News AMD Admits Faulty Vapor Chamber Causes RX 7900 XTX Throttling

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
AMD: "we are working to determine the root cause"

Cut the crap AMD. You knew damn well you sold these faulty products. der8auer figured it out after 5 minutes but you were unaware what you were shipping or something? AMD was just hoping no one would notice the defect. Shameful.

Cut the crap AMD. You knew damn well you sold these faulty products
why?
it makes no sense for them to do so.

they gain nothing by selling some faulty coolers as they get to deal with RMA & service fees w/o getting any more $ out of it.

and if not all batch thing they could of (unluckily) only tested ones w/o issue and deemed em all fine on their end.

its not liek Nvidia's choice of adapter & melting risk (still bad but gpu still works w/o risk to anything)

Cut the crap AMD. You knew damn well you sold these faulty products. der8auer figured it out after 5 minutes but you were unaware what you were shipping or something? AMD was just hoping no one would notice the defect. Shameful.

AMD took 5 days to issue a statement, Nvidia took a month and didnt issue a statement before GamerNexus did all the work themselves. And still, Nvidia didnt issue a replacement cable following standard and the PCI-SIG committee is blaming Nvidia directly.

So go take a walk NVDelusional...

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023

Are you really that oblivious to how things work in the world. Shameful to be posting such BS.

No mass consumer products are tested to a degree where something like the issue at hand is going to be picked up with certainty, it is why there is warranties and the like.

As describe in the article the issue is with the vapor cooling part, clearly some parts from a supplier has turned out to be faulty as in it not being a design error but a production error at the supplier. It might be some machines wasn't setup right, a part failed or it could be a operator error.
Essentially something relative simple, something guys like der8auer could have guessed - in fact given the limited number of faulty reports and the way they came about he should have done so. Only it was of course better for him to do a massive stink and calling for AMD to issue a recall, seems like he found his target audience with you.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD took 5 days to issue a statement, Nvidia took a month and didnt issue a statement before GamerNexus did all the work themselves. And still, Nvidia didnt issue a replacement cable following standard and the PCI-SIG committee is blaming Nvidia directly.

AMD has known about this issue for more than 5 days.

amdigor.jpg

How much have you heard about the 16 pin connector since it was determined to be user error? Once people were made aware of the issue and you only need to make sure the cable is properly seated, it magically stopped happening.

Jan 5, 2023
AMD has known about this issue for more than 5 days.

amdigor.jpg

How much have you heard about the 16 pin connector since it was determined to be user error? Once people were made aware of the issue and you only need to make sure the cable is properly seated, it magically stopped happening.
Can't really blame it all on user error when the design of the connector makes it both inordinately difficult to fully insert, and to determine if it's fully inserted. And things tend to not be in the news as much once they are figured out, and new developments stop coming in.

It will continue being a problem until the connector design is improved. Unless you have some way to guarantee that every future 40 series owner knows to use a degree of force that the average person would reasonably assume to be damaging to their new $1500 GPU. A note in the install directions to make sure it's fully inserted doesn't really cover that.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013

I remember not in very distant past, a certain company did exactly that with their highly anticipated and very overpriced product and interestingly enough that company has yet to publicly admit mistakes were made. 🤨

I don't think AMD is that company tho! 🤔

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
To all that compare this problem with the nvidia power pins:
what do you prefer, a car that suddenly accelerates or a car that goes into "limp home" after 1 hour? Which do you think is really dangerous on the road?
My point is that the nvidia power pins poses a potential fire hazard. This one just reduces it's performance (plenty of warning in case it DOES kill it).

KyaraM

Admirable

GN also concludes that it needs a very stupid or incompetent user to actually make them melt. You need to pull out the cable several millimeter and additionally tilt them for anything to happen. It's also such an obscure and specific user error that he himself needed a while to figure out what actually happened. Furthermore, he concluded that the occurrence of the burning issue is less than 1%. Compared to that, this vapor chamber is the bigger design flaw since it hits more people. And that has nothing to do with being delusional, that is just how it is. But I mean, if you have no argument, do an ad hominem against your opponent and call them delusional I guess?

To refresh your memory, here is the testing with conclusion.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2px7ofKhQ

logainofhades

Titan

No company ships 100% good product, every time. Bad batches can and will happen. What matters is how effective their corrective actions are, and how they handle the rest of the situation.

wrp_1

Honorable
Oct 6, 2016
During production testing graphics cards are normally inserted into a test jig vertically. As Der8auer extensively tested, the issue only occurs when card is placed horizontally, like in most of PCs. So I can easily see how those cards passed production testing just fine but had a problem when got to the end users.

Mine arrives today, I'll see what happens. I also pre-ordered a EK waterblock for it as well. Got the GPU and waterblock for a little more than the price of a 4080(which I would then have to buy a waterblock for).

It arrived and is faulty. GPU temp is beautiful around 65°c but the junction temp(temp @ die center hits 100°c in just a few seconds. My games ctd constantly. Waterblock is expected in beginning of February. Such a shame as it's truly a beautiful looking card!

Update: it ended up somehow being my PC acting up and reset BIOS to defaults and no more CTD. It still hits 110°c junction temp and fans are screaming, though.

Last edited: