AMD and Globalfoundries to Make 28nm Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

very close to the recent article declaring that 22nm was about the smallest we'll ever see in chips.

Anyone knows if AMD uses plain silicon chips,or if it follows intel in using the high Metal-K process?

hannibal

Distinguished
So they are ready to leave the 40nm technology as an very temporary solution... sounds good, if the rumours about 40nm leakage problems are true.
But the more important thing to Ati is that it has alternatives when making new GPU's. If one source is in thouble, the other may provide and ansver. I hope that this means no more problems to Nvidia. We still need at least two GPU companies in the market.
It would be nice to see both ATI and Nvidia to buy their production from Globalfoundries... Not likely, but interestin thing to see ;-)

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Will be interesting to see what happens near the 20nm "barrier". Either a new technique will have to be implemented or a completely different approach.

Moore hasn't let us down yet but the physical material limitations are tricky...tricky along the lines of trying to make a room temperature super conductor. Not necessarily impossible but not really doable either with current knowledge.

Of course...process shrinking isn't the only way to improve performance either.

I wonder what the odds are of nVidia chips getting produced by Global. It makes business sense but it would be darn ironic.

G

When we get closer to 20nm, you'll need to expect a processor that's less overclockable, and that will warn you less with temperature increase.
It's more like a sudden fried CPU than a slowly hotter getting cpu.

Perhaps even a more instable processor, one that at times can perform faster than at other times,and depending from processor to processor.
Up 'till now processors where more consistent.
Overclocking on a certain model could be reproduced at home with a similar cpu upto a few percent of the end results. But the smaller we get, the more of that random factor we'll see.

20nm is excellent for mini netbooks.

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
AMD will begin using a high-k procces starting with their 32nm chips(they co-developed it with IBM) however, AMD/IBM use germanium and not hafnium like intel, germanium is likely better in the long run as hafnium has been said to go a little wonky when in the uber small designs(28/22nm). amd didn't need to use a high-k process with their 45nm chips like intel because of SOI. btw, we are likely going to see holographic lasers etching out processors for the 16nm->8nm stages, and by then quantum computers should be able to run more things then just a calculator...

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I'm still going with the line of thought that quantum processors will start out similar to how math coprocessors were.

The lines are starting to blur a bit between GPU/CPU steadily as well, especially if you consider how they started vs. where they are now. With nVidia wanting GPUs to take on more processor load, Intel wanting CPUs to take on more graphics load, and ATI wanting to blend the two into a more or less seamless unit.

So it might come down to a marrying of some of the functionality of GPU/CPUs with a QPU to offload appropriate bits of work. Fun to speculate about anyway. :)

G

"I think Intel copyrighted the High-K design, so if that's true, then AMD is either still using SOI or another improved process."

Nope....

Intel uses bulk silicon, the same thing they are talking about in this article. High-k just refers to the transistor gate material. They also use low-k materials. High-k isnt a type of silicon, its just talking about one small piece of the chip.

AMD uses SOI, which is different from bulk silicon. They also use both high and low k materials on their chip. They aren't using hafnium yet, which is intels current transistor gate material on the 45nm note, but they do plan to use it at the 32nm node i believe.

G

Goodness...people should not be commenting on process tech. AMD plans two bulk Si processes - one with high K, one without high K. Look at the analyst day presentations for details, but I believe the non-highK version was going to be first with the high K shortly thereafter (in 2010). The SOI process which they use for CPU's will be high K only and will lag the bulk Si processes - AMD roadmaps had this toward the middle to end of 2010, and they have 32nm processors on their roadmap showing ~early 2011.

There is no such thing as Ge oxide for high K as it is does not a high dielectric constant ('k'), the poster is confusing the use of Ge for strain purposes (which Intel pioneered back on 90nm) and high K.

Also don't confuse 'Si running' with ready for production... to put things in perspective Intel has 22nm Si in their development fabs, but it is nowhere near ready for release.

Finally 28nm is a 'simple' optical shrink (what some refer to as a 'half-node'); this is not really a big deal from a performance perspective, but helps with cost. This typically is cranking down on litho a bit tighter while tuning some of the other process steps.

And it was not a matter of AMD 'not needing' high K for 45nm - it just wasn't ready in time, and it is not practical to implement this in the middle of a tech node due to the complexity and risk (despite AMD's claims that it 'was an option for later 45nm'). If AMD were able to implement it on 45nm they would have.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm wondering if a dualslot card could house 4gpus at 28nm or if they're still going to create too much heat....
imagine having 2 of such cards in a system. play a driving game with 5 gpu's handling realistic physics and the last 3 handling realistic graphics on an ordinary 22" screen! You'd end up with a driving simulator that hamilton could use!

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
with comment number 1, 22nm is probably the smallest we will see, and i agree. by the time we get to around 22nm tho, we will probably also have found something different. fiber optics maybe? I remember and German computer that was 10ghz made from fiber optics. It just wasnt perfected yet.
"NTT Japan has successfully tested a fiber optic cable...that pushes 14 trillion bits per second down a single strand of fiber." -Did you know 3.0 (youtube)

G

Globalfoundries (AMD) doing quality chips for nvidia which competes with ATI products (AMD). That's really clever.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
In a recent interview, Globalfoundries vice president of manufacturing systems and technology Tom Sonderman said that the company plans to make GPUs using 28nm processes in the near future.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]intel is going to s*it a brick. i smell more lawsuits.[/citation]
This is a type of bussiness that if you already have it, then you woudn't talk about it until release. So Intel probobly is far ahead of GF since they have about $2 Billion in RND/Year.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]In a recent interview, Globalfoundries vice president of manufacturing systems and technology Tom Sonderman said that the company plans to make GPUs using 28nm processes in the near future.[/citation]
What's that, 2010 or 2016? If I'm a 14yo then for me Near future is about 5 minutes, and if I'm 50 then it could be 10 years. That's aclever statement when you have nothing to release.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
AMD should concentrate in PCI/PCI-E cards capable of holding discarded processors and memory, so I can update to a new Phenom X6 with DDR3, and put my old Athlon X2 w/ DDR2 on a PCI slot, collecting X8 processors.

That would give Intel a serious run for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.