News AMD and Retailers Talk Ryzen 5000 Shortage: 'A Lot More Stock Soon'

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
I've received my Ryzen 5600x from newegg and already built my machine and ran benchmarks. It's performing exactly as advertised. Definitely not a paper launch as people have gotten them.

Reactions: sstanic

SiliconMage

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Guessing that any number of CPU's would have sold out the first day. From here in Canada the biggest difference I saw with this launch was that there wasn't many Online options to choose from. Newegg.ca had a very limited amount online, but the AMD Store (Canada) still doesn't list the 5000 in their store and Amazon.ca never had any in stock yet. MemoryExpress and others were taking backorders only in store which is an attempt to foil Bots I guess.

Let's see how long before more CPUs drop. I can live with back ordering something directly from a physical visit to a Store if the wait isn't terribly long. A regular supply would be awesome.

Oct 22, 2020
Let's see how long before more CPUs drop. I can live with back ordering something directly from a physical visit to a Store if the wait isn't terribly long. A regular supply would be awesome.

If you can afford to be patient B&H might be the best option. Substantially cheaper than any of the Canadian retailers I've come across and free shipping even cross-border.

I put myself on backorder lists/notification for any Canadian retailer I could on launch day for a 5900x, only place that would even hazard a guess at a timeline was ME who said maybe in two months... 'A lot more stock' doesn't specify which dies they have loads of stock for.

Last edited:

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
5600x seemed to have decent stock at Amazon as it was available for a little while during the launch window whereas the 5900x and 5950x were gone instantly.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
This is not a paper launch, this is not nvidia Ampere fiasco. America is not the whole world. When Ampere launched a lot of Europe had no stock... it is not the case at all now with Ryzen 5000.

I just checked again right now (just one store) and in my country there still is availability for 5600x, 5800x and 5950x. Only the 5900x is out of stock. So no, this is not a paper launch. And their prices are very close to MSRP, as close as possible for EU and a launch of a new product.

If AMD continues to supply in the coming weeks it will further confirm it is not a paper launch. Just because the demand is higher than their production/delivery capacity does not mean it's a paper launch.

Nightseer

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
I don't think this was paper launch. Paper launch means they release it almost without supply. What it doesn't mean is demand exceeding supply. With popular and highly anticipated products, there is no factory in the world that can produce enough to meet demand spike on day one. So shortages within first month are normal. And having to get supply for whole world is not easy. From what I heard, Europe got hit with lower supply than USA. Hence why it might in some places look more like paper launch. Though I guess we will see based on how much supply will come in oner month or two, paper launch is pretty much none, while normal launch means consistent spikes of availability, till early demand is met. Plus do keep in mind that due to pandemic demand is all time high and I dustry can't just flip a switch to adapt. Factories aren't built over night and orders have to be made way in advance, like 6-12 months in advance. And because production lines already are distributed, they can't come in month or two before release and ask for more, capacity is all sold out by that time. Just saying.

I don't think this was paper launch. Paper launch means they release it almost without supply. What it doesn't mean is demand exceeding supply. With popular and highly anticipated products, there is no factory in the world that can produce enough to meet demand spike on day one.
For a normal launch a company will build up as much stock as they think will sell within the first few days, this procedure would take several months in which they would stockpile units and send them all over the world so that they would be available everywhere in the amount that the company thinks will sell.
Just like santa, he has to make toys all year around and store them just to have enough of them for the release day.

Nobody does that anymore and they are just dumping the first, and every subsequent, shipment of units to the market as soon as they get them, nobody can afford, or wants, to keep units in storage for months having to wait to make money from them.

Victor_S

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
I was up at the crack of dawn all ready to get my 5900x from whoever had them in stock. Like an idiot, I did not realize that NewEgg, Amazon and BestBuy did NOT let you search for "5900x" I got no results from 9:00 AM to 9:10 until I realized they blocked site searches. Once I realized what was going on, I browsed to the "components/CPU/desktop/AMD" category in the drop down and saw all 4 of the new 5000 CPUS. Of course, the only one left in stock was the 5600x, so I ordered it for the time being. I'm actually quite impressed with it. When I get my hands on a 5900x, finally, I'll just eBay the 5600x I have now. I am sure I will at lest get the $300+shipping I paid for it. I'm going to set a "buy it now" price of $340 to cover tax and overnight shipping. Someone will be a happy eBayer whenever this happens!

I also want a 6800XT or 6900XT to go along with my new build, but, rumor has it they will be VERY limited so my hopes of getting one are not high. I refuse to pay scalper prices, even though I COULD afford to, I'm not supporting the "scam market".

