AMD Announces $55 Athlon 200GE With Vega Graphics, Second-Gen Ryzen Pro CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoerenHedemand

Reputable
May 27, 2015
I've built passively cooled systems based on Ryzen 5 2400G in Streacom FC8 Alpha Chassis. They run a little hotter than I normally like, but they are rock solid.

SoerenHedemand:
being passive with single slow fan that will help a bit is not much louder than my neighbour snoring though the wall. It's not 100% passive, but virtually I could not hear its running.

Noctua NF-A20 PWM 200mm x 30mm PWM 4-pin Fan
From 59.3 CFM, 10.7 dBA at 550 RPM

still I want piko sized PC with this.

bloodroses

Distinguished
While it's nice that AMD released something into that price market, it sounds like it will be a chip that doesn't do any one thing good enough to really be that viable vs other options. The locked multiplier/low clock speed does definitely hurt it and the minimal number of CUs will barely scrape by for lower res/graphic gaming. I'm guessing they're relying on the low TDP to be their selling point. Until actual benchmarks come in, I can't say for sure.

Comparing/benchmarking this to chips like the Celeron G4900T, Pentium 5400/5500T, and other 'T' series chips should be considered along with the G5400/G5600 listed.

I don't think anyone would consider this for modern gaming, it's a 35w chip. I would use a 2200G 65w chip for only $45 more if you're doing light gaming.

As a 35w chip, I could see this being used for NAS server, Plex Server, Surveillance Server, HTPC, Kiosk CPU, or light commercial workstation. Basically any computer you want to keep on 24/7 but don't want it to use alot of electricity. Also for AIO PC Monitors for web browsing and microsoft office. This chip looks comparable to my core i5 4570T which I use as a Plex server which can CPU transcode 2 1080p streams simultaneously. iGPU transcoding looks aweful at low bitrates before anyone says get an intel chip.

This chip wouldn't be bad to build a mini-ITX HTPC/Plex server.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I see this only as a low power CPU. If power and heat are not a problem, the G5400 should be much faster for not much more money. GPU must be benchmarked, but probably not that much better.

Hopefully the other Athlons up the clocks for little money, and then become competitive.

bloodroses

Distinguished

The main reason why I had mentioned about gaming was due to the article saying this can be used for 720p esports according to AMD. I can't imagine anyone considering this chip for gaming either.

As with the iGPU transcoding, that would be an interesting test between the AMD and Intel chips as it would be a good selling point in that regard.

With the i5 4570T, it does have the advantage of turbo boost frequency (up to 3.6ghz); something the 200GE, 5400T, and 5500T doesn't have.

I'm not saying that it'd be bad for a NAS/HTPC/Plex server. It just seems there are better options out there already; and at 35w.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
D

Deleted member 2449095

"AMD claims the processors lag behind the Pentium G4560 by roughly 3 percent during CPU workloads, but offer up to 67% more GPU performance."

This is a nice change from PR mumbo-jumbo. Honesty really strikes my sweet spot and sways me towards buying AMD CPU/APU in the future.

AMD is simply highlighting how the integrated graphics capabilities are still better than Intel's chips. Something like a G5400 might be slightly faster on the CPU-side, but it is still worse in terms of graphics performance, and that's important in a low-end system that's not going to have a dedicated graphics card. In what way is this processor not "viable vs other options"? We are talking about a $55 processor here. Keep in mind that the G5400 is currently being sold for closer to $75 at major online retailers.

If someone is really concerned about serious gaming performance with a dedicated card, then they are probably also better off moving up to at least a quad-core processor like the Ryzen 2200G or i3-8100. You could just as easily argue that Intel's competing dual-core processors don't "do any one thing good enough" as they are undoubtedly all in a roughly similar performance range. As for the relatively low clock rate, this is the lowest-end model, and as the article points out, it will soon be joined by two other, better performing chips, which will likely be dual-cores with higher clock rates and more graphics cores enabled. It's very likely that those could match or exceed the CPU performance of Intel's similarly-priced chips, while also offering better graphics performance.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Uhhh, I think Tom's Hardware has a different definition of "much faster" than I do with regards to the performance difference between a G4560 and G5400 - the only difference CPU-wise between the two is 1MB extra L3 cache and a 200MHz increase.

