AMD Announces Beefy W9100 Workstation Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronmc

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
That's double the FP64 of the W9000 and nearly quadruple the FP64 of the 290X. I hope they don't price this in the sky, because I'm already checking my bank account.

Coolant

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
That's double the FP64 of the W9000 and nearly quadruple the FP64 of the 290X. I hope they don't price this in the sky, because I'm already checking my bank account.
How does it fare against the quadro K6000 in FP64 performance, noob here

aaronmc

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

The K6000 was the old FP64 record holder with only a 2/3 reduction in performance from its FP32 performance. Its FP32 was about 5.2 TFLOPS, thus giving it FP64 performance of about 1.7 TFLOPS.

With those numbers, that means AMD has managed a performance drop of only 1/2. That's amazing.

Slatteew

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Not interested I want a $3K non pro card like that groovy Titan-Z.__OTOH doesn't that fan look similar to the noisy R9 stock fan?
Um..............Titan Z IS a pro card, that just so happens to be good for gaming too. But MEANT for both. More or less game developers.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
These workstation cards are used for one primary purpose. To render triangles in real time for CAD programs. There are two versions of AMD workstation cards like NVidia. First is the FirePro for CAD programs, the second is the FireStream for GPGPU. All professional cards will perform about 5~10% slower in games than their consumer grade counterparts.

Not interested I want a $3K non pro card like that groovy Titan-Z.__OTOH doesn't that fan look similar to the noisy R9 stock fan?
Um..............Titan Z IS a pro card, that just so happens to be good for gaming too. But MEANT for both. More or less game developers.
titan z has existed as a workstation card for a long time, since the release of the kepler hardware.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Yes, but at the same time they are significantly faster.
Since when? Workstation cards are often slower than consumer cards because they're usually a generation behind chip-wise, because they need to get more aggressively binned (production tested) parts in order to live up to the 24/7 workloads they're intended for. Otherwise performance-wise the main difference with workstation cards is more memory, and various unique features and optimisations for professional applications.I just hope that this time round AMD has finally implemented true hardware RAID, rather than the performance and memory hungry hack the current Tahiti Fire Pros have. Also, I can't wait for these to surface in a new Mac Pro; I decided against the first generation due to various technical issues relating to the single socket (USB 3 bandwidth is pathetic on the cylinder Mac Pros).

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I think it's probably just a r9 290x with a decent warranty, very extensive customer support, and optimized drivers.That's usually why you pay a premium for workstation GPUs.

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Workstation cards are definitely slower than their normal counterparts outside the programs they are specifically designed for (CAD, etc). One of the reasons is that they have much higher precision in their math; I.E. a normal video card may figure the value of PI out to say 20 decimal places whereas the workstation would go out to 200. That in itself is quite a bit of overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.