Point is, it was definitely NOT a "paper launch". I didn't even add the 5600x I got to my cart until about 9:18 AM (EASTERN TIME). I'm sure if I was not stupid, and caught the "no search" deal I could have scored a 5900x. I am posting this message on my 5600x build....LOOK HOW FAST IT'S POSTING !!!! lol :p

Nightseer

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
For a normal launch a company will build up as much stock as they think will sell within the first few days, this procedure would take several months in which they would stockpile units and send them all over the world so that they would be available everywhere in the amount that the company thinks will sell.
Just like santa, he has to make toys all year around and store them just to have enough of them for the release day.

Nobody does that anymore and they are just dumping the first, and every subsequent, shipment of units to the market as soon as they get them, nobody can afford, or wants, to keep units in storage for months having to wait to make money from them.

That is normal, because they can't afford to make too much, since stopping fans or orders can easily result in you losing capacity as TSMC would just sell capacity to someone else. Plus stopping factories costs a ton more than not of shortage. Plus it us demand spike that happens just initially, so after a month, they wouldn't need half as much production capacity. Overbuying isn't free either. It us same reason why multiplayer games don't get excess servers for launch spike. Sinceonyh or two after they would have bunch just sitting around, costing maintenance and doing nothing. Plus they did that before too, the difference was that demand was so much lower and fear of missing out wasn't as huge thing, we used to just wait. Today you have people complaint like those stuff are food and water, necessities being held away.

That is normal, because they can't afford to make too much, since stopping fans or orders can easily result in you losing capacity as TSMC would just sell capacity to someone else. Plus stopping factories costs a ton more than not of shortage. Plus it us demand spike that happens just initially, so after a month, they wouldn't need half as much production capacity. Overbuying isn't free either.
I'm not talking about buying or producing more or less, I'm talking about building up enough supply with your normal amount of production exactly for that initial spike in demand.

I'm not talking about buying or producing more or less, I'm talking about building up enough supply with your normal amount of production exactly for that initial spike in demand.

Yeah those days seem over. I hear you it would make things smoother. They all used to get 2-3 months of stock built up then hard launch. Now they launch with 4-6 weeks of stock. I like the old days and it doesn't hurt sales you simply delay the profits a month to 6 weeks.

I think teh bots make the difference now, and will forever more.

My last two CPU purchases (A Xeon equivelent to a i7-6700 and an r7-3700X were both able to be purchased within a week of launch. although I got the Xeon because the i7-6700 was sold out

No chance of waiting to see reviews and still getting a cpu or gpu now. Its such that when people are asking for build help, I'm not bothering with AMD 5xxx CPUs or NVidia 3xxx or AMD 6xxx GPUs, but sticking with 3600/2600 and 2060/5xxx GPUs.,

I believe the future of all such launches is now: it just won't be available for 3-6 months after launch for a consumer not willing to pay price gouging premiums.

I think teh bots make the difference now, and will forever more.
The only reason bots are being used is because there are not enough units, if there were enough for everybody you could just order one for yourself or a dozen of them for scalping but nobody else would pay you any more then the normal price, that only works if the supply is super small and the drop of the next shipment is unknown.

Reactions: 2Be_or_Not2Be
I think there is a combination of contributing factors as well:

1) Mfgs somehow not pro-active/agile enough to produce a lot more new product, even though they have seen a lot more demand since March & should know new products will have a much bigger demand. Even if they over-produced initially (i.e. maybe 5-10 million), it's not like these processors won't be sold later. They had $1.37 billion in Q2 sales for AMD's Computing and Graphics segment, which was spurred mainly by Ryzen CPU revenue. Let's assume $1B was due to Ryzen (not all revenue was just Ryzen) with an avg selling price of $300 to account for pricing differences - that would mean they could have sold over 3M Ryzen CPUs in a quarter. If they overproduced before the launch with 5-10M 5000-series CPUs, all of the buyers would have been happy & any stock left over would still be sold in the next quarter.

Now I don't know if AMD could produce that many CPUS in the amount of time between final tape-out/qualification and product launch, but a higher launch inventory sure would have helped. It would also haves the side-effect of making scalping way less profitable.

2) Retailers are also not putting in more effort for a better customer experience - e.g., order queues, API filtering, better inventory display/mgmt, more active measures against bots, etc.

For the bots w/retailers, I guess they don't see the need to put as much effort for new launches as there is only limited stock anyway. Money spent on infrastructure and website design is money taken away from their profits, and probably some feel it's not worth it for a few new product launches. But man, it sure makes for a bad customer experience.

caseym54

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I truly hope that AMD did ship "tons of units" and that the scalpers bought them all and are finding themselves unable to move their investment.

caseym54

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I've received my Ryzen 5600x from newegg and already built my machine and ran benchmarks. It's performing exactly as advertised. Definitely not a paper launch as people have gotten them.

