AMD Announces Low-power G-Series APUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
"You likely won't be running these at home in your own personal rig, but there's now a better chance that you'll run into AMD's new Fusion chips out the real world"

My home is not real enough?

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Kudos to AMD for their progressions this year. I have a good feeling you'll be seeing some fun competition coming out soon with AMD and Intel. Nvidia? Well, not sure where they'll be standing soon, as AMD's Fusion is looking like a better deal for the console markets, as well as (stated in the article) the "real world." Maybe they'll pick up VIA to grab an X86 license and jump into the fray with the big boys. Not like Intel isn't trying to do that with Radeon and Nvidia and failing terribly, so, why not jump the other way round? I'd love to see a good three-way battle going on both fronts. Prices for decent hardware would see a nice decrease (probably only 10-20%, but, that adds up fast) and performance would increase quicker. One faltering wouldn't mean less competition for that round of releases, it would just mean they get to progress that much more to keep up. Anyways, enough wishful thinking for now. BD comes out soon, and I have a feeling our wait will not be in vein :)

G

Do these APUs have the same 1080p decoding and audio bitstreaming capabilities as the E-350? If so, then they might be an excellent choice for a media streamer. Imagine XBMC on a cheap set-top box that only uses 5-7 watts.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]Phones require sub-watt operation, don't they?[/citation]
Yeah, the iphone 4 has a 5.25watt-hour battery and lasts at least 6 hours surfing the web. So with the entire 'system' on it draws less than 1 watt most of the time.

uniquegamer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
AMD A series quadcore APU and FX series octacore CPU price has been revealed . A series APU costs ranges from $110 to $170 and FX series CPU is $320 (same as i7-2600k)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Josh G[/nom]Do these APUs have the same 1080p decoding and audio bitstreaming capabilities as the E-350? If so, then they might be an excellent choice for a media streamer. Imagine XBMC on a cheap set-top box that only uses 5-7 watts.[/citation]

id love a pc to stream video, problem is that i used xbox and ps3 to do it currently, and both refuse to play everything i throw at it... hell even the majority of it.

for this to work good for a streaming box it has to play every format, from ones are popular, to the un popular and run the shells that the videos get put in to too, like mkv.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]id love a pc to stream video, problem is that i used xbox and ps3 to do it currently, and both refuse to play everything i throw at it... hell even the majority of it. for this to work good for a streaming box it has to play every format, from ones are popular, to the un popular and run the shells that the videos get put in to too, like mkv.[/citation]These aren't really intended to be on the decoding side. They'd be great for feeding the video over the network (or other NAS purposes), firewall/routing, etc. But they may not have the punch to handle all HD videos.

Just build a cheap low-power box and run a full-blown OS (Win7 or a Linux distro), and put a good media frontend on it. Even an E-350 should be able to do it, provided that the player you're using has support for hardware acceleration via the APU's GPU.

Heck, if you wait for Llano, not only will there be fairly low-power variants (not as low as E-350 but still pretty low), but it'll have more than enough horsepower to handle ANY video you through at it.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]f34rtfrds[/nom]can it run Crysis1?[/citation]
I hope you don't get thumbed down. It's Tom's Hardware meme the Crysis joke, even if some don't like it.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I dont get why they are making low power cpu with direct 11 capable i mean only game worth playing dx11 is that game recommend at least gtx 480+ of power if you want a good visual experience. Those kind of cpu are interesting in low power use like laptop or nas.

hannibal

Distinguished
DX11 allows some nice graphic trics allso outside of gaming environment. Because there are so few DX11 capable systems out, most DX11 "hype" is around games, because so many gamers allready have DX11 card. But the rest of the computer world live somewhere dx8-dx9 level many years to come.

So small embedded DX11 platform can actually be guite nice and usefull compared to other alternatives that are on the market.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]I dont get why they are making low power cpu with direct 11 capable i mean only game worth playing dx11 is that game recommend at least gtx 480+ of power if you want a good visual experience. Those kind of cpu are interesting in low power use like laptop or nas.[/citation]
DX11 does not only focus on graphics, but also enhances multi-threading functions, and improved multi-media. So I guess the reason why it has, evnethough you do not use it for games, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.