News AMD Announces Keynote Dates for Zen 3 and Big Navi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2020
Nah, I refuse to believe that the consoles have anything near 2080 Ti performance. Doing the math states it's not possible.

October 28th announcement for big Navi. If they announce a release date past October 28th, they might as well throw away a couple million in sales. 2 months wait time is a hell of a wait after NVIDIA 30 series release info. People will get an itchy finger as backlog orders for new GPU's will be high. (I predict)

I want to wait to see what Big Navi can do. If it gets close to [EDIT]3080[/EDIT] I'm sold if the price is right. But let's say I wait, and it's a disappointment. Then I'll likely have to wait 2+ months to get my hands on a NVIDIA 30 series PAST October 28th because supply will be tight. That's a 4+ month wait time and that's actually asking a lot of gamers who are shopping.

It leaves me perplexed as first silicon was available in March? What is AMD thinking with this long delay? AMD seems reactive more than proactive on these issues. The same thing happened with the RX480. The NVIDIA 10 series gained a lot of ground during that delay time.

Last edited:
If they announce a release date past October 28th, they might as well throw away a couple million in sales.
From the sound of it, RTX 30-series cards will likely be in extremely short supply for months following their launch. So, most of those hoping to get a 30-series card within the next few months without paying a massive markup to resellers probably won't be able to. So, AMD probably isn't too concerned about losing sales due to their cards coming a mere month or two later. This also gives them the ability to gauge reception and availability of the 3070 and 3080 prior to determining final prices. With the RX 5000 series, they had to make a number of last-minute changes to pricing and performance due to Nvidia countering them with their SUPER cards, and they probably don't want a repeat of that. And even if RDNA2 cards might have potentially been first going into production months ago, AMD may not have been able to manufacture them at full capacity right away due to limited 7nm production, and their need to dedicate much of that to millions of console chips and CPUs.

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
October 28th announcement for big Navi. If they announce a release date past October 28th, they might as well throw away a couple million in sales. 2 months wait time is a hell of a wait after NVIDIA 30 series release info. People will get an itchy finger as backlog orders for new GPU's will be high. (I predict)

I want to wait to see what Big Navi can do. If it gets close to 2080 I'm sold if the price is right. But let's say I wait, and it's a disappointment. Then I'll likely have to wait 2+ months to get my hands on a NVIDIA 30 series PAST October 28th because supply will be tight. That's a 4+ month wait time and that's actually asking a lot of gamers who are shopping.

It leaves me perplexed as first silicon was available in March? What is AMD thinking with this long delay? AMD seems reactive more than proactive on these issues. The same thing happened with the RX480. The NVIDIA 10 series gained a lot of ground during that delay time.
Did you mean 3080 or 2080? because 2080 is really disappointing.
RDNA 1 is more or less perf per watt like rtx 2000. I actually think more in the level of rtx 3080 with their 50% claims from their last slideshow.

I want to wait to see what Big Navi can do. If it gets close to [EDIT]3080[/EDIT] I'm sold if the price is right. But let's say I wait, and it's a disappointment. Then I'll likely have to wait 2+ months to get my hands on a NVIDIA 30 series PAST October 28th because supply will be tight. That's a 4+ month wait time and that's actually asking a lot of gamers who are shopping.

I have a feeling they were waiting to get the largest Navi 21 done. I bet that even as of October 28th we wont be seeing the biggest Navi just the 3070-3080 competitor. At least that is what the rumor mill is hinting towards.