I could have bought on on launch day, but that wasn't the chip I was building around. If I was going to settle for a 5600x, I could get a 3900xt today.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
1) Mfgs somehow not pro-active/agile enough to produce a lot more new product, even though they have seen a lot more demand since March & should know new products will have a much bigger demand. Even if they over-produced initially (i.e. maybe 5-10 million), it's not like these processors won't be sold later. They had $1.37 billion in Q2 sales for AMD's Computing and Graphics segment, which was spurred mainly by Ryzen CPU revenue. Let's assume $1B was due to Ryzen (not all revenue was just Ryzen) with an avg selling price of $300 to account for pricing differences - that would mean they could have sold over 3M Ryzen CPUs in a quarter. If they overproduced before the launch with 5-10M 5000-series CPUs, all of the buyers would have been happy & any stock left over would still be sold in the next quarter.

Now I don't know if AMD could produce that many CPUS in the amount of time between final tape-out/qualification and product launch, but a higher launch inventory sure would have helped. It would also haves the side-effect of making scalping way less profitable.
In all likelihood 7nm fab capacity is the limiting factor here, in which case there is nothing AMD can do to produce CPUs faster.

With regard to waiting to launch until they have a bigger stockpile, I don't see much incentive for AMD (or anyone to do this). The only consequence of launching earlier is they may end up with a relatively tiny portion of customers upset that they can't get their toys as soon as they'd like and/or at the price they'd like. The consequence of delaying the launch is delaying millions of $ in revenue (and without an accompanying delay in costs).

Nov 10, 2020
If you can afford to be patient B&H might be the best option. Substantially cheaper than any of the Canadian retailers I've come across and free shipping even cross-border.

I put myself on backorder lists/notification for any Canadian retailer I could on launch day for a 5900x, only place that would even hazard a guess at a timeline was ME who said maybe in two months... 'A lot more stock' doesn't specify which dies they have loads of stock for.

I just got an email from them for my 5950x which I ordered a few mins after launch. Because I'm overseas, they charged me the $824 incl shipping. (Apparently I had no idea about the pre order ability since I followed a 3rd party link to them). So, the kind customer service rep said 1st quarter 2021 (January - March) and they will try to update me on my status early December. Awesome! My x570, psu and what not are sitting now and hopefully I don't have to RMA anything.

At least I have a 7700k in the mean time, but I don't look forward to the 6800xt/6900xt if the same thing will happen and will have to wait until March. I'm already waiting since August on Hp Reverb G2 preorder from Amazon Spain.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
paper launch. every single time more stock comes online, the bots snag them up for the scalpers and even the 5600x goes back to out of stock or back ordered within a minute at 4am in the morning. how neat. only place you can buy one is on ebay for $450+ via scalpers. Might return my B550 motherboard and just go with a i5 10600k. this is a lame duck joke at this point.

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
Lord all people here commenting look if ANYONE bothered to click on the link? I tell you a secret....USA isn't the world :D

UK is one of the largest market in Europe, same for Germany, if the largest UK retailer currently is expecting in over 2 weeks 30.... I repeat it 30 CPUs clearly not only is a paper launch but AMD proved that despite this one time in decades and decades they nailed a series for highest end, yet they still are a cheap company. Also weeks prior to this week SCAN UK had 0 CPUs delivered except some lower tier if memory serves me well, again for one of Europe largest market. We understand is as bad in Germany, one of the world strongest economies, I can assume is the same in other places around the globe.

I am too looking to move to AMD, despite my CPU really be top notch but I do other stuff with my PC including A LOT of 3D, but then again with AMD behaviours one start pondering want to hold of until January and see what Rocket Lake is like, they really need to work on their branding, their marketing person is a jerk, mocking people when then retailers put number clear (that includes Overclockers UK, second largest retailer) when they presented a new GPU in a "game" that is questionable really.

So yes it is a paper launch done and dusted, worst so as at least Nvidia has admitted it eventually, AMD still blathering nonsense that they have millions coming, they proved with pricing that giving them the options they would be the worst evil of the lot :) they sound like some sort of telemarketing company trying to sell you an encyclopaedia.

BOTS are not the main issue, many store now verify things manually, it was an issue for 30xx initially not surely for AMD.... again we can easily see how many units store received, no point in calling in some scripts now that procedures have changed...

Last edited: