News AMD Adrenalin Edition 22.12.2 Driver Slashes RX 7900 XT(X) Power Consumption

Oh AMD... At least you're trying xD

Let's hope the hot spot stuff is a simple RMA or guide on how someone can DYI fix it. Everything else, I'd imagine there will be plenty driver updates in a short amount of time. Or I hope so? Maybe they can deal with most issues in a single big driver release? Who knows.

At least nothing is melting, right?

Regards.

weber462

Honorable
Mar 22, 2018
How are people getting their hands on these? I've been looking since release for a XTX and haven't found one drop Post 5 min after embargo lift.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
They're available on AMD's website. Apparently the release date was December 20.

EDIT: wait, are you asking about the drivers? Or the actual cards? The drivers are what I was referring to.

Last edited:

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
How are people getting their hands on these? I've been looking since release for a XTX and haven't found one drop Post 5 min after embargo lift.
I could pick up a RX 7900 XT from a store almost around the corner (Sapphire or Gigabyte one), or a RTX 4090 (Gigabyte, Zotac, Inno3D, MSI), or a RTX 4080 (likewise, plus a few more). They don't have a 7900 XTX though (yet, or sold it out).

And another store a bit "further down the road", they have e.g. RTX 4090 and RX 7900 XT as well in stock. So I suppose I can't complain about availability here in Berlin, unless I would want a RX 7900 XTX tomorrow at 10 AM.

Not sure though why such a difference, as in whether more items shipped to Europe, or simply not as huge a demand in Europe (with e.g. energy prices in Germany more expensive than in the U.S.), or ports working a bit more efficient here, or less scalpers, or ...

In any case, I recently picked up a RX 6700 XT, and that will have to do for me for the time being anyhow.

D

Deleted member 431422

Was it that hard to do a quick test to see if the new driver changes things? This article is useless. I already read it twice on sites which deal with quick, non informative news. I was expecting more from Tom's Hardware.

Reactions: KraakBal

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

I JUST logged into newegg's site and found 2 x XTX, 3 x XT and 1 RTX 3080 in stock. 2 more on back order (for the AMD cards) due in in about a week it said.

omega215d

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2014
My local Micro Center has the 7900 XT cards in plentiful stock but it's $900 or so. The 7900 XTX was just sold out but were in stock upon release day. I guess people would rather spend the extra $100 to get that model. I guess it all depends on where you are.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
same with the store i go to. 4080's in stock, while some xt's are sold out, and some xtx's are sold out.

at this point, i would get a top end xtx over a 4080, for 3 reasons, 1) top end xtx is less then an entry 4080, 2) dont care for RT, only one game i play uses it, and its minimal, 3) dont care for DLSS as well. for my use, and xtx would be better then an rtx card

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
It should have been $700 to begin with.
and the 4090 and 4080, shouldnt of been the prices they are right now, point is ?
as i said above, a top level xtx is LESS then an entry level 4080. put it simple, BOTH rtx 40 and radeon 7000 are priced WAY to high. its NOT just one side or the other whose prices need to come down, but yet it only seems like most say the radeons are priced to high.

mrmessma

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
... but yet it only seems like most say the radeons are priced to high.

I don't know, I've heard same if not more say nVidia's are priced too high, but if only because they're that much MORE than Radeon prices, which I'd agree with. Both are bad, nVidia is worse.

And yet, I make enough money and have waited 3 gens to where I'd be 100% tempted if the right AIB model XTX were in stock.

Reactions: King_V

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
And yet, I make enough money and have waited 3 gens to where I'd be 100% tempted if the right AIB model XTX were in stock.
ive saved enough to finally upgrade my 1060, but at these prices, i can use my 1060 a little longer. i have had people i know tell me not to bother with the radeons, i asked them why ? their reply, RT and DLSS. i then look at them and ask them, only one game i play uses RT, and thats minimal for a 20-30 framerate hit, not worth it , and none use dlss, so why spend the extra 400+ for an RTX card, when a radeon fits what i need better, and costs less, they look at me like i am crazy

Reactions: King_V

TRENDING THREADS