News AMD A620 Motherboards Listed Overseas For Under $100

We think vendors may temporarily roll with the first design to meet AMD's launch window, rumored to be the middle of the year

Actually, these entry-level motherboards are being prepped for unveiling later this month with retail availability expected in April. A new report also states that these boards might support AMD AM5 CPUs up to 100W.

Of course take this leak as a rumor for now, but few other posts on the Chinese board Forums/Insider tech community hub are claiming the same availability/release timeline (around April 2023).

A620 Seems to be coming out in a week - SFF Minor Gallery (dcinside.com)

In addition to MSI boards, a few Gigabyte models have also been confirmed through a listing at the EEC (via Momom_US), but these are not listed on any online store yet:
  • A620M GAMING X AX
  • A620M GAMING X
  • A620M C

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
A620 is likely not a chipset at all: just a dummy to activate the CPU, all the connectivity is coming from CPU directly (like it was on AM4 for A "chipset").

The A620 chipset might not support USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 ports. It could be limited to just two USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports and two USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports while retaining the six USB 2.0 ports.
USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 ports are implemented in actual chipset (Promontory for AM5), so "chipset" A620 obviously won't have them. But the rest isn't true: CPU has 4 USB3 Gen 2 + 1 USB2, so providing less than that would be artificial limitation (still very likely – to cut the cost despite that the savings would be fraction of $ for manufacturer).

If one desires usb 3 on that board, I was looking and it looks like some of them like this one will have a couple of pci e x1 slots.

TweakTown.com Enlarged Image (new) - /image.php?image=https://static.tweaktown.com/news/9/0/90867_04_the-asrock-a620-motherboard-is-first-entry-level-am5-board-to-be-pictured_full.jpg

If that's the case, maybe a card like this would be useful. Surely there are others, this was just one in a quick search.

PCIe USB 3.0 Card 7 Port, RIITOP PCI-e Express x1 to 7 Port USB3.0 Expansion Controller Card Adapter, NEC Chipset, No Need Power Supply - Newegg.com

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
A620 is likely not a chipset at all: just a dummy to activate the CPU, all the connectivity is coming from CPU directly (like it was on AM4 for A "chipset").

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 ports are implemented in actual chipset (Promontory for AM5), so "chipset" A620 obviously won't have them. But the rest isn't true: CPU has 4 USB3 Gen 2 + 1 USB2, so providing less than that would be artificial limitation (still very likely – to cut the cost despite that the savings would be fraction of $ for manufacturer).
Ryzen 7K CPUs don't have any native SATA ports from the SoC, so I would imagine that the A620 would need to have have at least some actual functionality in order to provide those.

Last edited:
Reactions: thisisaname

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
I personally do not feel that the AM5 mobos with the X670 and B650E chipsets are over priced if you are buying a quality mobo such as the Steel Legend from Asrock or similar. I haven't checked current prices from Gigabyte or Asus but they tend to charge more and not deliver any more value when it comes to AM5 systems. When using the same chipset you are going to get the same basic performance.

Why anyone would pay $500 for a mobo that doesn't perform any better than the $300 Steel Legend is beyond me regardless of brand. If people are willing to pay those prices mobo makers are going to charge those prices.

The A620 chipset and <$100. mobos are very basic entry level mobos that allow people to enjoy a current AM5 system at a very budget friendly price. In many respects it's a gift compared to a std. X670/B650E chipset mobo.

Actually, these entry-level motherboards are being prepped for unveiling later this month with retail availability expected in April. A new report also states that these boards might support AMD AM5 CPUs up to 100W.

Actually, WCCFTECH has not just confirmed this. Like I mentioned earlier, AMD's A620 chipset motherboards for AM5 PC builds are finally launching tomorrow.

AMD A620 Motherboards For Entry-Level AM5 PCs Launch Tomorrow, MSI A620 PCB & Pricing Revealed (wccftech.com)

Based on the latest information that we have received, AMD and its partners will finally introduce the much-awaited & very affordable AM5 motherboard options tomorrow. The boards will adopt the A620 chipset which will come in two flavors, one variant will be a cut-down B650 SKU due to yields and the other will be the proper A620 die which will mostly be the more affordable option.