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
Here is a proper ranking of the several manufacturing nodes based on half-pitch scaling of an equivalent (in transistor density) planar transistor node.
15. 32nm Intel
14. 28nm TSMC / 28nm UMC / 28nm Samsung/GlobalFoundries/IMB
13. 22nm Intel /22nm IBM
12. 20nm TSMC /20nm Samsung/20nm Intel (marketed as “22FFL)
11. 18nm TSMC (marketed as “16nm”) / 18nm Samsung/GF (marketed as “14nm”)
10. 17nm GF (marketed as “12nm” (12LP) by GF)
09. 16nm TSMC (marketed as “12nm” (12FFC) by TSMC)
08. 14nm Intel / 14nm Samsung (marketed as “10nm” by Samsung)
07. 13nm Samsung (marketed as “8nm” by Samsung)
06. 10nm TSMC (marketed as “7nm” (N7/N7P))/ 10nm Samsung (marketed as “7nm”)
05. 9nm Intel (marketed as “10nm”)/ 9nm TSMC (marketed as 7nm (N7+))
04. 6.7nm TSMC (marketed as “5nm”)
03. 6.4nm Intel (marketed as “7nm”)
02. 5nm TSMC (marketed as “3nm”)
01. 4.5nm Intel (marketed as “5nm”)

Samsung’s 8nm process is actually 13nm. TSMC’s 7nm process is 10nm. In any case AMD using TSMC's "7nm" has a near full node advantage against NVidia. But like versus Intel it won’t mean much other than probably power efficiency. The RX 6700XT Vs RTX 3080 battle will be similar to Ryzen 3900X versus Intel 10980XE and clocking both at 4.4GHz. The RTX 3080 will win by around 28-30%.

For the cpu side, AMD fanboys always crack me up with their hypocrisy and double standard. So they are excited for what exactly? I remember when they were also excited for 2nd gen Ryzen– which was like going from Skylake 6700K to Kabylake 7700K (which they chastised Intel for lack of innovation and referred to as “grass growing”). Now going from 3rd gen to 4th gen Ryzen is as “exciting” as moving from an Ivybridge 3770K to Haswell 4790K (funny how the names will also be in the same thousands). When it is AMD doing it is always “different” (that’s what fanboys will pop up to tell you) and of course the best thing ever...Pathetic

They've been pretty good the last 4 or 5 years, at least for all the games I've played.
There were a pretty big chunk of people that had issues with crashing and random black-screening in the beginning of this year, it even happened to me one time right after I finished my build in February. They've been fixed since then though, and I've been very happy with how my 5700 has been performing since then!

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Here is a proper ranking of the several manufacturing nodes based on half-pitch scaling of an equivalent (in transistor density) planar transistor node.
15. 32nm Intel
14. 28nm TSMC / 28nm UMC / 28nm Samsung/GlobalFoundries/IMB
13. 22nm Intel /22nm IBM
12. 20nm TSMC /20nm Samsung/20nm Intel (marketed as “22FFL)
11. 18nm TSMC (marketed as “16nm”) / 18nm Samsung/GF (marketed as “14nm”)
10. 17nm GF (marketed as “12nm” (12LP) by GF)
09. 16nm TSMC (marketed as “12nm” (12FFC) by TSMC)
08. 14nm Intel / 14nm Samsung (marketed as “10nm” by Samsung)
07. 13nm Samsung (marketed as “8nm” by Samsung)
06. 10nm TSMC (marketed as “7nm” (N7/N7P))/ 10nm Samsung (marketed as “7nm”)
05. 9nm Intel (marketed as “10nm”)/ 9nm TSMC (marketed as 7nm (N7+))
04. 6.7nm TSMC (marketed as “5nm”)
03. 6.4nm Intel (marketed as “7nm”)
02. 5nm TSMC (marketed as “3nm”)
01. 4.5nm Intel (marketed as “5nm”)

Samsung’s 8nm process is actually 13nm. TSMC’s 7nm process is 10nm. In any case AMD using TSMC's "7nm" has a near full node advantage against NVidia. But like versus Intel it won’t mean much other than probably power efficiency. The RX 6700XT Vs RTX 3080 battle will be similar to Ryzen 3900X versus Intel 10980XE and clocking both at 4.4GHz. The RTX 3080 will win by around 28-30%.

