AMD A6 or Intel I3?

Mercedes87

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Hi i'm a 24 year old girl in Lima Peru and because I live here I only have access to the following brands and models, but first i'd like to state that Im mostly looking for playing multiple youtube videos and also video editing, nothing serious and probably not even 720HD editing but it would be nice to have the possibility of 720 editing without lag.

The following laptops are my options.

Acer V3-551-7859 AMG 6 / 4GB Ram / 2.7 Ghz up to 3.20 Ghz / 500GB HD

Acer V5-171-6689 Core I3-2367M / 1.40 Ghz / 4 GB Ram / 3M Cache / 500HD

HP 14B-063 Core I3-2367/ 4GB Ram / 500HD / 1.4 Ghz / 3MB L3 Cache

Which one should I buy?

rdc85

Honorable
First welcome to Tom's

A6 (4400m) has better graphic, i3 will benefit from hyperthreading..
I don't think smooth video editing will able be done with both of them, but they will plays video fine...

I would go with a6 as they usually cheaper (put the extra money for wireless mouse/cooling pad/etc... :D)

First: Reference your Yahoo search. “John's” reply is not entirely correct. He based his assumptions solely on CPU speed (GHzs). This is not valid as the Intel cpu is far more efficient (does more per give clock cycle). and based on below, is a better choice for CPU intensive application.

Most likely Both will work for “you tube gaming” as that is pretty low resolution.
The I3-2367M is a Sandybridge CPU that uses the Intel HD3000 iGPU. Here is a How to check graphics performance.
Google HD3000, select the notebook check review:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html
Lower left-hand side will show a large Number of games and FPS.
Repeat for the integrated GPU in the AMD and make your comparison.
In general the AMD integrated GPU will outperform the HD3000.

Hard Call as you are not on the higher end of GPU needs.
Outside of “full screen Gameplay” the Intel would be a better choice. If Full screen Gameplay is paramount, then the AMD would probably be the better choice. – I’m Not a gamer and for that reason lean toward the Intel Sandybridge (or newer Ivybridge) CPUs.

For CPU intensive Apps:
AMD A6-4455M (could not find which specific AMD CPU your choice had):
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A6-4455M-Notebook-Processor.74885.0.html
Intel i3-2367M
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-2367M-Notebook-Processor.64165.0.html
Bottom line: GPU goes to AMD, CPU goes to Intel. (Note the Intel i3-2xxx is last year’s model, the newer lineup is Ivybridge (ie i3-3xxx).
As to brands Acer verse HP – Got a coin, flip it Head HP, Tails Acer Both are NOT know for “least user problems” although I’ve heard that recently Acer has improved on Quality. HP makes some very good Enterprise Notebooks (at a pretty penny); too bad they do not put the same emphasis on Consumer line-up.

Me, I’d vote for the I3

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
AMD A6 is a more suitable option for your needs. Video editing is a demanding task that can be offloaded to GPUs for far greater efficience and speed. Most software editors who provide such solutions are rapidly shifting towards this. It means that a better GPU is, for now and more so in the future, a better fit for video processing. A6 APUs feature accelerated video decoding, too.

Also, one subject of importance considering your lineup of choices: Memory. 4Gb is good, but you may want to upgrade this in the future. Check if these models have ram soldered onboard or if they are using standard SODIMM banks. Avoid soldered memory at all costs!! On a side note, the AMD APUs have show high sensitivity to memory speed. Uprgading memory will provide more punch on the AMD side.

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I need more information about the CPU's to decide.
The Core I3-2367 has only 2 cores and relys on "hyperthreading" for 4 threads.

****IF the AMD A6 has 4 cores it will actually be better at multithreaded applications. SO check that out.
If the AMD only has 2 cores, I'd go with the Intel version.

I could not find the exact model of CPU either.

You can look at the product model number and kindof tell which one is better.

The Acer V3 is a lower number than the Acer V5.
usually that means the V5 is better in some way. Make sure you find out what way that is!

Mercedes87

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Thank you all for your responses I really appreciate it. I think the AMD A6 is a Quad so I think i'l be going with that as it's also cheaper because it's an older Windows 7 model compared to the others which are windows 8.

rdc85

Honorable
For information....

A6 in Acer V3-551-7859 is A6- 4400M (From the source i can find) is dual core not quad core as A6 in Older generation APU ....

But it perform in marginal lower/higher than i3 ...
(but i3 will benefit from HT amd lacking)....

anyways : make sure u also bought a cooling pad or tilt the laptop a little bit so the laptop can breath, heat is an enemy for lappy.

For CPU:
Quote:

In terms of raw general performance, the A6-4455M should perform significantly faster than the E-Series (e.g. E2-1800), but cannot compete with Intels ULV processors. End quote
Looking @ benchmarks, The i3 is considerably better in PCmark Vantage and in Cinebench R10: Rendering Multiple CPUs 64Bit.
Without looking up: the A6-4455M should be> than 4400M making the diff more pronounced.

But as I stated this has to be weighted against the slghtly lower #D performance.

Still, for all round coumputer usagage I think I'd still go with the i3. Might look for a i3 IB model, if not much higher than the SB unit.

Can you provide a link to the laptop? If it does indeed have the AMD A6-4455M, then the Core i3-2367m laptop is better despite the difference in clock speed.

Both will be fine for playing back multiple Youtube videos; it will be your internet connection that will actually affect performance. As for editing and encoding videos, the Core i3 holds a significant advantage. Click the link below for some benchmark, the ones that are directly related to video editing/encoding are:

X264 HD Benchmark 4.0: Pass 1 = Core i3-2367m has 32% higher performance.

X264 HD Benchmark 4.0: Pass 2 = Core i3-2367m has 29% higher performance.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A6-4455M-Notebook-Processor.74885.0.html

Mercedes87

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

http://www.falabella.com.pe/falabella-pe/product/13344912/Notebook-AMD-A6--V3-551-7859--15,6%22?passedNavAction=push

http://www.ripley.com.pe/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producto-TVRipley-10051-ESP-2004148647392-LAPTOPS-COMPUTO

http://www.ripley.com.pe/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producto-TVRipley-10051-ESP-2004149278694-LAP_MAR_HP-COMPUTO

Here are all three, all these opposing sides kind of got me confused haha. Most likely I'l be using a basic video editor, nothing professional, just for leisure.

Mercedes87

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

So than in what case would the AMD 6 be better? Because I remember the guy saying it was a quad.

Gingyr

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Hi mercedes, which A6 is it as they some are dual core? The AMD APU will be a lot more flexible and as good as if not better on battery life. One thing to take into consideration is that the AMD APU will offer Open CL acceleration on some video encoding packages giving a significant boost to the AMD APU's performance.

Thats my recommendation anyways

Hope it helps
G.