News AMD and NVIDIA GPU Prices Sadly Keep Rising in Europe

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Seriously, ethereum . . . get a move on, already! Move on to proof of stake!

On the other hand, hardware sites, when talking about GPUs, might be stuck with articles on how to tweak older architectures for best efficiency . . how to care for and prolong the life of aging GPUs, etc.

Reactions: Krotow and Sendrow

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
“On the other hand, hardware sites, when talking about GPUs, might be stuck with articles on how to tweak older architectures for best efficiency . . how to care for and prolong the life of aging GPUs, etc.”

Reasonable prediction. Lol. Games coming out in 2022 built on DX9 for the ‘latest >available< architecture’.

Seems to me that gamers will get corralled into cloud gaming, whether they like it or not. And there are certainly a lot of efficiency reasons for why that makes sense. But some people just want to own what they want to own.

Guess it’s all part of the the Great Reset... You will own nothing. And you will like it. https://www.weforum.org/great-reset/

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Welp, people keep buying and enabling the price increases... powerless to do anything but watch it all go down.

Seems to me that gamers will get corralled into cloud gaming, whether they like it or not.
That will be another big mistake, like when we went full digital copies. I do like that use of corralled.
It will take some time to even get there though, because the ISPs will need to revamp their infrastructures, and they're in no real rush to do that.
For some regions, the latency is unacceptable.

Seriously, ethereum . . . get a move on, already! Move on to proof of stake!
The people won't let it.

Reactions: Krotow

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
There are so many cryptocurrencies now that I don't think Ethereum's change will make any impact. The reality is a lasting worsening of the disparity between console gaming and PC gaming prices. Things aren't going to change until production capacity increases and AMD, Nvidia, and Intel are satisfied they won't be overproducing products. The new normal has been here all along.

Jim90

Distinguished
Sadly, that both AMD and Nvidia have completely and very deliberately failed to 'organise(!!)' products at mrsp pricing, and in very significant numbers, is going to be the death knell of very many new and long term PC gamers/enthusiasts. There's a lot of disgust out there, and no amount of pro-shareholder bullcrap will do anything but solidify that truth.

Oct 30, 2021
More people will switch to console thats all , Im just cirius who from big gaming companys leave PC scene first.

Makaveli

Splendid
Does Europe have anytime similar to Craigslist or kijiji.

I was able to find a reference 6800XT sealed in box for a good price. Trying to buy through retails stores are still a joke.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I read all the time(not just here) of gamers who are ponying up the scratch for a ridiculously overpriced GPU.
As long as the market will bear it, GPU manufacturers/retailers will never look back.
People blaming Ethereum and PoW, neither are going away for years yet, lets place a significant part of the blame on gamers who panic and cough up double the MSRP for a GPU.
Again, if I were to spend a lot of time gaming, I would have given up long ago, bought a PS4 and gamed my ass off as there are boatloads of AAA titles to play on it still.

Reactions: Jim90

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Consoles aren't even a MSRP option, unless you have a night job or live in parent's basement. I haven't been able to snag a PS5 or a XSX since release a year ago as I won't pay a scalper and my job won't allow me to camp out at Target/BB. The Xbox series S is easily available, but we don't want that already outdated on release system with tiny SSD.

adamcharles1972

Prominent
Nov 1, 2021
I feel like people are just going to use Stadia and other services for gaming if this keeps up. I mean I've built every computer I've had (except my old p.o.s. laptop that now runs Linux Mint) since 1998. This is the first time I may have to suck it up and buy a pre-built computer just to get a discrete graphics card. Or pay way too much for a card, which might make more sense to avoid having extra rigs with no discrete graphics lying around.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
It's not going to be over, as long as it's possible to monetize oodles of cheap computing power and as long as this general electronics shortage lasts, Etherium or not, the call of Mammon and all that.

At least mining is not so profitable that a significant portion of gaming laptop stocks are being diverted. Not anymore, not for now....I hope.

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
I find it interesting that the comments here have not mentioned that the DISTRIBUTORS as well as the video card makers are responsible for much of the GPU price increases, with AMD and NVIDIA not being responsible for the price increases.

