AMD Announces Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, 1700 And Pricing, Pre-orders Begin Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

X1800 performs as i5 6600@4.0Ghz in gaming which means Kaby Lake is going to walk over. Besides attractive pricing there is really nothing here to see.

Are we going to see official benchmarks now so people can get disappointed or feel good about their Kaby Lake purchase. It is no mistake AMD is comparing against Intel 2011 v3 socket in gaming where Intel CPU is not even properly overclocked because they know Ryzen is losing big time against Kaby Lake in gaming which is also faster than even 10 Core 2011-V3 CPU.

But i do have to admit, those prices especially for unlocked X1700 are attractive and will push mainstream gaming to utilize more cores 4-6.

Now, waiting for Intel price adjustment so i can update one of the systems to 8 Core.

You know, people use their computer for things other than gaming.

But also, the i5 6600 for $220 would compete with the Ryzen lowest 4 core 4 thread chip R3 1200x for $150. Also the cheap $70 motherboard would make for a cheap gaming rig under $550. (Power Supply $40, Case $40, 8GB DDR4 ram $50, 128GB SSD $40, rx470 vid card $160). Even cheaper if you can cannibilize parts from an old pc like hard drive, case,vid card and power supply.

Fact is, even if ryzen single thread performance is 10% lower than intel, with the pricing the way it is, it will be competitive and disruptive to the market.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

There is more to a CPU than gaming, and you have no clue how good is Ryzen in games ... so how about wait for the final benchmarks

fla56

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
@freak777power -er no, that's only in some of last year's games

in any case any CPU from the last couple of years is good enough for them...

pacdrum_88

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
As a dude that edits 4K footage on a regular basis, records music, edits photos, and games... These bad boys look like the cat's meow! I'll definitely be picking one up in the coming months and relegate my Skylake build to lower level office work. ;-)

G

I couldn't help but notice that AMD tested their Ryzen CPU again 6900k by setting up dual channel memory setup for Intel thus crippling the platform...beep sorry people run quad memory channel setup. You can clearly tell where is AMD Ryzen suffering...memory controller, single threaded performance. Also they kept 6900k on stock clock speed...beep all those 6900k are running 4.4/4.5 in peoples machine. As I said i was hopping for 30% IPC over Intel across the board but actually i am seeing -10%. Yes, price is attractive but hey i already invested money in Intel years ago and all AMD did is caught up with Intel after 10 years. Again to me that is f. failure.

Guess what, if you really need CPU for video editing...you can buy 14/28 Xeon Retail running at 2.5Ghz all cores turbo 3.0Ghz and it will eat AMD Ryzen and i7 like there is no tomorrow and cost of CPU is $350. So that argument is really BS.

bloodroses

Distinguished

I assume you're referring to this article?
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/241688-new-leaked-benchmarks-show-amds-ryzen-going-toe-toe-intels-core-i7
You do realize that that was with an under clocked (3.15ghz- boost 3.3ghz) early engineering sample CPU. The actual released CPUs will bench higher. Also, in the printed publication, there are hints that the CPU can OC up to 5ghz on air:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5krghq/remember_the_canard_pc_magazine_about_zen_it_has/?st=izh2kmdd&sh=d0bea305

You might want to read this article about dual channel vs quad channel performance....
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2982965/components/quad-channel-ram-vs-dual-channel-ram-the-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.html

As with the clock speeds, refer to the reddit link I sent above.

This could be a very interesting year for CPUs.

Why would some be disappointed with the release? Broadwell IPC, or a bit higher. The 4.0 GHz single core boost one (1800X) scored 162 on single thread (my 6600K gets around the same scores @stock) and there are 8 cores! We're talking about OPTIONS here, not whether or not you gain 1% performance improvement on your favourite title vs. Kaby Lake! Shook my head.

