[SOLVED] AMD a10-6700 good for personal server?

Aertheos

Honorable
Jan 19, 2016
Hello tom's hardware users,

My friend is offering me a computer that he previously used for a very minor personal server. It runs an AMD a10-6700 and I'm curious if that will still hold up if I am going to be running it almost exclusively for small game servers for me and my friends to play on. If its possible, I'd like to know a general "max" I'd be able to do with the server, if I put in a new gpu (probably something cheap like a GTX 1660 super).

Thank you all! Please let me know if I need to give any more information about the server

Solution
The assorted older APU processors (notably pre-Ryzen) are quite weak, and, actually hosting the server while playing the game will not help much regardless of which GPU it's given.

You can certainly try it, however, and see if it meets your needs. (If not, you now have an excuse to plan the R3-3300X or R5-3600/B450/550 combo you ought to have anyway) :)
The assorted older APU processors (notably pre-Ryzen) are quite weak, and, actually hosting the server while playing the game will not help much regardless of which GPU it's given.

You can certainly try it, however, and see if it meets your needs. (If not, you now have an excuse to plan the R3-3300X or R5-3600/B450/550 combo you ought to have anyway) :)

Solution