News AMD Adds RDNA 2-Based Van Gogh Enabling Firmware to Linux

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
While the article clearly states that we really don't know the details of Van Gogh, I really hope the Zen 2 cores is a typo especially as the 5000 series APU lineup has Zen 3, although gimped by the ancient Vega GPU. I've been waiting for a proper Zen 3+(vcache would be even better) w/ RDNA2 APU.

Speaking of the semi-custom PS5 + 4700S; I've been extremely curoius if there is any information available on the GDDR6 Memory Controller?

Last edited:

washmc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
While the article clearly states that we really don't know the details of Van Gogh, I really hope the Zen 2 cores is a typo especially as the 5000 series APU lineup has Zen 3, although gimped by the ancient Vega GPU. I've been waiting for a proper Zen 3+(vcache would be even better) w/ RDNA2 APU.

Speaking of the semi-custom PS5 + 4700S; I've been extremely curoius if there is any information available on the GDDR6 Memory Controller?
The reason for using Zen 2 is it has a smaller die size. I'm assuming RDNA 2 vs RDNA 1 is similar so they might need the extra space to fit RDNA 2. Zen 2 is more than enough anyway you aren't going to be CPU limited when gaming on an APU.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder if they'll still have an infinity cache for the RDNA2 GPU. I imagine it becomes a lot harder justifying the significant chunk of die space required when it's a small die aimed at mid to entry level products.