AMD A8 6600K Graphics Card

Giddoo

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hii im new here and not too clued up on computers but i know a few things, my mate has the AMD A8 6600K processor and i was doing some reading and found out its an APU dont know if this means anything for when choosing a graphics card. However he has around 100-150GBP and just basically need some help on a decent graphics card for that kind of money to recommend ideally something that will compliment the CPU well work together for the best performance.

Thanks Joe

Giddoo

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Im not too sure either but i could just see if anywhere in the UK has the ones you recommend.

Giddoo

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

I was looking at that earlier is it hard to set up for Hybrid Crossfire, also i can get specs of his PC if needed which might be abit more help for motherboard and case parameters for the graphics card.

RaiCoss

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Ok great, but I wouldn't recommend the Radeon 6670/7670 idea, as I've never tested it. The GeForce 660 is your best bet, or a 650 Ti if the case is a bit cramped.

Also, that DABS link I posted is a UK based site, so he could easily order off there if he lives in the U.K.

PSU power (450W for example), and case space/motherboard info would be useful.

RaiCoss

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

On the U.K site it's £226.35 lol. We always get overcharged in the U.K...
It's also a big ass card.

RaiCoss

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Looks like it should be fine for the 660 I linked to. The only concern is with a pre-built machine is they probably used a cheap arse PSU. That can cause problems if you connect up a card that draws a lot of power over the rail. He might want to upgrade to a Corsair 500W PSU just to play it safe (something like this - http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-500-watt-builder-series-cx-500-modular-power-supply-8GFT.html?refs=50113&src=3 ).

Pre-builts tend to cut some corners to bring the price down (low quality PSUs being one of them). That's why self-build is usually a better (and pretty much always cheaper) option.

Giddoo

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Okay thanks a lot for your help RaiCoss, ill tell him to get that 660 ordered then haha is it hard to setup this crossfire or is that for when your running dual monitors and will the 660 fit in his pre built case and be compatible with the motherboard. Sorry to peck head haha but thanks again.

RaiCoss

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Motherboard compatibility should be fine.
From the looks of the case on NovaTech's site (the company who made the case your friend has), the card should just about fit. The PSU however is looking pretty dodgy. It's one of those ones that's included with the case, and they almost universally suck at the lower end price bracket for cases. If I were you, I would email NovaTech, and ask them what the maximum supported length is for graphics cards in that case. That way you should avoid any nasty surprises.

The Hybrid CrossFire (or Dual Graphics as it's known now), basically means the graphics load is shared between the APU A8's on chip GPU (basically a graphics chip built onto the CPU), and the Radeon 6670/7670. I've read however that it has a nasty habit of micro-stutter (not good), so I really don't recommend that option.

RaiCoss

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014

Haha. Thanks, but I very rarely drink alcohol! :p

RaiCoss

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
P.S. Also keep in mind that if the card needs any external power from a 6pin connector, it may need extra clearance at the back of the card (about a 1cm). Some graphics cards have top mounted power input, others have back mounted.