AMD 7850 fans stopped working

igetaroundd

Reputable
May 8, 2014
Hi, I booted up my old PC earlier but I realized neither of the fans were spinning. The GPU itself is detected, I checked in catalyst control center and it was there, I tried putting the fan speed to 100% but I couldn't hear anything. In catalyst control center, the IDLE temp is about 34 degrees Celsius. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I think I know what might be wrong...I was trying to get rid of dust on the graphics card fans using a can of compressed air but it wasn't working very well, sometimes when you use it, liquid comes out instead of air and then freezes instantly. I'm pretty sure this happened to me and might have froze the motor or something:ouch:

Solution
You won't freeze the motor. Compresed air can liquid evaporates almost instantly.

34c is very low. It may be the fan's turn off when temp is low enough.

Run your most basic 3D game for just a few seconds without doing anything and see if the fans kick on as the card warms up. This should happen within just a few seconds of full screen 3D appearing.

Do not run the game for more than 10-15 seconds though because if your fans are really broken it will get hot fast. That's not a good thing.
You won't freeze the motor. Compresed air can liquid evaporates almost instantly.

34c is very low. It may be the fan's turn off when temp is low enough.

Run your most basic 3D game for just a few seconds without doing anything and see if the fans kick on as the card warms up. This should happen within just a few seconds of full screen 3D appearing.

Do not run the game for more than 10-15 seconds though because if your fans are really broken it will get hot fast. That's not a good thing.

Solution

igetaroundd

Reputable
May 8, 2014
I ran a basic game and the temps went up to about 50 degrees, fans still didn't start to spin. Idling at 25 degrees with no fans right now. I've had a physical look at the fan connector and that seems to be in properly, tried to remove it and insert it back in if that would help but I couldn't even remove it :s