For the cpu side, AMD fanboys always crack me up with their hypocrisy and double standard. So they are excited for what exactly? I remember when they were also excited for 2nd gen Ryzen– which was like going from Skylake 6700K to Kabylake 7700K (which they chastised Intel for lack of innovation and referred to as “grass growing”). Now going from 3rd gen to 4th gen Ryzen is as “exciting” as moving from an Ivybridge 3770K to Haswell 4790K (funny how the names will also be in the same thousands). When it is AMD doing it is always “different” (that’s what fanboys will pop up to tell you) and of course the best thing ever...Pathetic
First thing first... You owe me an apology from the Tiger Lake Thread.
Where is it ? Are you still writing it down?
Second 3770k to 4790k did not offer 15-20% IPC gain like the rumors talk about from Zen 2 to Zen 3.
More like 0.00000001% IPC gain from 3770k to 4790k.
You already have rtx 3080 and big navi numbers? please share it with us I would really love to see them. I am waiting for review please cut down the waiting time for all of us.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
i don't really need a new gpu, only No Man Sky VR is giving me performance issues. And i play in eyefinity 5760x1200, no problem for all games on my RX5700xt.

But 28 october ? would feel like an eternity if i were on the market for a new GPU. by that time Nvidia cards would aready be available.

Maybe AMD could earn time with a earlier paper launch and send the first cards to reviewers. if the product is good, that is.

Last edited:

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
The RX 6700XT Vs RTX 3080 battle will be similar to Ryzen 3900X versus Intel 10980XE and clocking both at 4.4GHz. The RTX 3080 will win by around 28-30%.

[/QUOTE]
Please don't. PLEASE. Okay fine. If the RX 6700XT vs RTX 3080 battle goes down how the Ryzen 3900X versus Intel 10980XE did, well then the RX 6700XT is the winner 100%. That would make the 6700 XT $350, lower wattage requirement, performance basically the same.

PS. Not hating on Nvidia, not hating on Intel, not hating on AMD. I'm not saying that IS how the RX 6700 XT vs RTX 3080 will go down, but that if you say it goes down the same way as Ryzen 3900X versus Intel 10980XE, then the RX 6700 XT will dominate.

Somebody is salty.

Back then a generational improvement meant maybe a 3% to 5% improvement in IPC for the CPU. It was a yawn fest at best. Intel got LAZY.

Back then AMD was delivering superior value and more cores for the same buck compared to intel. The 2000 series solved a lot of problems with memory controllers, and gave a small performance boost (~7-8%) for similar price points. So yes, that's a big reason to celebrate because you were still getting better bang for your buck. That's something you can't deny.

Competition is a good thing.

And transistor density isn't everything. As Intel's 10nm shows, you can have really small transistors and absolutely horrid performance clock wise and yield wise.

Zen 3 will likely put AMD toe to toe, or better versus intel on just about all desktop parts under all performance metric categories including gaming. (With a few rare exceptions towards the bottom end of the product stack.)

I'm not anti intel. I'm pro consumer. Competition is a good thing.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I think it's easy to imagine console gpus being comparable to top end nVidia Gpus. I think it's important to remember, AMDs issues in the desktop market are not with architecture design, drivers, or lack of compute power. In fact they excel over nVidia in this capacity. It's with developer support on popular engines and with games that are benchmarked. No amount of tflops can overcome a shader calling the cpu 1000 times a frame instead of the gpu.
Since AMD only has 10% the marketable base as nVidia, they pretty much needs staff at Epic and Unity to make up for graphics support difference.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Regarding their new GPU ,

50% per watt improvement means their 225watts card will be 15 Tflops .. they will need 450watts to reach RTX 3080 30 Tflops ...

I dont Think That AMD will win anything , The only thing I can see coming is RTX 3070 performance AMD flagship running at 330 watts.

TheHughMan

Prominent
May 15, 2020
The (insert name) Killer product threat is less than a bad meme this point forward. Except that Nvidia made good on being a Nvidia Killer by literally killing it's RTX 2000 class with the RTX 3000 class which AMD is very reluctant, barely even a Nvidia lagger now but AMD knew Nvidia just ain't no Intel pushover now.

I've been waiting a LONG time to upgrade from my ol' FX8350 and the time is finally right. I do sincerely hope that AMD is able to make a good uplift against what turned out to be a great Zen 2/3000 series batch of CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.