I'm guessing you undervolted and/or delidded your 2400G?

I mean, I have a hard enough time keeping my lidded 55w TDP Pentium G3258 passively cooled even when undervolted at stock clocks and using what I believe is the precursor to the hyper 212 CPU cooler (for passive use I usually keep it underclocked slightly to 2.9GHz which then allows me to undervolt it significantly more and keep temps always under 70c even under load).

Sky/Kaby/Coffeelake-based Celerons are 2core/2thread, and these new Zen-based Athlons are obviously 2core/4thread much like Kaby/Coffeelake-based Pentiums are and pre-Coffeelake i3s were.

Additionally, Sky/Kaby/Coffeelake-based Celerons have less L3 cache than Sky/Kaby/Coffeelake-based Pentiums while Sky/Kaby/Coffeelake-based Pentiums themselves have less L3 cache than (most) Sky/Kaby/Coffeelake-based i3s, yeteven this lowest-tier Zen-based Athlon has the same 4MB of L3 cache as the Ryzen 2400G let alone the Ryzen 2200G.

PaulAlcorn

Editor
Feb 24, 2015
Uhhh, I think Tom's Hardware has a different definition of "much faster" than I do with regards to the performance difference between a G4560 and G5400 - the only difference CPU-wise between the two is 1MB extra L3 cache and a 200MHz increase.

That statement is made with the idea that you pay literally the same price for the new model. Here are two articles with direct testing comparisons between the two, I think most would agree that is a nice bump in performance for..basically nothing (provided you are choosing between buying a new or older model)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-pentium-gold-g5600-g5400-cpu,5679.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cheap-cpus,5668.html

Maybe in terms of MSRP, but in terms of real-world pricing, the G5400 currently tends to cost more at online retailers...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8gKhP6/intel-pentium-g4560-35ghz-dual-core-processor-bx80677g4560
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PvqhP6/intel-pentium-gold-g5400-37ghz-dual-core-processor-bx80684g5400

The prices for those two Pentiums are currently $60 vs $75 at B&H, for example. That works out to a 25% higher cost for around 5-10% more CPU performance, and virtually identical graphics performance. At this time, the G4560 is priced closer to what AMD intends to sell their processor for. As for the current generation of Intel CPUs, the Athlon 200GE is actually set to be priced closer to the Celeron G4920, which lacks SMT and is clocked lower than those Pentiums.

stdragon

Admirable

I fault AMD for lack of clarification on that subject. They rarely confirm or deny the existence of ECC in any of their products apparently. There ought to be a feature matrix comparing their CPU lineup.

This link below is a bit out of date, but already there are MBs from ASUS and ASRock that support ECC DIMMS, but some have reported that ECC functionality isn't enabled. Basically, you can use the RAM as though you had extra laying around, but serves no function.

Basically, AMD ECC support is entirely dependent on the MB and BIOS options to enable it. And of course, there are some Ryzens SKUs that don't support ECC, so be careful of that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/comment/def6vs2/

PaulAlcorn

Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Fair point. Prices for Intel's 14nm processors are rising, as we covered in this recent article --

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/14nm-processor-intel-shortage-9000-series,37746.html

P1nky

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Thank you for the clarification, Paul.

need4speeds

Distinguished
2 cores with 4 threads that you can overclock on the stock cooler.
"The Athlon 200GE comes with a locked multiplier, making it the only non-overclockable Zen-based model in AMD's fleet."

Well there goes my bright idea... And it was starting to look like a good cpu to pair with a on sale RX570. 4.0+ mhz on the stock cooler would have been cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.