AMD A8 6600k APU bottleneck

delic978

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
So i have a AMD 6600k apu CPU (3.9 Ghz) with Radeon HD 8570D graphics card, 8gb ddr3 ram. I recently bought a ASUS dual gtx 1050 2gb and it's been extremly underperforming. Constant FPS drops in games like Overwatch and Rainbow six siege. So i lowered the graphic settings but it still didn't help. So i thought maybe the CPU is bottlenecking so i overclocked it by 0.1 GHz and it started working a little better but still not nearly as it is supposed to. So i overclocked the CPU by 0.1 Ghz again and now it's even worse. I'm barely getting 60 FPS with constant drops to 30 FPS so i came here for some help. Is the CPU really bottlenecking or is something else the problem?

Solution
APUs aren't meant for gaming, that doesn't mean you can't use them that way but they don't perform as well as regular CPUs in games.

A program like MSI Afterburner will show onscreen while you run your games things like CPU and GPU usage. So what I suggest is change all the speeds back to normal. Then run a game while using MSI Afterburner. Is your CPU usage hitting 100%? If yes this means your CPU is what's holding you back.

I'm assuming you have the monitor hooked up to the new videocard and not the motherboard like it was before. And you installed the newest drivers right?
APUs aren't meant for gaming, that doesn't mean you can't use them that way but they don't perform as well as regular CPUs in games.

A program like MSI Afterburner will show onscreen while you run your games things like CPU and GPU usage. So what I suggest is change all the speeds back to normal. Then run a game while using MSI Afterburner. Is your CPU usage hitting 100%? If yes this means your CPU is what's holding you back.

I'm assuming you have the monitor hooked up to the new videocard and not the motherboard like it was before. And you installed the newest drivers right?

Solution