I guess this simply means that some people are not welcomed at all to see interesting options, or at least have short foresights.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
As a gamer, I am so disappointed that all of the marketing and leaked benchmarks have compared Ryzen against only the high-end 6- and 8-core Broadwell parts. We know that those chips make up a tiny percentage of gaming PCs and we also know that for years Tom's hasn't recommend buying more than an unlocked i5 for gaming, which is still nearly $100 cheaper than the lowest-price Ryzen mentioned in this article. I guess we'll be overflowing in benchmarks and real reviews one week from now, but I'm concerned we may have to wait several more months for a Ryzen gaming chip that competes in both price and gaming performance with the unlocked i5.

They are comparing to Intel's enthusiast line because that is the direct competitor to the initial 8 core parts AMD is releasing. AMD will have 4 and 6 core parts out in Q2 which should in theory OC better on air due to lower thermals. Those parts are your direct competitors to Intel's 4 core parts like Kaby Lake for single threaded performance.

Lets wait for testing and to see how well these OC before we jump to saying " Kaby Lake is going to walk over". I have a suspicion you are going to be wrong this statement.

Its just because AMD is making the 8 core parts first so they are comparing to Intel's only 8 core parts. The 4 and 6 core parts are to hit in Q2 then you will see more comparisons.

martinisv2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I have to wait for the official bench before deciding. But I like the prices. Funny to see nvidia cards for the internal tests :)

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
No single core benchmark for an enthusiast/gamer oriented CPU? How utterly disappointing. So many people have been impatiently waiting for Ryzen as AMD's grand return to CPU competitiveness and AMD won't release a single core benchmark? I hope that testing reveals strong performance or it's mostly over for AMD as they are living on borrowed time today.

G

Let's wait official gaming benchmarks and in reality you won't see any performance gain here just better deal for performance Intel offers. Intel could totally kill Ryzen by cutting the price on their CPUs in half.

As stated at the end of this article testing will be March second when the NDA lifts and you will see independent reviews.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
MOST games are primarily GPU limited if you have any remotely decent CPU, you're only talking a few frames at most, rarely the difference between playable and not playable. So while gaming is important, and a big market, workstations and servers are where the real, reliable sources of cash come from.

Oh wait a second, are there some kind of trolls here as well? I smell them. And that's not nice, mods should be deactivating these account for good. I'm sure we don't want to be a shady rumour site. Stop feeding them, report them, mods will do the job.

Just a thought, would be a significant difference between this PR and third party benches? I don't think so. I just don't see any reason why would they just flat out lie or be ridiculously conservative.

Yeah I don't get it either. Also the IPC improvement of 52% means they have made a couple more tweaks since we saw that first engineering sample. That puts there IPC around Skylake levels which means its really close to Kaby Lake. We should all be excited even if you are an Intel fan, whatever that is, Intel will be lowering prices if these Ryzen chips really are going to be as good as its sounding. I hope the testing March 2nd proves out that these are in line with Skylake IPC that will be wonderful for competition and prices.

burtman88

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
We will see, my last AMD was FX-62 and i loved it when it first came out. Now i have a OCed 2600k 5.1 ghz cpu. So we will see how ryzen does, i am nervous to switch over to Intels 7700k due to it's horrible heat issues when OCed or just stock temps. I have a custom Liquid loops so temps wont be as bad for me as other. However people are getting it delidded just to get normal temps :/. I wonder how much i could over clock the AMD with custom liquid loops and its performance. I may turn to be a AMD fan boy again fro the CPU market. Lets see what benchmarks will bring us

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

There is a single threaded benchmark. In the first benchmark image for the 1800X, there's "Cinebench 15 1T", which is the single threaded result. Also, two paragraphs down:
AMD claimed it offers 9% more performance in the Cinebench R15 multi-threaded test (noted as nT) and matches the i7-6900K's single-core score
Obviously we need to wait for independent benchmarks and reviews though before a definitive conclusion about performance can be drawn.

Edit: @JamesSneed Kaby Lake and Skylake have identical IPC, so if Ryzen matches Skylake's IPC, it will match Kaby Lake's as well. Unless you meant to say single threaded performance rather than IPC?

G

Because AMD crippled Intel platform as much as they could to make Ryzen look good. They might as well could disable two cores on Intel CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.