AMD and Win2k Incompatibility

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have Win2000 Pro in both of my systems A7V w/ TB700@850MHz and KT7-RAID w/ TB 700@850MHz and not having any problem. This is the first time I'm aware that AMD has a patch for Win2000.
A7V rev. 1005D
KT7-Raid rev. UL

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Greg:

Apology accepted. I was just trying to tell you that buying a new mobo wouldn't solve the problem and I wanted to lay-out the currently available alternatives, as I see them.

Some "AMD friends" of mine are also experiencing Win2K related problems. Consistent with pvsurfer's comments they have told me that they don't see a heck of a lot of difference after updating drivers/bios and are anxiously awaiting the release of Service Pack 2.

Good luck!

G

Ok some improvement, I:

1. flashed the latest bios 1005c (where did you get D?)
2. reset bios to defaults per bios install instructions
3. Set IRQ 5 as reserved legacy (faq on asus site for sblive cards)

The first time I ran 3dmark2000 it exited to desktop after a few tests but after a reboot I got it to run all the way through. My 3dmark scores are up to 2800 from 2200, not quite up to the 7000+ of winME but a bit better.

Ug.

Greg

G

IT WORKS! I came across something on www.geforcefaq.com that said the setup program for the via drivers may not actually update the drivers in win2k so I went in manually and updated the cpu to agp driver in the device manager.

7100 3dmark score !! Wohooo!

Greg

G

Im a little bit at a loss as to why you would be running Win2k on a gaming machine anyway, it wasent designed for running games, its a business os and good for graphics and animation programmes, as you yourself said, the 3D scores are 1/2 that of Winme or probably even 98, So why not just run those o/s, or create a dual boot sys, If you need Win2k

G

I'm one of those unusual people that uses the same PC for work and games and don't like to reboot everytime I switch tasks.

Greg

G

Also some of my 3d modelling software runs only under windows 2000 and it would really be a pain to model something and then have to reboot to actually view it in 3d.

Greg

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Greg:
Sounds like really good news! However, I'm confused as to which updates/changes finally did the trick. Would you please relate the specific step-by-step changes that led to the overall improvement?
Thanks, pvsurfer

G

I use games to burn in gaming AND business systems. A recent PIII800/Win2kPRO system (last weekend) runs games faster and easier (load/config/run) than ANY previous Windows. Forsaken even runs ! That's an old game that I thought would never survive the 'no DOS-legacy support' disclaimer.

In a word... "Wintel"

A tragic fact of simplicity, speed, and compatibility (without patches).

Not as fast, but fast enough and running with no glitches.. today !

G

Ok thats cool, I know what its like having to render then change o/s, I did that myself for a while, but I dont get much chance to run games anymore, so Im not concerned about playing them, I ve got a p3 that I run AOE and similar stuff on

G

pvsurfer:

-default install with all drivers updated resulted in winME running perfectly winmark score 7100, but winmark score of 2200 and the computer hanging in win2k when agp mode set to optimal (4x)

-installed asus bios 1005c, computer no longer crashes in win2k when set to optimal, winmark score 2800

-installed microsoft hotfix from http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q261/6/06.asp

-installed via 4 in 1 drivers v4.25a from http://www.cyrix.com/drivers/index.htm

-**NOTE** running the setup program for these drivers did not work for me, I had to go into my device manager and click on the "CPU to AGP" system device, select update driver, then browse into the expanded 4 in 1 driver files into the windows 2000 / agp directory.

- winmark score 7100

Greg

G

To be clearer: the 4 in 1 drivers said they installed ok when I ran the setup but they actually did not update the drivers at all until I installed them as described.