News AMD Announces Ryzen 7000 Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Bundle

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
AMD should reduce their prices with a sale rather than forcibly bundling a game. Star Wars is dead. EA is revolting. If I were in the market for a GPU, this would make me put off a purchase because I wouldn't want to waste money on a game I won't play. A credit or coupon to a storefront would be better than what they're doing here. Bad move, AMD.

Reactions: thisisaname
Why lower prices when you can force every customer to buy a game, instead?
AMD should reduce their prices with a sale rather than forcibly bundling a game.
To be fair, AMD obviously isn't paying anywhere close to retail price for these keys, or even the 70% cut the publisher would normally get through a full-price sale on a storefront like Steam. Most copies will probably be going to people who weren't otherwise planning to buy the game at launch, or at all, so the publisher can afford to sell the keys to AMD at a fraction of the cost. And many will buy the CPU without taking advantage of the offer.

So, it's not like the alternative would be for AMD to reduce the price of the processor by the cost of the game. The amount the promotion is costing them is undoubtedly far less than that, and a comparable discount to their CPUs wouldn't likely be enough to suddenly convince people that the platform is a good value. But if they manage to convince some who are in the market for new hardware and are also interested in getting the game that this is going to save them a more significant amount of money, then that could make the platform more attractive to those individuals.

Reactions: helper800

DavidLejdar

Proper
Sep 11, 2022
Why lower prices when you can force every customer to buy a game, instead?

Although, the high platform costs are what's really killing AMD this Gen. How many copies of Fortnight are they giving away with those $350 B650 motherboards?
Intel chipset MBs for DDR5 aren't really that much cheaper though - right now looking at the cheapest options at a retailer's website, and the price difference is 20 Euro (here).

If one has a small budget, then sure, the DDR4 option is more affordable. But then again, if looking for an affordable build, then one may not be looking at current-gen CPUs to begin with. Not that I wouldn't understand though that some users may appreciate the option to re-use DDR4 in a newer MB with a new CPU. But when willing to spend quite some for high-end performance, then the cheapest MB may arguably not be the one such an user would pick anyhow.

In any case, I went with AM5, even without having received a game for it (would be nice if the offer would extend to 3D V-Cache CPUs though, to be released in less than 3 weeks), and I should be able to plop in new CPUs until 2025 or so, while Intel will likely ask everyone already this year to purchase a new MB for their next-gen CPUs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY