AMD A6 6400k work with a R9 270x?

AnOfficialPanda

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
hello i am buying a pc for my son and i was wondering does the AMD cpu work with R9 270x graphics card and 8 gb ram i dont know much about pc thank you

Solution
Single player the Athlon with a mix of Medium/High will hold 40-60fps and the Pentium with High/Ultra. Neither system would handle BF4 multiplayer @1080 on High/Ultra with a range of 40-60fps.

I would expect you would need something more on the linee below to do so.

I5-4400 or Fx-8350

R9 270X or a 760 GTX

Both are of a different motherboard and much more expensive.
It will work but the A6 6400K is a weak CPU and will bottleneck the Graphics card ( i.e the graphics card will not be able to achieve its maximum potential in such config ).

A Better CPU will be FX-6300 or I3-4150. Just make sure that you pickout a compatible motherboard and a Power supply with sufficient wattage :)

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Yes it will work but APU's are budget oriented so expect budget FPS regardless the GPU you add. For the FM2 the best CPU you can get is the Athlon 760K, overclocked they do very well.

The better option for a budget is one of the new Pentiums overclocked and matched with the R9 270x, they will run all games at a very impressive setting but would require and new motherboard.

760K Athlon $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113348

Intel Pentium G3440 $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116997&cm_re=pentium-_-19-116-997-_-Product

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Single player the Athlon with a mix of Medium/High will hold 40-60fps and the Pentium with High/Ultra. Neither system would handle BF4 multiplayer @1080 on High/Ultra with a range of 40-60fps.

I would expect you would need something more on the linee below to do so.

I5-4400 or Fx-8350

R9 270X or a 760 GTX

Both are of a different motherboard and much more expensive.

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Yes it can but it struggles in Ultra with 64 people on the screen, been there tried that.

I look at it this way, what would you pick?

1.A Sold Dual Core that can be overclocked. "Budget"
2.A Dual Core that can't be overclocked but has hyper threading. "Slightly more expensive"
3.A True Quad Core "More expensive"
4.A True Quad Core that can be overclocked. "Lots more expensive"

1 and 2 will struggle in games that utilize 4 cores, 2 not as much but still in max settings and compared to a true Quad it will not be as efficient. 3 and 4 will run the same but the added headroom of 4 allows you to increase performance as much as 30% which is well worth the added money.

Given a budget of $100 would I pick a Overclockable CPU or on that isn't? You will actually get a little more FPS out of the Overclockable not by much but enough to think about the $30 difference.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree completely with that the i3 will struggle , See the frame variance in 64 Man server ( no sign of struggles at all ).

I know what I am talking about ,
bf4-ftv.png

bf4-ftv-sample.png

Rock Solid sir , i3 won't struggle at all as in fact its a very decent choice and the difference between it and the i5 is very minimal .

Also here in MP 64 man servers no sign of noticeable frame variance over time with the i3 ( older gen , weaker and the latency isn't killing the performance also its coupled with a titan so in real world terms coupled with 270X no performance dips will occur ).

CPU-FTV.png