AMD and advertising

G

Hey

How much do commercials actually cost?

I mean is there a reason why AMD does't advertise and have some special logo?

They don't seem to need to a lot of people know and there systems are out there but i mean advertsing and stuff does go a long way too..
Its pretty amazing to see them suceeding well and growing with not much advertising huh?

I was just curious on marketing and cpy companies

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Brochures & Pamphlets

TV advertising is expensive. Besides, AMD advertising is mostly through word of mouth.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
True, I don't think AMD has ever advertised on television. But they have tons of posters, and all these advertising materials/kits that resellers can get for free! And it's up to the retailer how many they want to order, up to a certain limit. (which should be quite enough for a typical shop)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Actually I have seen an AMD commercial. When some of the first speed battles were going on, AMD launched a commercial asserting it's postition as the fastest chip. I think it was around the time the 550-600 mhz chips were coming out.

"If I had a golden retriever, I would name it Silence, because Silence is golden."

G

Just posts on the net is a form of advertising wether it is flaming post about amd or Praising posts about them..

Then there's the brochures and pamphlets...

Word of mouth... Even intel doesn't have that much TV publicity ( well not here in Canada ) and same for microsoft..

Reviews of product are also a nice way of advertising..

It seems ( here in canada ) that the company that do the most publicity in the IT business is IBM.. Beside them it's almost nobody.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
That's right dude, but ibm wants to rule the world so of course they want publicity up here we are the most respected folks in the world dont cha know :)

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

G

I think if a company can overtake someone like Intel in the speed war, and continually make the right decisions whilst intel make the wrong ones... they deserve our praise.

It is my opinion, as it is very many other people's... that Intel need to put less money into advertising on TV (each ad costs somewhere around $600k Aus to run (depending on the length of it and timeframe) (but intel ads are always 30 seconds or more (the most expensive sort) and they're always at times that everyone will see them... Peak Hours so to speak, which add around 200 grand onto the price), and possibly arouund 500kUS... Not sure... But that price just includes the actual TV station running it on tv!!! THen you have to add in paying the performers and designers (Eg. Blueman Group) and then get people to compose the music and film the whole thing... The Average Intel TV Ad would cost the company roughly $3,000,000US to completely make and run for a few times... The more times it's run the more money they have to pay.... I think (think) i read something about Intel's marketing budget, it was in the billions... Nice to know where their priorities are hey?

AMD don't need advertising because they have us, their loyal followers who are generally the people who count and know what they're talking about, we build the computers and other people are impressed with them... AMD is purely a good company who make great chips and deserve our "love" so to speak. It's good to see a company that doesn't think billions of dollars are necessary for advertising.

I am not sure about those figures btw... i will have a look around and ask some people what they think the prices would be... THen i'll come back, if you think i'm wrong don't flame me, i admit it's only an estimate.

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Non-profit organizations use brochure and pamphlets. Are you saying AMD is non-profit? lol

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
because it's too expensive

hey, they make good chips but they're not rich.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

TRENDING THREADS