AMD 970 NB: Max Temp

Wildbook

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
I just checked the temps on my motherboard and noticed that the NB is always the hottest place.

After checking a few times I saw that the NB gets up to 65-70c easily under load.

Is this normal, and what is the max safe temp for it to be running at?

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB
RAM: 2x Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 4GB
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 EVO

If you need to know anything else, tell me. :)

Thank you.
//Wildbook

Solution
Keep it under 75. That board only has a 4+1 power phase and The NorthBridge heatsink is not the improved one like on the Gigabyte 990fx boards.

Your cooler does not help either, as it blows air horizontally right above the NB, effectively blocking it off from getting fresh air. Try pointing a side panel fan at it and see if it helps.

I don't think so... Did you try changing motherboards?

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
That is definitely on warmer side for NB....You can try pulling the heatsink off and putting better paste on like Arctic Silver 5 etc, it probably still has the Thermal pad on there?...they are not very good.... I have had quite a bit of success doing this... My rampage Board, NB and SB tend to want to run hot....

Keep it under 75. That board only has a 4+1 power phase and The NorthBridge heatsink is not the improved one like on the Gigabyte 990fx boards.

Your cooler does not help either, as it blows air horizontally right above the NB, effectively blocking it off from getting fresh air. Try pointing a side panel fan at it and see if it helps.

Solution

Wildbook

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

Thank you.
I've noticed that the cooler doesn't exactly help, but it's better with it than with the stock cooler from AMD.

There isn't really a problem keeping it under 75 as I use SpeedFan for monitoring it.
I just wondered why it became so hot, and why, and you answered both of these questions.

Thanks again :D

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Dude a fan would be great and all....But this is a simple overlooked procedure and not hard....remove heatsink/clean put good/quality paste on correctly it fixes it 90% of the time....probably an old crappy thermal pad....or poor paste/grease.....or it was never applied right to begin with....lots times there is like 2-5x too much paste.....Remember Less is FAR MORE.

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
No dude don't Assume quality Control is good...I have Gotten boards back from being RMAed this Rampage board for example....I should of took pictures of the stuff when I pulled off NB/SB Heatsinks....SB literally had like 5x too much crappy/white paste/ was blobbed/caked over the sides....NB had old thermal pad....but it looked like someone just added more paste to it...and again like waay too much....and no wonder the temperature was upwards in to 70-75c....

Language please

Wildbook

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

I think the motherboard is about 6-8 months, maybe a year.
I'm thinking about reapplying new paste as I haven't touched it since the MoBo was new, if it was badly done then.
How do you change the paste? :)

Thank you.
//Wildbook

EJSMiranda

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
I have the same temps in the same motherboard! I think it´s ok! Mine only maxes out at 70c in some Games that uses the CPU and GPU at 100%. In the AMD 970 chipset manual, says that 95c is the themperature where the functionality of chip is qualified, and 105c is the temperature at which the device can operate without causing damage.

giantsnerd

Prominent
Apr 30, 2018
I have a 970 motherboard and the NB reaches 85 degrees during stress testing. My NB will throttle at 85. I can watch HWMonitor and as soon as the temps hit 85 the CPU frequency drops in half. After it cools a little bit CPU frequency goes back up. I'm going to try putting quality thermal paste on and see where that gets me.