AMD announces the END OF SOCKET 754

Ed

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

From Gilles Probst
Editor
http://www.amdboard.com

AMD announces the END OF SOCKET 754 ATHLON 64 with deadline

AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
754 Athlon 64. According to the chart published today at AMDboard.com,
orders will still be accepted until March 25 and June 15 for final
deliveries before September 25. AMD also encouraged resellers to push
socket 939 Athlon 64 instead, insisting on the larger bandwidth, lower
consumption and dual-core compatibility of the latter. Finally, Athlon
64 in 2800+ and 3400+ flavor will not be replaced with socket 939
equivalent, while socket 754 Athlon 64 3700+ will be available in new
Socket 939 version during second quarter of 2005.

The chart is now posted at
http://www.amdboard.com/amdroadmap.html

Cheers,

"Ed" <eat@joes.com> wrote in message
> From Gilles Probst
> Editor
> http://www.amdboard.com
>

> AMD announces the END OF SOCKET 754 ATHLON 64 with deadline
>
> AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
> 754 Athlon 64. According to the chart published today at AMDboard.com,
> orders will still be accepted until March 25 and June 15 for final
> deliveries before September 25. AMD also encouraged resellers to push
> socket 939 Athlon 64 instead, insisting on the larger bandwidth, lower
> consumption and dual-core compatibility of the latter. Finally, Athlon
> 64 in 2800+ and 3400+ flavor will not be replaced with socket 939
> equivalent, while socket 754 Athlon 64 3700+ will be available in new
> Socket 939 version during second quarter of 2005.
>
> The chart is now posted at
> http://www.amdboard.com/amdroadmap.html

As noted on the chart and speculated by most anyway, it is NOT the end of
socket 754. It is the end of the A64 on the socket 754. Chips will still be
made for the S754 in the form of Semprons and Turions.

keith

On Thu, 12 May 2005 17:20:25 -0400, Yadayada wrote:

> "Ed" <eat@joes.com> wrote in message
>> From Gilles Probst
>> Editor
>> http://www.amdboard.com
>>

>> AMD announces the END OF SOCKET 754 ATHLON 64 with deadline
>>
>> AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
>> 754 Athlon 64. According to the chart published today at AMDboard.com,
>> orders will still be accepted until March 25 and June 15 for final
>> deliveries before September 25. AMD also encouraged resellers to push
>> socket 939 Athlon 64 instead, insisting on the larger bandwidth, lower
>> consumption and dual-core compatibility of the latter. Finally, Athlon
>> 64 in 2800+ and 3400+ flavor will not be replaced with socket 939
>> equivalent, while socket 754 Athlon 64 3700+ will be available in new
>> Socket 939 version during second quarter of 2005.
>>
>> The chart is now posted at
>> http://www.amdboard.com/amdroadmap.html
>>

> As noted on the chart and speculated by most anyway, it is NOT the end of
> socket 754. It is the end of the A64 on the socket 754. Chips will still be
> made for the S754 in the form of Semprons and Turions.

Sure, I always though socket-754 for A64 chips was rather weak anyway.
It's still interesting for bargain-basement socket-A replacement
systems though.

--
Keith

Ed wrote:
> AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
> 754 Athlon 64.

Bad move on AMD's part. Some of the best 754 pin based motherboards only
came out in the last 8 to 10 months.

Porkster

Distinguished
May 13, 2005

"EwwHww" <ewwhww@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
> Ed wrote:
>> AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
>> 754 Athlon 64.
>
> Bad move on AMD's part. Some of the best 754 pin based motherboards only
> came out in the last 8 to 10 months.

They have to expand or they will trail further behind Intel's new range of
technologies.

Andrew

Porkster wrote:
> "EwwHww" <ewwhww@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ed wrote:
>>
>>>AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
>>>754 Athlon 64.
>>
>>Bad move on AMD's part. Some of the best 754 pin based motherboards only
>>came out in the last 8 to 10 months.
>>

> They have to expand or they will trail further behind Intel's new range of
> technologies.

Bwahahahah. You really need to read the review at tomshardware
comparing Intels and AMDs latest technologies. Intel are behind AMD....
waaaaay behind. See the link below!

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050509/index.html

Porkster wrote:
> "EwwHww" <ewwhww@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ed wrote:
>>
>>>AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
>>>754 Athlon 64.
>>
>>Bad move on AMD's part. Some of the best 754 pin based motherboards only
>>came out in the last 8 to 10 months.
>>

> They have to expand or they will trail further behind Intel's new range of
> technologies.

