AMD A10-7870K with MSI Radeon R7 250 Dual Graphics set up

akensai

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
The best Discrete Graphics Card which can used in Dual Graphics with the A10-7870k is the R7 250.

The thing to remember about Dual Graphics (and CrossFire) is that both GPU's have to be running at the same speed for it to work correctly. This means that both cards will only be able to utilize the running power of the lowest end card. On a basic level this means that a higher end card has to "slow" itself down to match the speed of the lower end one. This is not something which can be overcome with "drivers" or "firmware updates" it is a requirement of the technology itself.

As such, when you check the specifications of the A10-7870k you will see that it only has up to 512 Stream Pipelines (Cores) and these are run at around 866MHz. Also APU's must utilize your Systems installed DRR3 RAM which is slower then "dedicated" GDDR5 RAM which a Discrete Graphics Card would use. Now if you were to use the Discrete Graphics Card R7 250 in Dual Graphics with the A10-7870k you would end up getting higher performance then only using one of those cards by itself. But if you were to use a R7 250X or higher card the overall performance of a single card would out-pace that same card run in "Dual Graphics" with the A10-7870k.

Also please remember that Dual Graphics (and CrossFire) only are enabled in compatible games, while playing in Full Screen Mode. As such a single card, higher then the R7 250, would be a better choice overall, if you are looking for performance. The HD 7950 has 1792 Stream Pipelines and normally comes with 2-3 GBs of GDDR5 memory. As such, this card by itself would far out perform any APU + Discrete Graphics Card setup.

With that information given. Here is another quote from the AMD dev forums.

Dual graphics functionality has yet to be added to our Crimson drivers. Please roll back to the latest Catalyst driver to enable full functionality of your system.

flicefer

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015

if u didnt see on CCC, u must go to bios and unlock it from there.

thepaulguy

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016

Already did that in the MSi BIOS. It's set to IGD\Dual Graphics\2GB Memory. It just doesn't show in CCC. Pisses me off because that's the only reason I went with an APU. Now I'm stuck with it and can't even utilize the built in graphics.

Sebastian_26

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

Any updates on this?I fell victim to this trap as well and with the new crimson software I do not see where the dual graphics is supposed to be

setiboinc3

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

Hi,,I have found that if in BIOS uefi set up U put enable on onboard garphics and auto share memory and cable to the PCIx to monitor in Radeon settings in Global Setings (games global settings) put your onboard graphics to chill or frame rate to 60fps is thze best performance I was supprised because before ive done that Dirt 4 was on low garphics even the advance settings to get the smooth play but with this setting now its on ULTRA or HIGH. byeee

TRENDING THREADS