AMD 7970 or GTX 670?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jonathan Wong

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Right now im set on the AMD 7970 3gb Vapor-x edition from sapphire because im a huge AMD fanboy. However, I read that the GTX 670 has a 4gb version which is only a bit more expensive, is it worth it or should i stick with the 7970?

Im building a new rig and the current planned specs are:
i5-3570k
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
8gb or 16gb Corsair Vengeance
etc

Money is an issue but im worried more about the performance as im probably not going to have the money or chance to upgrade in atleast 2-3 years.

I will mostly game on my machine as well as some video editing since i took a media related course for university.

Jonathan Wong

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

Obviously im trying to find the best looking monitor for me. However, is there a huge difference between 60hz and 120hz if im used to using a 60hz (never used a 120hz monitor before), or should i try a IPS monitor with 60hz and enjoy the colors? So hard deciding stuff when ur gona be stuck with it for 2-3 years

Jonathan Wong

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

well yea, ive been using this monitor for quite a while already. Ill go research a bit and ill be back with some models. thanks all for helping

This. :p

It's just like playing on a 120Hz screen, and going back to find that 60Hz feels incredibly laggy. After a day of getting used to an IPS panel, TN panels look washed out and dull. (Which is why I'm eagerly saving up for when someone makes a 120Hz OLED panel.)

Is that even possible on an OLED screen? I'm not very familiar with OLED tech.

I've seen OLED displays before, they are really something.

It hasn't been developed yet, but technologically, yes, it should be easily possible. Part of why OLED is being pushed so hard in development is because it'll be so superior for 3d than anything that's come before.

And yes, they're freaking amazing. The first time I saw one, it literally took my breath away - it was one of the films of firework displays... so pretty.

Jonathan Wong

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Ive never really liked dual cards, seeing that many people have had problems with temperature n stuff. So if i will ever upgrade my graphics card, it will always be a better single card.

and DarkSable, oh my god dem OLED screens are pretty. Tho they are pretty as hell, the refresh rate is horrible for gaming (i think, never seen a OLED monitor go higher than 60hz)

Standard OLED screens have bad refresh rate, sure...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED

Jonathan Wong

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

oops, dunno where i got that from. but wouldnt a 24 inch monitor cost a crap ton then?