the new G14, it seems to have paid off well.

Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: AMD Ryzen 6900HS and Radeon RX 6800S Together | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)
Battery life and performance can vary very widely between laptop models/brands even using the same components. You really need to compare laptops from the same brand with as similar components as possible to try and get any real component comparisons. It's also pretty odd that every review site received the same Asus ROG G14 test system. Almost like that particular unit was cherry picked by AMD for some reason.

Yes, because AMD had a better product and was starting from practically zero market share. Neither of those is the case any more and AMD's focus on the enterprise over all else will mean they probably won't produce as many as the market will demand.
From 0 or not a trend eating into market share is still a tread. I stand by my initial statement, AMD is going to continue to gain market share in the mobile sector.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Battery life and performance can vary very widely between laptop models/brands even using the same components. You really need to compare laptops from the same brand with as similar components as possible to try and get any real component comparisons. It's also pretty odd that every review site received the same Asus ROG G14 test system. Almost like that particular unit was cherry picked by AMD for some reason.
This has been the trend ever since AMD released Renoir. They’ve been partnering with Asus to release early laptops (specifically 14 inch model) running their H class APUs. I believe the idea is to show that the APU works great in slim and small laptops, knowing that this is the Achilles heel for Intel mobile processors due to higher peak power draw, especially when they were stuck with 14nm.

Also the selection of specific laptop for review is also evident with Intel. You don’t have to look far because Intel provided all the reviewers with the same MSI laptop to showcase its performance for their Alder Lake H processors.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
You don’t have to look far because Intel provided all the reviewers with the same MSI laptop to showcase its performance for their Alder Lake H processors.
No idea know who sourced what, but there was definitely more than one model tested on launch day for Alder Lake H. Most were MSI, but there was an Alienware, two different Razer models all with a 3080Ti like the MSI and an Asus model with a 3070ti, so you still have the opportunity to see how much variance there was between different manufacturers.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Yes, because AMD had a better product and was starting from practically zero market share. Neither of those is the case any more and AMD's focus on the enterprise over all else will mean they probably won't produce as many as the market will demand.
AMD started with almost 0 market share in the laptop space. Most if not all their previous mobile processor were lacking in performance and runs very hot, as compared to what Intel offered back then. But since Intel dropped the ball, AMD did not waste the opportunity to show that they are viable and more budget friendly solution. Performance may not be as good, but they may still be an alternative. So Intel’s monopoly of laptop is weakened, which means people may now consider an AMD based device, and not an Intel only decision.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD started with almost 0 market share in the laptop space. Most if not all their previous mobile processor were lacking in performance and runs very hot, as compared to what Intel offered back then. But since Intel dropped the ball, AMD did not waste the opportunity to show that they are viable and more budget friendly solution. Performance may not be as good, but they may still be an alternative. So Intel’s monopoly of laptop is weakened, which means people may now consider an AMD based device, and not an Intel only decision.
I would agree with all of that, but it doesn't mean squat when predicting where market share is heading forward. It doesn't matter how good AMD's product is right now, because they aren't going to produce it in high enough volume to gain more market share against Intel's mobile Alder Lake onslaught of options.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
No idea know who sourced what, but there was definitely more than one model tested on launch day for Alder Lake H. Most were MSI, but there was an Alienware, two different Razer models all with a 3080Ti like the MSI and an Asus model with a 3070ti, so you still have the opportunity to see how much variance there was between different manufacturers.
Out of 3 or 4 sites I visited, all are showcasing the MSI laptop. I did see Razer and Alienware, but these only appeared subsequently. In any case, actual product will show how they perform. All these early review units are generally hand picked to show the best case scenario. And considering that these early review units are extremely costly, it makes sense for them to be high end build.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I would agree with all of that, but it doesn't mean squat when predicting where market share is heading forward. It doesn't matter how good AMD's product is right now, because they aren't going to produce it in high enough volume to gain more market share against Intel's mobile Alder Lake onslaught of options.
I don’t disagree that AMD won’t be able to produce enough chips to satisfy all demands. But I feel market share is not a good way to measure if the company is doing well. With ever increasing hardware prices, it is possible to maintain market share but still making more profits. Currently, AMD is already doing well even with the same supply limitation. But unlike Intel that can flood the market, AMD have to actively manage the fab allocation to prioritise for high margin products.