AMD Announces TrustZone Partnership with ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

iam guessing Intel already has this and is not present on x-86 licence and hence they had to get it from somewhere.

G

It seems like a waste to put an entire ARM CPU on the core to do nothing but trusting execution. They sounds like a complete kluge.

G

As if anyone needed another reason not to buy AMD hardware. AMD needs to fire this new CEO, he's going to drag them out of business.

( okay, starts the flames )

The diversification of processing accelerates. I think GPGPU was the first step towards this trend, and now thanks to AMD, ARM cores may be complementing a x86 core sooner than we think.

G

Diversification has always been there. That is why they had coprocessors for everything (floating point calcs, video, DA conversions, audio, bus logic, signal processing, etc). What we have now is a unification of those tasks under 1 piece of silicon. The question becomes is this the best solution? 1 silicon do all?

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Good, now Intel can kick both of their asses.[/citation]

Yeah cause we only want 1 chip manufacturer/designer out there controlling the market. $1000 core i5's anyone?

[citation][nom]sam12309[/nom]iam guessing Intel already has this and is not present on x-86 licence and hence they had to get it from somewhere.[/citation]

They do. Since Sandy Bridge, Intels CPUs have a hardware based system that would allow you to wipe your system or even "brick" it if it got stolen to stop theft of sensitive data.

[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]Yeah cause we only want 1 chip manufacturer/designer out there controlling the market. $1000 core i5's anyone?[/citation]

Then go tell that to AMDs CEO Rory Reed who doesn't want to truly compete with Intel anymore and also was quoted as saying users have enough CPU power and don't need anymore.

AMD needs to compete with Intel but if the current CEO does it his way, Intel might just be fighting themselves on the DT and server market.

G

AMD is competing. I have no idea what people are talking about. This whole trusted execution thing proves that even though it is a kluge. AMD is attacking the mobile market now with Trinity along with the low end desktop market. They realize that they do not have the manufacturing to compete with Intel on the high end (desktop, server, laptop), but they are still keeping prices low by putting out high performing low end parts. The issue with AMD is how late they are. Heck, Intel didn't produce Ivy until April. Had AMD come out with Trinity in 2011 like they were supposed to, we would have super low budget Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge parts that were already reduced. AMD's lateness is what is killing the market. Even desktop Trinity may not be out for the public until late in the Holiday season and only the big vendors will have systems ready for quarter 4 it seems.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]Yeah cause we only want 1 chip manufacturer/designer out there controlling the market. $1000 core i5's anyone?[/citation]

Intel is anyway the only chip manufacturer/designer who controls the market. Yet Core i5 costs $200-220.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
AMD still provides solid competition in the low/mid range sectors of the market. This keeps i5's relatively cheap. Yes it sucks AMD does not compete on the high end, but not having them at all would raise prices. Look at prices of Intel chips before the Athlon.

Don't get me wrong, I love my i7 processor, but even some competition is a good thing.

meltbox360

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]They do. Since Sandy Bridge, Intels CPUs have a hardware based system that would allow you to wipe your system or even "brick" it if it got stolen to stop theft of sensitive data.Then go tell that to AMDs CEO Rory Reed who doesn't want to truly compete with Intel anymore and also was quoted as saying users have enough CPU power and don't need anymore.AMD needs to compete with Intel but if the current CEO does it his way, Intel might just be fighting themselves on the DT and server market.[/citation]

vPro has been around much longer than sandy bridge. I believe what you are talking about is what vPro does. Is that even what its called? I know it had pro in the name...

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Intel just bought McAfee and have already stated their security future, AMD kinda got screwed without the money to "buyout" a security company. But I see more than just security in the future between x86/arm/GPU.

AND Intel is a monster. Intel makes more PROFIT than AMD and VIA has in revenue. So please stop with the AMD is dead they won’t make a I7 competitor. Dumping their “puny” millions into having the fastest product isnt good for them, or us. They let Intel do it and Intel loses $ on it. The I5 and I3 and lower is where they make their billions. AMD cant brute force their process. The fact that they have been able to keep up, and have several miracle pushing them above Intel shows that they aren’t dying.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

On the bright side, there's money to be made by investing in Intel...

triny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
AMD knows that the fastest cpu doesn't sell
what sells is cheap and offering what people really want
for every kook who buys a 1000$ Intel cpu there is a million people clamoring for a cheap solution.
If Intel fails to board the HSA wagon eventually their parts will be 5000$ each as they scrape the barrel of multi core cpu design trying to keep up with HSA.
progress waits for no one

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
[citation][nom]optimuscream[/nom]Is that mean in the near future , we can play Crysis 2/3 in our gadget ?[/citation]
Why would you play crysis 3 on your watch?

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
People trying to argue AMD has good strategy: LOL @ you. Intel could afford to wipe out AMD in the low end segment. It's possible when you have 95% of the server market that comes with fat profit margins.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
They got TrustZoned! (when they think they were gonna make an acquisition but find out the other company wasn't interested)
Sorry. I had to crack that!

baishulianmeng

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
arm is popular these days and most people dont need such high capability to deal with some simple stuff like browsing net and video watch, so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.