AMD A10-7890K vs Playstation 4 APU

pxlbot

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
I'm looking at the AMD A10-7890K APU and trying to stack up its performance against the Playstation 4. It seems a lot of the specs are similar except a lower clock speed on the Playstation 4 and more teraflops on the PS4.

Im just a bit baffled. How does AMD release a a product a few years back (PS4) with an APU and then a few years later, they release an APU which has less teraflops (A10-7890K)? Maybe it's me but am I reading this wrong? The new AMD APU has a faster clock but less TF. My main purpose is to do some gaming and I want to see how an APU stands up alone since the PS4 is using a standalone APU.

Ryan_78

Honorable
It's older x86, but it is like a dual core quad threaded CPU the jaguar.also the APU GPU is slightly stronger I believe. Mostly, if you want extreme performance , go Intel. AMD can't do that.

SPAWN of II

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016

The A10 is for a combine GPU and CPU, the purpose is to get alright graphics without needing a GPU, the PS4 however does have a GPU so it will perform better, you need a different CPU and a GPU to get good gaming on PC.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Even if the APU on the A10 is similar to the APU on the PS4; the PS4 will always perform better since PS4 games can be fully optimized to take advantage of the PS4 hardware. On top of that, the CPU on the PS4 has 8 cores compared to the 4 cores on the A10. PS4 is designed only for games while the PC is designed to do everything.

The A10 is great for HTPCs or budget gaming computers, but if you want comparable gaming performance to a PS4 then you'll need a faster CPU and a faster discrete video card.

pxlbot

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
From my understanding, the PS4 had a custom Radeon 7xxx graphics as part of their Jaguar APU. The A10-7890 APU has Radeon R7 graphics. So I'm still unsure why they dont have comparable performance and teraflops. Possibly higher output on the GPU portion of the APU. Still, a few years go by and you cant get better performance from their new APU.

pxlbot

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
8 cores on CPU huh? Thats probably it. The A10 has 4 cpu cores and 8 GPU cores. Probably where the difference in GFLOPS is being made up in addition to the optimized OS and uptick in gpu power from the Pitcairn HD 7870.

Ryan_78

Honorable
Yea it's eight cores, but unlike bulldozer, FOUR cores are linked together, making some OS read it as dual core quad threaded. The performance is quite good even for 1.6 ghz turbo 2.75 ghz. And as they point out, optimization is also big part.

VampireSoul1217

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Yeah but A10 7890k amd Godavari apu can use crossfire dual graphics even 2 R7 250 cards. Pushing up to 60fps at full hd at low and 30 fps at high settings.