AMD A10-6800K, thoughts?

FreezeRay

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Looking to get an AMD build started on the kind cheap, but I want to know the community perspective on this APU, your experience with it, etc etc. Any help, thoughts, comments, hate mail will be appreciated. I've never built an AMD platform before, however I do want to stick to the FM2 socket for slight future proofing. Looking to build a solid machine for everyday use, some light gaming with potential to expand into heavy later, and some light video editing.

Solution
I have a rig that has an A10-5800K; bought it about an year ago. It was a great all-around PC, and it could play Bioshock: Infinite and Tomb Raider decently (avg of just over 30 frames-per-second, if I recall correctly?), although not at high graphic settings or resolutions.

If you have realistic expectations about what you want, go for it. Like others said, make sure you get an FM2+ socket, for the most longevity. The next generation of APUs is just around the corner.
get an FM2+ motherboard. with the (+) version you have an upgrade path........ also, the new APU's will be out soon. the on chip graphics is supposed to be as good as a 7750 discreet card.

the 6800k with the on chip graphics you should be able to play most games well at 720p.

if your building a rig wait a few weeks as the newer amd apu is dropping and does not use the fm2 mb but the fm2 plus mb. I would look to see if the x line of chips with a gpu is a better gamer then the apu. (heat issues). taking the ipgpu off the apu and just having a cheap cpu does the cpu game better. with your build use the fast ram apu need it to run better.

FreezeRay

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Ah I meant FM2+ socket, you caught me. I was wanting to go for the 6800K because since the new Kaveri APU's are coming soon, the old ones should take a bit of a price hit and if I want to upgrade later I have the ability.

buy a 5800k. save some money and still get almost the same exact performance. on a good day you can get them for $110.

I have a rig that has an A10-5800K; bought it about an year ago. It was a great all-around PC, and it could play Bioshock: Infinite and Tomb Raider decently (avg of just over 30 frames-per-second, if I recall correctly?), although not at high graphic settings or resolutions.

If you have realistic expectations about what you want, go for it. Like others said, make sure you get an FM2+ socket, for the most longevity. The next generation of APUs is just around the corner.

Solution