Question AMD 7900XTX vs 7950XTX

Antonn

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
Should I be patient and wait for 7950XTX to come out or buy 7900XTX now? What's 7900XTX worth now is actually my $ limit, but I could wait and see if 7950XTX will be in the same prize zone or buy 7900XTX cheaper. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I need a card for the next 6-7 years. My priorities are: 1) content creating (Vegas, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.); 2) Extreme multitasking on 5 monitors bc of work; 3) Gaming at 2K, 4) gaming at 4K in the future. Thanks for your input

It's hard to comment on the performance of the not yet released AMD flagship GPU, the 7950XTX, because we don't know the final specs yet, but the card will obviously be faster than the 7900XTX, but not a very HUGE margin though.

So it would be better you grab the 7900XTX instead, since there is also no ETA on 7950XTX model as well. But surely, this card will sip more power, come with slightly higher boost clocks, more SPs, faster memory if AMD sees it as an option.

You can wait but there is no concrete release date info on the 7950XTX.

Rumours have been flying around about the possibility of an RX 7950 XTX being in the works since an AMD ROCm 5.6 pull request was spotted, but nothing has been announced or confirmed regarding a potential release date for a potential RX 7950 XTX model.

Reactions: Antonn
D

Deleted member 2838871

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I need a card for the next 6-7 years. My priorities are: 1) content creating (Vegas, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.); 2) Extreme multitasking on 5 monitors bc of work; 3) Gaming at 2K, 4) gaming at 4K in the future. Thanks for your input

I'd spend a few more dollars and just get a 4090. You'll be good to go for the next 6-7 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
7950 xt? We don't have benchmarks so not much to add to the conversation. I don't buying a 7900 xtx will hold up for 6-7 years at the rate technology moves. It would be like having a 1080ti today. Your pretty much reduced to 1080p ultra after being able to use that card to game at 4k. These ultra high end card are just bad values. I wouldnt buy anything past rtx 4070 or 6950 xt. Those cards should hold up very well and not cost 1000 or more.

D

Deleted member 2838871

A few HUNDRED more dollars. And good for the next 2-3 years. FIFY

OP said he wasn't a hardcore gamer... so 6-7 years is easily doable for his use case and if you do the math over 6-7 years a few hundred dollars is chump change. As for 2-3 years I'd argue the 4090 will be good beyond that. It destroys everything now... 4K Ultra settings with RT.

I got 4 1/2 years out of the 1080 Ti... you'll never convince me the 4090 will only be good for 2-3 years. In my testing the only thing that has even caused the card to break a sweat was the CP 2077 RT Overdrive mode which is nothing more than a testing gimmick and the UE5 engine demos...

... every current AAA release I currently have (Hogwarts, Last of Us, CP 2077, Forza 5, Elden Ring, Street Fighter 6, RE4, RDR2, Diablo 4) all cap 60 fps in 4K Ultra with the 4090 laughing at me saying "Is that all you got?"

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

PS.

Corrected my original post... that was "I'd SPEND a few more dollars."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

IDProG

Distinguished
I'd spend a few more dollars and just get a 4090. You'll be good to go for the next 6-7 years.
I'm pretty sure "at least $600" is not "a few more dollars".

Should I be patient and wait for 7950XTX to come out or buy 7900XTX now? What's 7900XTX worth now is actually my $ limit, but I could wait and see if 7950XTX will be in the same prize zone or buy 7900XTX cheaper. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I need a card for the next 6-7 years. My priorities are: 1) content creating (Vegas, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.); 2) Extreme multitasking on 5 monitors bc of work; 3) Gaming at 2K, 4) gaming at 4K in the future. Thanks for your input
If 7950 XTX ever comes out, it will most likely be an RDNA 3 refresh, what the 7900 XTX should've been. My speculation is the 7950 XT and XTX will be 10% faster than their 7900 counterparts.

My speculation is
The 7950 XTX will cost $1000,
The 7900 XTX will go down to $900,
The 7950 XT will cost $800,
The 7900 XT will cost $720,

Reactions: Antonn

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
I would completely advise against AMD for extreme multi-monitor multitasking for long years.

Known Issues​

• High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
These have never been fixed since release.

Also for professional work + personal computer, there is nothing except Nvidia no matter the price.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I'm pretty sure "at least $600" is not "a few more dollars".

Doesn't matter... point remains the same. Dude wants 6-7 years out of the card... which he will get with the 4090 being a "not a hardcore gamer."

6 years and $600 is $100 a year which as I said is chump change.

So many people are like you... not thinking long term. I DO think long term.

If you can't afford to drop $600 more dollars for a beast of a card that destroys anything in its path today AND will set you up for quite a few years down the road my advice is save your money... but no... you'll get a 4070 and then be complaining a year from now about you don't have enough VRAM... just like all the 8GB card users are doing right now.

Long term baby. Long term. If you are gonna spend $1000 on the AMD card... might as well go the whole way with the 4090. That's what I would do in his shoes.

I would completely advise against AMD for extreme multi-monitor multitasking for long years.

Known Issues​

• High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

Also for professional work + personal computer, there is nothing except Nvidia no matter the price.
I have had both for a long time and those issues are inconsequential. Professional work is vague. Adobe? Solid works? Maya?

IDProG

Distinguished

Known Issues​

The fix is going to be with the RDNA 3 refresh, if it ever comes out. Some AMD contacts have leaked that yes, the current RDNA 3 is flawed. They weren't expecting the 7900 XT and XTX to be underperforming like that. They actually expected the 7900 XTX to just slightly loses to the 4090 (so basically around 10% stronger than it currently is).

They tried to fix the software, but they found out that the fault was architectural, not software-based. So, they were planning to release an architectural revision of RDNA 3 called the RDNA 3 refresh.

From what I understand, the RX 7950 XTX will be a wattage-monster and that not only means huge power consumption but also insane amounts of waste heat. It will also be more expensive (although I have no idea by how much).

If I were you, I would just get the RX 7900 XTX and be done with it. The card has 24GB of VRAM and if you're just a casual gamer, it'll probably be viable for about 8 years.

Last edited: