AMD Announces Threadripper 2970WX and 2920X availability, Adds Dynamic Local Mode

Sep 17, 2018
$1,299 cpu not sure how you can call that more accessible. to the vast majority of people its stratospherically out of reach

stdragon

Admirable
I was wondering about that bottleneck. I know that in dual socket servers, that with VMs you want to prevent NUMA spanning. Basically, each CPU has direct access to its own bank of RAM. Each CPU package can cross over to the member bank on the other side, but in doing so there's a performance penalty.

Well, in many ways this like NUMA, but within the CPU package. Think of two socketed CPUs in one package. Anytime a process is split between two dies instead of running multiple threads on the same die, there will be a similar performance hit as that link between the two is the bottleneck.

Anyways, I'm very glad that AMD had a solution to this.

rinosaur

Prominent
Apr 6, 2018

The target audience for TR is content creators who normally have to shell out big money for wide processing loads. This is $500 less than the 2990 and will probably match it in *some* workloads. $500 saved will buy you 64GB of RAM.

Aug 2, 2018
I wonder how this Dynamic mode is made secure ? I dont like it security wise , and I expect hackers will soon use it to find back doors to the system memory.

stdragon

Admirable
It's a Windows service based application provided by AMD. But ultimately this would be better implemented at the OS kernel. Hopefully the next build of Windows 10 will have it implemented so that an application isn't required anymore.

Oct 6, 2018

Because it is not for the vast majority of people; it's for extreme workstations - creating movies, engineering , architecture, designing , etc.

It is the first 32 core / 64 thread CPU and at $1,299 it's a fantastic value ... or you could pay $2,000 for the 18 core Intel i9-7980XE .

So for powerful industry level performance at the consumer level, yes ... call it very accessible.

Oct 6, 2018

for sure ... the 2970 is like a barely legal powerful street car ... and because it's ahead of its time , some streets and drivers ( pun intended ) can't handle her .... yet .

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
"The range-topping Threadripper 2990WX introduced the first 32-core, 64-thread processor to the high-end desktop... but it also comes with an eye-watering $1,799 price tag."

Well, what are you accustomed to see for 32-core pricing? This is CHEAP to anyone who actually has a use for it !! Less journo auto-text, please.