AMD Announces OEM Radeon 300-Series Specifications And Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I'd love to see Samsung buy out AMD, pour more money into desktop CPUs and GPUs, combine mobile chips units.

Imagine buying a CPU, GPU and SSD from one manufacturer and they are all optimized to work together.

I remember when the R9 285 came out, a lot of reviewer-sites were taking a look at the PCB, and noting that there was room for two more GB of VRAM. Some even went as far as to speculate about the distance the power plugs had allowed for future soon-to-be variants, like hopefully an R9 285X. Sapphire's R9 285 manual even mentioned an R9 285X, although that may have been a typo. So, seeing the R9 380 with "up to 4gb of RAM" isn't surprising, especially considering the lack-luster release of the R9 285. Almost all variants from the vendors used the same components (Elpida RAM, same VRM chip), with very few noteable exceptions. ASUS used their own VRM controller chip, and both MSI and ASUS included an additional phase. The best R9 285 design goes to Sapphire, with their ITX variant, since they used their own components, made an excellent cooler that also handled the VRM, and did this all within a tiny form factor.

Anyway, I am not surprised that we see the R7 265 and R9 285 show up as rebrands. While they did not surprise us with performance boosts, they did bring a number of interesting features. As long as the price is right, I'll accept them as rebrands.

JRA512

Reputable
May 7, 2015
*sigh* Not suprised, just disappointed. I'll still wait till June-July to decide what to buy. Having said that I really dont feel like spending a higher dollar amount on "Newer" rebranded items. GTX 970 or a R9 290x will be good enough for what I do. The R9 390x, 980/Titan are way out of my price range.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Lets face it, AMD cant win the battle on 2 fronts. AMD battles with the GIANT Intel on the x86 CPU market, and also with nVidia on the other front... I think AMD does a very good job imhh, given the conditions ^^. Face it, "it is all about the money"

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
This is great. AMD has discovered a new business model where they can just get rid of the R&D dept. and just rely on the marketing dept. for all their product updates.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
RIP AMD.
Well now we know why their financial statement G-up was so bleak.
"We hope this new product range will regain us some market share", Nope.
Turns out AMD need to replace all their management as well as all their engineers. What kind of retards would follow up their biggest financial losses with another round of rebrands and hope to improve their position.
Well we are going to get fleeced by Intel and Nvidia for being a one horse town but at least for a little while they will continue to produce quality products. With AMD's eventual withdrawal from the consumer market innovation will drop off from Nvidia and Intel as well.
This is the worst.

gallovfc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Wow. Rebrands are really not what they need to compete right now.
Rebrand could help since they are much less pricey to develop (joke!).
Now seriously, the only way "rebranding" is acceptable is in case of HUGE discount (in the 25% order), and then the R9 385 and up coming with the new HBM tech...

Aug 15, 2013
Eh, if they're just OEM rebrands like the HD8XXX series that's one thing. If they want the custom PC crowd to bite AMD is going to have to keep the prices low. If the 4GB 380 is around the price of a 960, the pricing will be alright. Why they didn't just come out with a 285 4GB edition, is beyond me though.

I will say that between Tom's AM3+ FX CPU error yesterday (my poor crushed hopes) and this, I think I'll be going intel+nvidea this time around.

cmi86

Distinguished
Yes they are re brands, but I really don't see what the big deal is. Every launch we all want a brand new line up but at the same time we all know it doesn't work this way. Bottom 3/4 of the stack is almost always rebrand and the new stuff is the high end upper 1/4 that trickles down through upcoming generations to refresh lower sku's. This list makes me think tahiti (not tonga X which is a different die/PCB) is finally dried up and the 7950/70 will not be making an appearance in the 3XX line up.

alextheblue

Distinguished
These are just OEM rebrands like the 8000 series. Product refreshes by the OEMs. You can safely ignore them. Nothing interesting will happen until the actual new chips are released with HBM.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Pretty sure that was just speculation at that time.

endeavour37a

Honorable
One thing for sure, AMD sure keeps us guessing what is going on with their new line up. It's a safe bet Hawaii will still be around somewhere in this new release, but where?
Maybe they will simply use the "X" variants for the consumer cards or another number system all together, who knows.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
MD seriously need to put on the brakes to their rebranding. They are have been rebranding their HD 7000 series ever since it came out some, 4 years ago.

rav_

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
They are also upgrades to GCN and have ASP and ACE enabled. Earlier versions of Tonga evidentlly did not have Asynchronous Shader Pipelines or Asynchronous Compute Engines. The rebrand upgrades do. That should mean a pretty big performance increase as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.