Remember the order of things, AMD and NVIDIA make the GPUs, and then ship them to the video card makers who then make the video cards. At that point, the video card makers sell the completed video cards to the distributors who then transport and sell them around the world. The video card makers are not obligated to sell cards at any given price point, and the distributors are not being controlled or regulated by anyone. Normally, you might see the price from manufacturer to distributor being 30-40 percent below the expected selling price in the retail market, giving plenty of room for the distributor and retailers to make a profit before selling the product at MSRP.

So, what is the real MSRP for each model video card from the video card makers. Seriously, Asus, MSI, XFX, Sapphire, PowerColor, etc., they all make these video cards, but we have NO idea what THEY set the MSRP for for these cards. Without that, there can be no natural control. The reference designs from AMD and NVIDIA as well...vs. the pre-overclocked versions of cards with custom-designed cooling and such will have a different expected price. The closer the design is to the reference, the more you would expect the MSRP of that card would line up with MSRP from AMD/NVIDIA.

So, where is the accountability in the market, and why don't we have those regulators from the EU and USA cracking down on abuses by the distributors and shipping companies who are jacking the prices way way way beyond anything reasonable? Complaining about crypto or this or that when it is entirely because of the video card makers and distributors just shows how far off the mark people are about who is to blame.

Reactions: Krotow and King_V

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I find it interesting that the comments here have not mentioned that the DISTRIBUTORS as well as the video card makers are responsible for much of the GPU price increases, with AMD and NVIDIA not being responsible for the price increases.

Remember the order of things, AMD and NVIDIA make the GPUs, and then ship them to the video card makers who then make the video cards. At that point, the video card makers sell the completed video cards to the distributors who then transport and sell them around the world. The video card makers are not obligated to sell cards at any given price point, and the distributors are not being controlled or regulated by anyone. Normally, you might see the price from manufacturer to distributor being 30-40 percent below the expected selling price in the retail market, giving plenty of room for the distributor and retailers to make a profit before selling the product at MSRP.

So, what is the real MSRP for each model video card from the video card makers. Seriously, Asus, MSI, XFX, Sapphire, PowerColor, etc., they all make these video cards, but we have NO idea what THEY set the MSRP for for these cards. Without that, there can be no natural control. The reference designs from AMD and NVIDIA as well...vs. the pre-overclocked versions of cards with custom-designed cooling and such will have a different expected price. The closer the design is to the reference, the more you would expect the MSRP of that card would line up with MSRP from AMD/NVIDIA.

So, where is the accountability in the market, and why don't we have those regulators from the EU and USA cracking down on abuses by the distributors and shipping companies who are jacking the prices way way way beyond anything reasonable? Complaining about crypto or this or that when it is entirely because of the video card makers and distributors just shows how far off the mark people are about who is to blame.
Simple answer: GREED.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Consoles aren't even a MSRP option, unless you have a night job or live in parent's basement. I haven't been able to snag a PS5 or a XSX since release a year ago as I won't pay a scalper and my job won't allow me to camp out at Target/BB. The Xbox series S is easily available, but we don't want that already outdated on release system with tiny SSD.
Did you know you can sign up on Sony's website to buy a PS5 directly from them at MSRP? It's opt-in now instead of random. You just need a PSN account. If you have gaming activity on that account (own multiple games, have some trophies) then you get into the notification pool. Sony did the thing with PSN that I have been saying Nvidia and AMD need to do with Steam.

Watch out for UPS though. They charge a ransom to deliver or pickup PS5. Expect them to charge you $6 just to process your signature or let you pick it up from their depo. They'll record it as a hold fee -- which is total BS.

I got a PS5 after about a month of waiting. Meanwhile, EVGA 3080 queue from last year is still moving along at a glacial pace. We'll be on the 50-series before EVGA gets through all of their 3080 notifies from 2020. There is no hope for the GPU situation until Nvidia, AMD, and partners start selling through gamer marketplaces like Steam and Epic.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
We can keep blaming them only so much, but at the end of the day, people are still buying.
People keep buying, so they give the ok - enabling the other parties to keep this train going.

Oct 30, 2021
We can keep blaming them only so much, but at the end of the day, people are still buying.
People keep buying, so they give the ok - enabling the other parties to keep this train going.
But how many people buying , ofc there are ppl who dont care. Pc playerbase can be empty in end of 2022.