AMD Announces Radeon Vega Frontier Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

They haven't "announced" it yet, but you'll see Vega Nova, Eclipse, and Core releasing June 5th after Computex reveal on the 31st.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
AMD noted that the gold shroud is hand-made for each GPU
No thanks. Save yourselves the trouble and save us some $$$. The only place I want gold, in my PC, is plating the various pins & connectors (and there are even better options for that). Of course, I'm not exactly planning on buying a Frontier Edition anyways, but the professionals they listed as the primary market probably don't care either. Few will even have windowed cases.

the company has not provided any pricing information
Well, if they want performance pricing parity with Nvidia's GV100 (which I think won't be shipping to Q3, FWIW), they could charge as much as ~$3750. That's using a back-of-the-envelope figure of $18k for GV100, dividing by 120 fp16 TFLOPS, then scaling by Vega's fp16 performance of 25 TFLOPS. I don't know how big their die is, but I'd be a surprised if they weren't making decent margins at that price point.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Is this the card that has been tossed around in rumors and leaks for a year now? Looks like the answer is yes. And it is a disappointment. AMD might have a market for 2-3 months until Nvidia releases Volta. Anyone who is interested in AI deep learning already has a Pascal card, and will likely just wait a couple months until this card is destroyed outright.

If AMD does not pull a fast one, and release a monster consumer GPU at a good price point, I will be giving up and moving on. So long, and thanks for wasting my time AMD

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Oh, and AMD literally has to the end of the month for me. I have been waiting for over a year at this point for Vega. They have officially run out of time. Any delays will no longer be tolerated. Thin ice does not begin to describe what AMD is skating on with me

I really don't get all the hostility. You'd think that AMD had promised a cure for cancer and then only announced a new treatment.
These "haters" should really get a life.
AMD and nVidia are battling it out for the GPU and AI markets and the winner has to be the consumer.

So much for Volta...

12.5 TFLOPS is what I see here, and that's a good news. It means basically big Vega offer more operations per second than a Titan X or a TI... and will cost 599$ with HBM2.

That's great news and... my 10$ stock is now back around the 13$ mark. And Napples, APU are not even detailed yet.

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
For those enthusiasts, AMD is not expect to make a profit for a long, long time, at best is to hope to cut the loss down. I am sorry.

GalaxyCurse

Prominent
May 17, 2017
If they wanna pinch into the machine learning and AI segment they would have to provide proper Linux drivers, which they never have done in the past(neither have Nvidia). Sure, drivers has been released, but they have always performed worse than their Windows counterparts.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I bet "Hand-made" is some dude pushing the button on the press. Why is it everyone tries to sell "Hand-made"? also on that note, why would you want a "hand-scooped" shake from Hardee's/carls jr?

Oranthal

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

They announced their goal of being profitable by year end. Their CFO who is highly conservative stated that multiple times yesterday. Also what does that have to do with this product? Do you just like to say stupid things?

Oranthal

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

12.5 flops is great I guess people expected some stupid amazing 20 flops at $300 product. As for Naples they provided tons of info and its now called EPYC. Watch a video of the presentation from yesterday. Looks very impressive of course lets so the product in the wild first.

Giroro

Splendid
What does "hand made" even mean in the context of a machined metal shroud?

Best case it's a lie that really means an operator is pressing "go" on a pre-programmed machine.
If it's anything else, quality control is gong to be all over the place - which is a bad thing considering what people really want is high-quality precision manufacturing.

What do they even want us to think with that line? It gives the impression that they have a sweatshop full of sad people trying to pound these things out with a hammer and chisel.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

What are you talking about? They just rewrote their entire Linux stack from the ground up! Not only that, but there's a strong open source driver, as well.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radv-pro-may2017&num=1

Their new GPU Compute stack is on v1.5:

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ROCm-1.5-Released

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Careful, The AMD fanboys are strong here. I literally am running all AMD hardware, and criticizing AMD's slowness is often met with some body spouting off some ridiculous defense for that. We will be lucky to see Consumer versions of Vega before August.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Says this on a day his stock collapses 12.16% after terrible analyst meetings and news.... Ouch.

Not so much a "back around the 13$ mark"

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
FWIW, my last graphics card was Nvidia.

Wall St. is overly focused on short-term performance. I think AMD is playing a longer game. Anyway, what is it they say? "Buy on the rumor, sell on the news." So, there could be some amount of profit-taking. I also think their stock was in a bit of a bubble, after the run up on such positive signs coming out of them, recently.

BTW, I don't trade individual tech stocks, myself. Got burned one too many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.