AMD 965 build, bios load up

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hey guys, just built a new system, upon BIOS loading up, it flases "No harddisk detected"

I am still able to go into BIOS and I looked and my RAM DDR3 was recognized and so was my Phenom II x4 965.

I also saw the SATA I and SATA II ports were taken on my motherboard, which is what my Harddrive (500 gb western digital) and my optical drive are connected too.

What could this be, please help

Solution
The "No harddisk detected" message probably is due to the IDE controller on the board still being enabled with no IDE devices plugged in. If you don't have any IDE devices installed you can disable the controller in the BIOS to get rid of the message.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Double check to make sure your HDDs are getting power and the data SATA II cable is connected, in fact disconnect and reconnect.

Check in the CMOS and BIOS again. If it's still not showing the hard drives, power down and change the SATA ports on your motherboard.

Bout all I can suggest

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Does it matter what SATA the Harddrive or optical are connected to on the motherboard? Should the Harddrive always be connected to SATA 1 or does it not matter?

As I said, the BIOS in the options menu, has both my harddrive and optical drive listed in the SATA 1,2,3 listings. It even has the manufacturer name and so on.

I researched some posts. Someone said to disable Marvell? And that bios defaults to IDE?

Is this true? Any help greatly appreciated.

* Also, I don't have any operating system installed yet, I just saw this error message ( No harddisk detected) after the system POSTED and got nervous. I am going to try to install a OS any minute now.

Thank you for all your help, I greatly appreciate it.

banthracis

Distinguished
OEM hard drives are not recognized until formatted. Boot to optical and format HD through windows setup.

Edit: That was bad wording. OEM hard drives are not formatted when shipped. Therefor they are not recognized as a HD but will show up in the BIOS. You either format them on another PC, or simply boot using windows setup disk and it will give you the chance to format.

Incidentally, about half of the idiots on neweggs complaining about DOA HD's have this issue.

The "No harddisk detected" message probably is due to the IDE controller on the board still being enabled with no IDE devices plugged in. If you don't have any IDE devices installed you can disable the controller in the BIOS to get rid of the message.

Solution

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Ok thank you guys. I appreciate your help so much, very greatly, since it is hard to get help with computers and I appreciate you guys taking time out your day to help me.

Also, I am re-using this harddrive from another computer, so I don't think it is not-formatted.

However, I am going out right now to buy windows 7 and I will boot from optical and see if it works and if not, I will check BIOS to disable any possible IDE controllers.

Thank you all who responded once again.