AMD 8350 vs Current Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

livevil

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hi currently with my setup I have a i7 950 oc @ 4.2 and was wondering if the FX 8350 would be better. But I am also wondering were this is an older socket if I waited for haswell I would have to upgrade my mobo also which as a university student would hurt the pocket. Would it be better now if I sold my mobo and i7 to my friend and got an Asus formula V and FX 8350 would this be better for the future since the steamroller CPU will run on AM3+ and I could just upgrade then again but for much cheaper then Intel I would say.
Also I will be running sli gtx 670's in this setup if that makes any difference.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Actually your overclocked i7 is quite a lot faster than the FX 8350 at stock clocks and probably a bit faster than an OC'd FX 8350.
Your current CPU will have no problem with dual Titats, let alone dual GTX 670's.
And PCI-E 3 makes absolutely no difference compared to PCI-E 2. The difference is less than 1% so the AMD platform will NOT cripple you.

There is a difference. When GPUs in the future will be released, they will have a higher memory bandwidth and PCI-E 2.0 is already crippling some of the AMD GPUs by a little as you just mentioned. Only by a percent or two, but that number will increase, as the bandwidth of the GPU increases.

So I will definitly say it's a cripple.

Like when the Nvidia 700 series or AMD 8000 series, we'll surely see an increase of performance loss when using PCI-E 2.0 compared to 3.0. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.