You really are out of touch aren't you ? Review after review
after review has shown that Intel doesn't have anything that can
compete with AMD. Even Intel has admitted they screwed the
pooch and have fallen behind AMD.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

"EwwHww" <ewwhww@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
> Ed wrote:
> > AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
> > 754 Athlon 64.
>
> Bad move on AMD's part. Some of the best 754 pin based motherboards only
> came out in the last 8 to 10 months.

Most great boards are either early proto boards (too much power regulation
that isnt "required) or at the end of the life..
I dont think it's a bad move, anyone doing their research would have known
754 was a bad purchase move..
If I could say bad move, it would have been to them releasing this line to
begin with.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:54:22 +0000, rstlne wrote:

> "EwwHww" <ewwhww@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
>> Ed wrote:
>> > AMD has officially informed European resellers about the end of socket
>> > 754 Athlon 64.
>>
>> Bad move on AMD's part. Some of the best 754 pin based motherboards only
>> came out in the last 8 to 10 months.
>>

> Most great boards are either early proto boards (too much power regulation
> that isnt "required) or at the end of the life..
> I dont think it's a bad move, anyone doing their research would have known
> 754 was a bad purchase move..
> If I could say bad move, it would have been to them releasing this line to
> begin with.

754 was only a bad purchase move if you planned on keeping for more than 5
years. Heck, 939 is due to be replaced in about a year, why isn't anyone
calling it a bad purchase move. There will always be newer boards. Even
now a 754 board is still a decent buy unless you plan on going to X2 or
want something faster than a 3700+. Perofrmance wise, the 939 only offers
about a 3% performance increase over the 754 with cpu's running at the
same clockspeed and cache size. For about $200 I can buy a 754 board and
cpu that will compare in speed to a 939 4000+ that cost 3 times as much.
Not such a bad buy IMO.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Wes> On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:54:22 +0000, rstlne wrote:
>> "EwwHww" <ewwhww@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Ed wrote: > AMD has officially informed European resellers about
>>> the end of socket > 754 Athlon 64.
>>>
>>> Bad move on AMD's part. Some of the best 754 pin based
>>> motherboards only came out in the last 8 to 10 months.
>>>

>> Most great boards are either early proto boards (too much power
>> regulation that isnt "required) or at the end of the life.. I dont
>> think it's a bad move, anyone doing their research would have
>> known 754 was a bad purchase move.. If I could say bad move, it
>> would have been to them releasing this line to begin with.

Wes> 754 was only a bad purchase move if you planned on keeping for
Wes> more than 5 years. Heck, 939 is due to be replaced in about a
Wes> year, why isn't anyone calling it a bad purchase move. There
Wes> will always be newer boards. Even now a 754 board is still a
Wes> decent buy unless you plan on going to X2 or want something
Wes> faster than a 3700+. Perofrmance wise, the 939 only offers about
Wes> a 3% performance increase over the 754 with cpu's running at the
Wes> same clockspeed and cache size. For about $200 I can buy a 754
Wes> board and cpu that will compare in speed to a 939 4000+ that
Wes> cost 3 times as much. Not such a bad buy IMO.

True - 754 was around longer than many other cpu lines. It is still a
good purchase to buy a 754 setup now.

Buying a system is usually for the "NOW", and not the future.

Later

Yadayada wrote:
> "Ed" <eat@joes.com> wrote in message
>
>>From Gilles Probst
>>Editor
>>http://www.amdboard.com
>>

>>AMD announces the END OF SOCKET 754 ATHLON 64 with deadline

>>The chart is now posted at
>>http://www.amdboard.com/amdroadmap.html
>>

> As noted on the chart and speculated by most anyway, it is NOT the end of
> socket 754. It is the end of the A64 on the socket 754. Chips will still be
> made for the S754 in the form of Semprons and Turions.

And this, fortunately, lets us hope there will be reliable, stable
socket 754 mainboards at a reasonable price (the ASRock K8S8X no
longer being offered, e.g., presumably because of its high price).

BTW - MSI produce an interesting 754 mobo with both PCIe and AGR slots
(the latter for a reduced range of AGP display adapters), the K8N Neo-3F
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo3-F&class=mb

Roy